Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Judd Gregg withdraws nomination to become Commerce secretary  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

Republican New Hampshire senator cites ‘irresolvable conflicts’

Republican Sen. Judd Gregg of New Hampshire abruptly withdrew his nomination as commerce secretary Thursday, citing "irresolvable conflicts" with President Barack Obama's handling of the economic stimulus and 2010 census.

"We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy," Gregg said in a statement released by his Senate office.

Gregg, 61, is a former New Hampshire governor who previously served in the House. He has been in the Senate since 1993 and currently serves as the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, where he is known as a crusader against big spending.
'Different set of views'
In citing the stimulus and census, he said, "Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy."

Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., welcomed the Republican back to the Senate. "Sen. Gregg made a principled decision to return and we're glad to have him. He is among the smartest, most effective legislators to serve in the Senate — Democrat or Republican — and a key adviser to me and to the Republican Conference. It's great to have him back."

**edited by WE for link & photo**
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:09:34 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Just saw the same headline on Glenn Beck Insiders forum.

Can't confirm or deny anything yet, as the giant POP! sound from his pulling his head out of his ass hasn't reached the thin air up here in Colorado yet.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
I heard during the vetting process it was discovered he actually paid his taxes :rotf:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
It's on Drudge.

There were apparently irreconcilable differences that never got resolved, including the census issue.

So Gregg's staying in the Senate (he hadn't resigned yet).
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Besides the census being a sore issue, the stimulus package too.

Senator Gregg Statement on His Withdrawal for Consideration of U.S. Commerce Secretary

Sen. Gregg stated, “I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

“However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.

“Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives.

“I greatly admire President Obama and know our country will benefit from his leadership, but at this time I must withdraw my name from consideration for this position.

“As we move forward, I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the President’s proposals. This will certainly be a goal of mine.

“Kathy and I also want to specifically thank Governor Lynch and Bonnie Newman for their friendship and assistance during this period. In addition we wish to thank all the people, especially in New Hampshire, who have been so kind and generous in their supportive comments.

“As a further matter of clarification, nothing about the vetting process played any role in this decision. I will continue to represent the people of New Hampshire in the United States Senate.”

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashgg.htm
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Good call on Gregg's part.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Good call on Gregg's part.

If nothing else, it sort of throws a speed bump into The Exalted One's game plan and it illustrates to the O that he doesn't always get what he wants.

Personally, it's an utter mystery to me why Hillary signed on. She's expendable as SecState and would be thrown under the bus permanently in the event of policy arguments - of which there will certainly be a few.

As jr. senator from New Yawk, she at least has a measure of power and prestige as a moonbat politician without succumbing to the temporary gig as a presidential appointee.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

OTOH, With Gregg's withdrawal, 0Bama can nominate a more willing puppet that won't raise a stink about his plans for the census.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
If nothing else, it sort of throws a speed bump into The Exalted One's game plan and it illustrates to the O that he doesn't always get what he wants.

Personally, it's an utter mystery to me why Hillary signed on. She's expendable as SecState and would be thrown under the bus permanently in the event of policy arguments - of which there will certainly be a few.

As jr. senator from New Yawk, she at least has a measure of power and prestige as a moonbat politician without succumbing to the temporary gig as a presidential appointee.

Eupher, if the Obamessiah does throw her under the bus, guess what happens--she comes roaring back in 2012 to challenge him for the Dem nomination, a la Teddy Kennedy in 1980 to Jimmah Carter.  What is the result?  Sarah Palin becomes the 45th President of the United States.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Eupher, if the Obamessiah does throw her under the bus, guess what happens--she comes roaring back in 2012 to challenge him for the Dem nomination, a la Teddy Kennedy in 1980 to Jimmah Carter.  What is the result?  Sarah Palin becomes the 45th President of the United States.

I think if Hillary Clinton gets thrown under the bus, she's going to do a lot more damage to 0bama than just that, and a lot sooner than 2012.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Judd Gregg withdraws nomination to become Commerce secretary
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »

I considered that point some time ago, and I can see the logic, but I'm betting on The Exalted One's own bet that he'll wind up at the end of his first term looking good - mostly because the media will make sure of that.

It's awfully, awfully tough unseating a sitting prez, especially one who is worshiped as he is by the fawning media.

And I see Hillary being around only a year, or two tops, as SecState. Obama will find a reason to let her go and as she'll continue to be overshadowed by The One (much like Slick Willie himself has pretty much fallen off the planet), I just don't see her making any kind of comeback.

Out of sight, out of mind. Let's also keep in mind that Hillary doesn't have Slick's charm and political instincts. Hillary is evil, pure evil, and that's what she exudes - that, despite the hordes of lemmings that worship her.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
OTOH, With Gregg's withdrawal, 0Bama can nominate a more willing puppet that won't raise a stink about his plans for the census.

As if Duh Fuhrer feels the least bit of hesitation in blowing the proverbial brains out of one useful idiot and replacing it with another - more willing - useful idiot over any point of resistance to the Will of Duh Fuhrer.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
 :rotf:   :lmao: :loser: :lmao: :rotf:

What a DISGRACE!!  Seems like people are avoiding Obama like the plague.  How EMBARRASSING!!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
This actually gave me a little hope. That's the kind of change I like to see.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
This actually gave me a little hope. That's the kind of change I like to see.

LOL!  This is the best reply on this thread Jen.  H5
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
LOL!  This is the best reply on this thread Jen.  H5

Thanks!

I'm reading blog comments right now on this story. Someone wrote, "This is awesome on a stick with awesome sauce!"

:rotf:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 05:01:20 PM »
This just in : RINO finds testicles. News at eleven.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
Does this mean Obama's been thrown under his own bus?  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 05:09:36 PM »
This just in : RINO finds testicles. News at eleven.

Now if he could just show the other RINO's where theirs are, we might be in business!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
Now if he could just show the other RINO's where theirs are, we might be in business!

He'd have to show them how to remove their heads from their colons first.  An impossible task under even the best of circumstances. Note that these are not ideal circumstances.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
Ok, I over-reacted.  I initially thought it was another Dem turning down his invitation.  I read over the comments and realized it was an (R).  Kudos to him for standing by his principles. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »
Ok, I over-reacted.  I initially thought it was another Dem turning down his invitation.  I read over the comments and realized it was an (R).  Kudos to him for standing by his principles.

Oh now, madam, you should've known it was an (R); there wasn't any mention of nonpayment of taxes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »

I had the same thought.  She could have become the Democrat version of McCain if she wanted to make a run in '12 or '16 and by opposing his radical leftism she could have fooled enough independents to actually win.  Serious break down in the Clinton War Room.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
Oh now, madam, you should've known it was an (R); there wasn't any mention of nonpayment of taxes.

Are you insinuating the Scummers democrats who want to raise our taxes are not paying their own share????

::)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
Are you insinuating the Scummers democrats who want to raise our taxes are not paying their own share????

::)

Just the head of the IRS

Just the one in charge of writing tax law

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.