Author Topic: Why I'm Homeless -- Necessarily Long, but I hope instructive...  (Read 5541 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Why I'm Homeless -- Necessarily Long, but I hope instructive...
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
Ok, Pet Peeve time.  I'm going to post this in its entirety but I'm going to highlight a few things that just piss me off.

bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sat Feb-02-08 04:32 PM

Original message
Why I'm Homeless -- Necessarily Long, but I hope instructive...Homeless but has internet ....

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=257x5822

Introductory Information

Many years ago, when my child was first kidnapped and I was stunned into dysfunctionality, I was able on public support to go find and rent my own apartment. Now, the pay is so low that there is NOTHING, not even a garage, that one can afford to rent on public assistance. Disabled and elderly people, many of us getting as low as $637 a month!, are forced into public housing. There are 9 million of us who need public housing. There are 6 million units available. Even a first grader can do that math... there are 3 million of us at any given time to have no place to live.

I didn't realize being 'stunned into dysfuncionality' was a disorder we (the tax payer) was forced to compensate for.

I was living in one of these Section 8 apartments. I didn't want to be there.. middle of the downtown of a big city, depressing as hell, and LOUD. Most of these buildings are privately owned, which most people don't realize, and there is NO oversight as to how they are run. From the beginning in this building, which was owned and operated by the next door Buddhist Temple, there was at least one manager who was just downright MEAN. And elderly Japanese man, he always had a mean word for anyone who crossed his path. It was clear, after being there for a while, that they definitely favored their own, which was understandable to me, but it certainly gave me first-hand experience in what it's like to be the minority, and treated as such. I tried to take the experience in that light. One of their favorite things, knowing that we were trapped with no options, was to tell us that if we didnt' like it there, we should move. That'll mess with your head over time. At one point, I got to know the Buddhist priest, and when I told him this is what was said to us, he got angry, and said, "This is America, and nobody should be told to leave!" For a while that particular ugliness stopped... the priest had obviously had words with the management.

Section 8 housing has no oversight ... right.  Now we find out the property is owned by Buddhists ..... and this is the governments problem how?!  She is also saying they have NO options, remember that one.

Then that particular priest left, and so did the old manager, only to be replaced by another one who cared about us even less, and was only out for her own agrandizement. That was soon followed by an assistant manager who was not only as mean as the old guy, but lived in the building and went out of his way to speak horridly to every tenant he came across, at whatever time of day. It made life a living hell. There was no escape from the meanness.

One time this little hitler commenced to yelling at one of the tenants during a tenant meeting... he was very abusive, and went on a tirade. There was much uproar about this, and apparently even the shy little old Japanese ladies complained to the Buddhist Temple. The little hitler was told that he must go to therapy if he wanted to keep his job. Well, I knew that would take the problem off the table temporarily, and sure enough, within a matter of months, he was back at it, yelling at people in the office, in the lobby, outside in the garden, just wherever he chose to abuse us. Many people saw the futility, and those who could, moved from the building, which meant many long-term residents left. That still didn't affect the powers that be.

Now wait a dang minute here, I thought there were NO options!  No, that won't affect the powers that be because there are more people who are 'stunned into dysfunctionality' who will fill those empty spots.

One day my neighbor down the hall, David, a very sweet and quiet person, who always had a smile and kind greeting for everyone, told me that he had been humiliated by little hitler one too many times. One day, he got on the elevator, and little hitler was the only other one in the elevator. He told me he got right in his face, started yelling at him, and told him that NEVER AGAIN would he tolerate his abuse. He told me he said to him, "I know where you live, and I will come get you, take you to the pent house and dangle you over the edge by your feet while you cry and beg for mercy. Then I'll just happen to let go, and laugh as you tumble down those 20 floors. Oh, and by the way, should you decide to tell someone.... I *never* said a word to you." I said, "David! You didn't really do that!" He said, "yup, I did, and he has avoided me ever since!" When an abuser can turn a quiet, sweet person like David into one who threatens violence, then the situation has become horrendous!

