Author Topic: "Selected, not elected."  (Read 1259 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

"Selected, not elected."
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
 :rotf:  :rotf:
Worth reading the whole article IMHO.

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=3633
Super Delegates To Determine Nominee
by: Chris Bowers

It can no longer be avoided: super delegates will determine the Democratic Presidential nominee this year. Here is the current situation:

With Michigan and Florida removed from the equation, 2,025 delegates are required to win the nomination, and there are 3,253 pledged delegates.

To date, four states with a combined 137 pledged delegates have held nominating contests.

Currently, Barack Obama is projected with 63 pledged delegates, and Hillary Clinton is projected with 48 (source).

On Super Tuesday, 22 states and a couple territories with a combined 1,688 pledged delegates will hold nominating contests.

My second "hat tip" to HA for the day,lol. Here's the Hot Air link with some thoughts on what it all means.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/02/05/awesomely-awesome-dem-nomination-almost-guaranteed-to-come-down-to-super-delegates/

Everyone on the same page here? 2,025 delegates needed to clinch, but the Messiah’s made such a contest of it that realistically neither one of them can win enough pledged delegates (i.e. delegates you earn by picking up districts and winning the state popular vote) to do it. Which means it falls to the 796 unpledged “super” delegates — the party elite, many of whom are accountable to no one — to decide. And what does that mean? Wonderful things, my friends.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: "Selected, not elected."
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
Here's this guys' DUmbass solution:

"Update: After some thought, the best solution I can come up with is to get a majority of super delegates to pledge to support whoever wins the majority of pledged delegates following the final primaries and caucuses in early June. To resolve the Michigan and Florida situations, simply allocate Florida's delegates as they would have been allocated according to the primary vote there. In the case of Michigan, do the same thing, except allocate according to the exit poll results that show how people would have voted if Obama had been on the ballot."

So in other words :"Let's change the rules in midstream because I don't like how it's going so far."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.