So this man is big enough and strong enough to threaten the manager but can't do any kind of work to support himself?

David was quite ill, and the last thing he needed was abuse. There were many elderly people in the building who were doing everything they could just to hold on and not be sent to a nursing home. They certainly didn't need abuse. There were many other ill people who couldn't spare the energy to deal with this crap --one woman I particularly remember had cancer, and just hid in her apartment to avoid him. What a life.

One day I saw this little hitler pushing and pulling an elderly chinese woman -- Because she couldn't speak English! -- and he just about had her down to the pavement. I yelled at him .. "Mike, STOP! We're human beings, not cattle!" Apparently I surprised him enough that he let up pressure just enough that she got away. Another few seconds, and he might very well have had her down, and who knows what bones might have been broken. She was shaking like a leaf, and I tried to reassure her, without Chinese, that I was going to stay with her, and that it wasn't her fault. There were other tenants around, but nobody spoke up.... that is the nature of abuse and power.

The family of this woman immediately moved her out of the building, and she was gone. I spent days making phone calls, trying to find an organization which would DO something, now that we had clear evidence of PHYSICAL abuse. To no avail.... each organization only referred me to another one, and another one, ad nauseum. I gave up. I couldn't believe that even physical abuse had no recourse, but that is the fact.

Again we find out they do, in fact, have options.

As you can imagine, he turned his wrath on me. No good deed, etc. All this time, since he was the one we had to go through to get our yearly Section 8 recertifications, we had been avoiding him. We went to the Resources Coordinator for the building, who would get the papers from little hitler, we would fill them out and get copies of the necessary documents and give them to her, and she would turn them into him, then she'd get the paper back for us to sign, and turn the signed paper back into him. After my clash with him, he would no longer accept this, as he couldn't stand that people could avoid him. He made up his own rule, which was NOT HUD rule, that we had to go through him. The Resource Coordinator would no longer stand up to him, and the manager of the building insisted we all obey his homemade rule.

I knew that I could NOT deal with him alone, so I went back to the phone, and after 3 days of constant calls, it was clear there was NO RECOURSE... either suffer the abuse or leave. I finally did what I didn't want to do, and went to the Victim's Assistance program, knowing it was inevitable that would mean the cops would be drawn in. This city, Denvoid, is known for abusive cops, and I had dealt with a few of them when my car was broken in, so this was the very last resort for me.

The Victim's advocate was the ONLY one who took an interest at all. She was appalled at the abuse. Of course, she wanted me to talk with a cop. This is the one little bit of humor... the officer who came in is named.... Snow White. I kid you not. Well, dear Snow showed no compassion, no sign at all that she had any empathy for what we were going through. She did, however, agree to go with me when I had to meet with little hitler for my recertification.

We agreed to meet in the lobby at 1pm, and the door to the office was still closed. When it opened and we went in, all the managers were in there, and the sound was palpable as their jaws hit the floor to see a cop in full uniform with gun and all accompanying me to see little hitler. I said nothing to him, and he was clearly shaken.

When the business was concluded and the cop and I left, we got out the door and she turned to me and said, "Well, how was it?" I just burst out laughing, and said that was the first time he had spoken in a tone that could be heard. She looked at me puzzled, and I said, "His favorite thing, especially with elders who have little hearing, is to talk very softly, so nobody can hear him. Then, when we say, "I didn't hear you", HE YELLS AT US.. What a dear. Anyway, I asked the cop to keep a file on him, and she was clearly not wanting to, but gave me her card, and said she'd see if she could open a file.

When someone tells me they didn't hear what I said (and I work around a lot of older folks) I RAISE MY VOICE so they can hear me.

Thereafter, I made up little cards that I carried around with me that had both the phone number for the Victim Advocate and the cop (yes, many didn't believe there could actually be an officer named Snow White!). When someone would complain to me about little hitler, I'd say, Do you want to do something about it? If they said no, I just replied, Sorry, complaining won't help, and I can't listen to complaints anymore. I'd had enough of helplessness, and trying single-handedly to get action. If they said yes, if there was something to do, they would, I'd give them a card, and tell them to call those numbers and make a complaint where it could have an effect. I found out later that even one of the staff people called the cop to complain! I was told that the cop actually called the Resources Coordinator and basicallly said, "What the hell is going on there?!" Apparently the cop had had enough calls of complaint to make her realize it wasn't just me.

However, I was told that nothing could be done. That if the little hitler abused one group but not another, they could get him on descrimination. But since he was an equal opportunity abuser, we'd just have to live with it or move.

Now, lest you think this building was just one rotten apple in the barrel, let me assure you that is not the case. During this time I was working with an organization devoted to getting single-payer health care. I had come to know one of the doctors involved with this effort, and had told her what I was dealing with in this group. I had learned about a Section 8 tenants group, and set her up to speak about health care at their next meeting. She later told me that during their break, she listened to their conversations, and they were all asking each other where they lived, if there were vacancies, and how the management was. They ALL were upset with the abuse of the management in all the buildings, and trying to find something better! This made quite an impresssion on this doctor, and she was taking me much more seriously after that.

Another of my neighbors (David had died by this time.... which is why I feel like I can use his name...) got fed up with the abuse, and set up a tenants meeting with a lawyer from Legal Aid, a HUD representative, someone from the Housing Authority, and several other "officials". She asked me to take part, and I said I would if I could, but I knew by then there was nothing that could be done unless all the tenants got together and staged a HUGE rebellion. At this meeting, they were basically told what I had been told before... nothing could be done. She came to me afterwards and said, "You were right, and I can't fight it anymore." She left and moved into a nother building and told me later that the management was better, but it was horribly infested with bugs.

After the year with the cop, I had a Lutheran pastor who would accompany me for about 5 years as I had to apply for recertification. With his presence, little hitler wasn't so abusive. Then, he changed the date of the recertifications, and the pastor was out of town. I had been very ill, and was at the end of what I could deal with. I also knew that I was wearing out, and couldn't take any more abuse, or I'd become just as ugly as they were. So, I finally decided to just leave. Just pull out and leave all my stuff behind, and just take off.

Good for you!  You have made the first step in being an independent, productive member of society.

First and foremost, EVERYONE should be receiving enough money to be able to rent a market rate apartment! By forcing us into public housing we are made a special and powerless group, at the mercy of those who would take advantage of us, and they KNOW we're powerless, and like to make sure we know that, too.

And at whose standard should WE provide this apartment to you?

Second, EVERY public and private organization or government entity that serves poor and homeless people MUST include the voices and needs and wants of that group of people! This should go without saying, and it used to be a given. At the very least, there needs to be an ombudsman, seperate from the entity, where the people "served" can make reports on what they have dealt with, how they were treated, whether their needs were met, etc.

Both sHill and Abamination are going to run right out and draft legislation that would protect people like me from this kind of abuse, right? Riiiiggghhhhtttt......

With the shortage of public housing, who is going to take on the issue of rampant abuse in said housing?

We can give $$$ to Coalition for the Homeless, but they already know of this, and are doing.... what?

There are many Civil Rights organizations..... who among them is supporting people abused in public housing? None, that I could find...

Does Edwards' Institute on poverty have a section that addresses abuse and legal problems of those in public housing? What would it take to get him to include this and move on it?

How can we organize some massive interviews of people who are living in public housing, to find the measure of the problem?

I know this is long and involved, and a huge problem. But PLEASE take the time to read, digest what the reality is, and let's put our heads together. There is CONSIDERABLE brain wattage here with Edwardians, and I think we can come up with some ideas!

Thank you for all your considerable support!

Now, there is a lot of stuff in bold here on which I did not comment.  Those are all the JOBS this person has taken on who cannot earn a living for themselves.  There is a LOT of work done in this narrative (if it is indeed true) so why can this person not be a productive member of society?!

There in ends my rant.  Sorry this is long but I didn't see much I could cut out.  Talk amongst yourselves. 

KC
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:45:33 AM by Texacon »
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

Re: Why I'm Homeless -- Necessarily Long, but I hope instructive...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
Clearly these people need more money and assets because they are adding so much to society.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
The DUmbasses' natural state is in misery. I fail to comprehend how someone could be complacent with that type of thinking. Then again, all of those fools play off of one another.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
Ah, you must have read the subway cat's post of this this morning too.

I thought it rather long and disjointed, but didn't think that adding comments, such as you did, would make it more readable.

It's great.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »

I thought it rather long and disjointed, but didn't think that adding comments, such as you did, would make it more readable.

It's great.

I read one of your posts where you spoke of this post.  Yup, it's long but it hit a nerve with me.  I really have a problem with this person talking about all the WORK they have done (not to mention the 1 - 1/2 hours it says it took to put this narrative together) and simply cannot be a productive member of society.  I have to call BS on people who do this.  It could be doing medical transcripts or billing or research or ... any number of things to help itself yet it CHOOSES to be a burden to society then has the nerve to post garbage like this!!

bobbolink if you ever see this I would welcome you to come here and defend yourself.  If I'm wrong about your disability I will gladly apologize.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
Great find and great comments. I totally agree.

They are such parasites. It really makes my blood boil to think about it honestly.

And you know what? I see disabled people working all of the time. Certainly there are people who geniunely cannot work. I get that. But unless this DUmmie has a severe physical handicap, I don't understand the problem. He/She is clearly literate and has a command of the English language, not to mention computer skills.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:34:15 PM by DixieBelle »
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
A professional victim :banghead: As the OP said, she had the incentive and resourcefulness to sit on the phone and call for days on end to get someone to give a shit about something she doesn't even care about: her own well being, yet she can't even take a telemarketer job or conducting customer service surveys or something? A lot of those jobs are hiring around here for 11 and 12 bucks and hour. In a week and a half she can actually earn what she gets a month on disability and still have 2 1/2 weeks of pay leftover to maybe..hmm..save?  :hammer: Anything has to be an improvement over so little money a month that I'm convinced many of these folks are just plain lazy. They want to have freedom in their schedules but still be provided with a means to exist.

As for the housing, you get what you pay for. Seems like a lot of slumlords get involved with public housing. Start earning a living, rent from a reputable individual or management team, and start seeing you treated with more respect. Respect is earned...I have very infrequently seen section 8 individuals treat their 'free' homes in the sort of manner that demands the respect of the owner of the place or anyone looking in. Go through the section 8 areas of Miami..the building aren't only rundown, but there is trash all over the place. I really think it is the whole mindset...people on section 8 are so used to having everything provided for, they can't even take their trash to a friggin trash bin for disposal. They are little more then spoiled children. As I've said before the low income end of the spectrum often mimics the super-wealthy end as far as treating everything like it is disposable and expectation of being handed everything.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »
Many years ago, when my child was first kidnapped and I was stunned into dysfunctionality,

There is something about the way this is phrased that makes me suspect the English translation for this passage is something along the lines of "Back when the court terminated my parental rights after finding me incapable of taking care of my child..."

:mental:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »

It's great.

was that the thread UP started called "why bobbolink is homeless" ...? i thought bobbolink was maybe a dog or something, so i didnt read it..

as for bobbolink, he wants tax payers to spend money gathering information on how many homeless people there are out there so we can provide more public housing?

no.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:11:50 PM by Lauri »

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »
As for the housing, you get what you pay for. Seems like a lot of slumlords get involved with public housing. Start earning a living, rent from a reputable individual or management team, and start seeing you treated with more respect. Respect is earned...I have very infrequently seen section 8 individuals treat their 'free' homes in the sort of manner that demands the respect of the owner of the place or anyone looking in. Go through the section 8 areas of Miami..the building aren't only rundown, but there is trash all over the place. I really think it is the whole mindset...people on section 8 are so used to having everything provided for, they can't even take their trash to a friggin trash bin for disposal. They are little more then spoiled children. As I've said before the low income end of the spectrum often mimics the super-wealthy end as far as treating everything like it is disposable and expectation of being handed everything.

Real Estate is what I do.  One of the things we do is manage properties and I own several as well.  I get calls quite often asking if we will accept Section 8 housing.  We will not.  The reason we won't is the very reason you listed above, they simply will not take care of the property.  It is really hard to have pride in something you did not earn.

KC

*Stolen

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
In california Section 8 pays 90% of market rents. I agree Texacon. These people are just incapable of taking care of anything, mush less themselves.  The losers call section 8 and SSDI the holy grail and will never have to work again.  These same people get the finest medical care for free.  I guess it is wroth it due to their contribution to society. :thatsright:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »
How many years does it take to get your shit together and get off welfare? 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
Hey Bobo, I could have sent out 10 resumes in the time it took you to write that sillyass post.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 01:34:56 PM »
Hey Bobo, I could have sent out 10 resumes in the time it took you to write that sillyass post.  :whatever:

LOL  :-)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
Many years ago, when my child was first kidnapped and I was stunned into dysfunctionality,

There is something about the way this is phrased that makes me suspect the English translation for this passage is something along the lines of "Back when the court terminated my parental rights after finding me incapable of taking care of my child..."

:mental:

Ya know DAT you may be on to something there.  The more I read that statement the more what you have written sounds dead on.

KC

*Stolen

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »
There are 9 million of us who need public housing. There are 6 million units available. Even a first grader can do that math... there are 3 million of us at any given time to have no place to live.

Oooh Oooh!
Let me play the public school first grader and answer your question:
My daddy #1 ass-plows my daddy #2.
Therefore, 9 million people needing PUBLIC housing and only 6 million units available, the answer is: Spark Plug racism!
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »
bobbolink  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Mon Feb-04-08 10:15 PM  Ok, it evidently has no problem getting to a computer or it definitely has a computer with an internet connection and we all know how important that is to survival.

Response to Reply #22

23. Absolutely, it needs to be "updated"! Get rid of the damned paternalism!

ANY organization, charity, governmental entity, etc., that purports to be in service to poor people absolutely MUST include poor people on it's board, have open dialogue with us, etc.

We don't have kids on a School Board or convicts on a Parole Board ... why should the 'poor' be treated specially?

PLUS... there is NO EXCUSE for not having an avenue for addressing abuse! In this day and age... to not have any method for redress of abuse is unforgiveable!

This abuse was in a property owned by Buddhists!  This is NOT a government problem.  If it was my rent property and I had agreed to take Section 8 housing it would be MY responsibility to make sure you were taken care of (which is why I won't take Section 8 housing).

HOW could we start to correct this?

You to talk to the monks!

Personally, I'm thinking class action suit.... Certainly it is a widespread issue.

Thank God I don't allow you freaks into my property.  I could just see myself having to defend from a friggin Class Action suit!

How 'bout groups across the country interviewing HUD tenants?

How could we get lawyers involved in this?

Again, if you spent 1/2 the time trying to find a job you are planning on spending, and have spent, on this issue, you would be gainfully employed and screaming about the leeches you would be supporting.

I'm reading a book now where a doctor involved in a lawsuit about contamination of water said he believes that lawsuits are a good way to bring about social change.

Yeah, suing those who are trying to help you always brings about social change.  They generally get out of the Section 8 housing market and you have less places to choose from.

Given that Edwards is a lawyer, I say.... It's our destination... :)

Edwards is a multi, multi millionaire who made his money off of idiots like you and you think he is some sort of god.

:censored: This makes me angry.

KC

Do you have any further info on that housing in Amsterdam? Sounds interesting....

*Stolen

Offline Lauri

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 02:09:25 PM »
did he ever get his kidnapped kid back?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

That is what I want to know.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »

That is what I want to know.

You would probably have to file Freedom of Information Act papers to learn the truth of that.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 02:21:38 PM »
Someone tried to get it to answer the question about the 'kidnapping' and there is no response;

asdjrocky  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)

Sun Feb-03-08 06:08 AM

Response to Original message
16. Hey bobbo-

Took me a while to get to this, I had one of those long, long, real world work days. I read your story with great interest, and I tried to take away some lessons.

But I found it hard getting pass the first line. I had no idea you lost a child to kidnapping, this is a terrible thing. Have you spoken of this before, and I just wasn't aware? I assume it's okay to ask, since you spoke about it, all be it briefly. That' all I'll say on it, unless you'd like to discus it further. You're free, as always, to tell me to shut the hell up.

I wish only that I had some advice for you. I'm sure, with all your research, you know far more than I do. I did listen, and I'm trying to learn. Which is what I believe you want for us all to do.

KC

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »
hmm...I guess "well the courts haven't reinstated my visitation rights" doesn't sound as snappy.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Flame

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 06:56:41 PM »
all you guys are discussing this guy story as if it's true???  I'd be surprised if one out of every 10 statements in that story is half based on a fact.

Offline lastparker

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »
OH NOES!!!! The freebies aren't good enough!

The liberal mantra.  I've been wondering when they'll receive car vouchers.....and once that becomes policy, they can cry because it isn't a BMW.

So, Bobbolink is doing the "why aren't the homeless consulted about what THEY want?" cry AGAIN.......

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Fri Dec-08-06 06:54 PM
Original message
The other side of Habitat For Humanity
 Advertisements [?]Since there are so many advocating donations to this organization, I would like for all of you to consider that there are also downsides. I don't have much time to get this writtten, so please excuse typos, etc.

I also used to think that Habitat was wonderful, even though I knew it would never be an answer for me. (No, single people just aren't thought of in Habitat--or anywhere, for that matter. We singles have NO help with homelessness).

Habitat really isn't for homeless people anyway--it's for those who already have jobs and a place to live, just not a big enough place, or ...... Habitat is also for those whose health permits them to give 500 hours of time to building a house. Many of us simply cannot do that. So, it's obviously a niche charity--for a very small group of people.

Now, that wouldnt' be so bad if there were also groups who were as well known and as popular doing a big job for homeless people, especially singles, and were getting a number of them into their own homes. BUT....that's just it... there is NOTHING. There is NO GROUP working for those of us who aren't served by Habitat! We're throw-aways, who can just fade away and....die.

Look, for instance, and what happens to those homes. Once that house is turned over to the new homeowner, it is completely theirs to do with as they wish. They could turn it around the next day and sell it for a huge profit, and that would be fine. How many of these homes are still in the hands of low-income people? How many of these homes are now owned by those who can afford market-rate housing? I don't think anyone even knows, because I know that where I am, there has never been any followup.

Compare that with housing built specifically for low-income people. In five years, that housing is still there and available for those of us without $$$ to invest in housing. In 10 years, it is still there for people like me who have NOWHERE to live, except our car. In 15 or 20 years....there are still people living there who don't have other choices. No so with Habitat homes.

We homeless people feel invisible, and are hurting because we simply aren't considered in these plans.

The image of Jimmy Carter with hammer in hand is very endearing, and I also think very highly of the man.

But, please, consider that Habitat is very appealing to many people, including conservatives, and that we homeless people really badly need the support of liberals and progressives to help us to take care of our needs, which aren't being addressed.

Habitat has all the support it needs... we can use your thoughts on our problems.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2884433

Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »
A throw away with an internet connection.  :whatever: Even if he/she is surfing from a public terminal, there's no excuse for not looking for a damned job!!! Close DU and get on a job site or take some free online courses!!! One must assume that he/she is reasonably clean and presentable too. I can't imagine the public library putting up with smelly vagrants browsing online.