Author Topic: 60 Minutes killing the Siegelman story  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
60 Minutes killing the Siegelman story
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Tin foil alert........................*gasp* CBS trying to vett a story before releasing it

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2821448

lala_rawraw  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 04:00 PM
Original message
Urgent: 60 Minutes Caves to Pressure from White House on Siegelman Story...
 Advertisements [?]cross posted at my place (http://www.atlargely.com/2008/02/60-minutes-cave.html )

Well folks, seems that 60 Minutes is postponing (read "killing") its Siegelman story. The excuse I am told for this lapse in ethics is that the network needs more time to vet the whistle-blower, Dana Jill Simpson. You see, the reason the network suddenly needs more time to vet Simpson is that the White House has launched a direct campaign inside CBS to discredit her and just to make sure the dirt sticks, they have called in some favors too. I am told that Senator Jeff Sessions has been instructed to help the White House discredit Simpson as part of his "Senatorial" duties. Nice system of government we have here, eh?

So, two things are going to happen now. The first is, we will be including what 60 Minutes did not report as part of the Raw Story series on the case. Instead of 5 installments, we will now have 6. Second, all of you as citizens of this nation must voice your concerns about this situation to CBS. You want a free press? Then fight for it!

ADDRESS:
60 Minutes
524 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019

EMAIL: 60m@cbsnews.com
PHONE: (212) 975-3247

I would tell you to call Congress, but as we all now know, they will not do a damn thing. But if you feel this would help, then by all means do contact Congress, the FCC, and every advertiser giving money to CBS. If money talks, scream with your wallet. You may also wish to contact Senator Jeff Sessions and ask him who John Price is, you know, just for shits and giggles

:lmao:

derby378  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 04:01 PM
Response to Original message
1. Oh, bloody hell...
 It's The Insider all over again.

lala_rawraw  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 04:03 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. yep...
 and the journalists working on the story are good eggs... just as with the Insider!

Changenow (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 04:02 PM
2. There seems to be 
 a disconnect between the puppets and the puppeteers at 60 Minutes.

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 04:04 PM
4. Plan B: Get Bill Moyers to do the program.

He doesn't mind using unvetted sources

L. Coyote  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 04:08 PM
Response to Reply #4
9. He has been on top of it too.
 Time is on it, Harpers is on it, Congress is on it, DU is all over it, TPM has followed it closely, .... etc.

Maybe the 60 minutes angle isn't panning out! I think they were working the Rove connection!!

That's Teh Rove....or Lord Rove to you primitive

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 04:18 PM
Response to Reply #9
13. CBS is more than a little scared after their being jerked around by the WH during 
 the Dan Rather/*-AWOL incident. I figure they're waiting to hear back from their inhouse corporate counsel.

Incident...........don't you mean the out right lies???

lala_rawraw  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 04:19 PM
Response to Reply #9
15. they were working
 the trial angle and from what i understand, it was panning out... that is, until the WH had it not pan out.

SpiralHawk  (1000+ posts)     Tue Feb-05-08 04:06 PM
6. CBS assumes the position. Again. Like all corporate media, failing America
 Edited on Tue Feb-05-08 04:08 PM by SpiralHawk
Pathetic. Don't pretend to be "journalists" in a "news" organization anymore, please.

So once again............an unvetted story you so want to believe isn't true,..........yet all you want is what you accept as the truth

asjr  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 04:07 PM
Original message
CBS threw Dan Rather under the bus
 for daring to bring up the AWOL Bush in the Nat'l Guard so we know where the strings are located.

mod mom  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 04:13 PM
10. done:
 To Whom It May Concern:

Shame on you! 60 Minutes used to be a standard for integrity in journalism-not caving in to the powerful, and now you've transgressed into a shadow of your old self. It is appalling that you would postpone an important story such as the case of Don Siegelman-a political prisoner in our United States of America.

Every American should be concerned about the Siegelman case. It is about politics at it's worse and the distortion of justice under a politicized Dept of Justice. According to Harper's Magazine, highly partisan Judge Fuller has contracts with the federal government that prevent a fair and balanced oversight of the case. The influence of Karl Rove into the mixture adds further to the appalling facts that surround this case. If you would like to be complicit in your silence, then you are part of the problem. Shame on you.

timeforarevolution  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 04:15 PM
12. This is bullshit...thanks for the heads up, lala
 I will contact CBS and Moyers.

Jon Stewart really had a following during the last two election cycles. Maybe he could be persuaded to cover this and shed some light on the obscene absurdity of it all.

Ya'll are nothing but a bunch of primitive poo flinging idjits
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: 60 Minutes killing the Siegelman story
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »
I must be living in my own world, what is the "Siegelman story"?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:07:01 PM »

Siegelman was governor of Alabama a few years ago.

Grotesquely corrupt, he was convicted and sent to prison.

For some reason, maybe perhaps that his last name ends with a "(D)," some primitives, most especially Doug's ex-wife (who strangely seems absent from this particular campfire on Skins's island), made him into a cause celebre, or a causus belli.

I dunno; it's very telling.

With so many unjustly imprisoned in the world, it's worth note that the primitives select as their "cause" a guy so corrupt he makes Boris Berezovsky look honest.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
Didn't he write "Love Story"?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
Don Siegelman?

The former Democrat Governor of Alabama???

:rotf:

The guys in it up to his ears.

60 Minutes canned the story so CBS didn't get embarrassed all over again by the Pajama wearing media.

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
I'm sure it will be all straightened out in 24 business hours.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
Didn't he write "Love Story"?

I thought it might be the guy who wrote Maus...Who watches 60 Minutes anymore anyway?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »
Don Siegelman?

60 Minutes canned the story so CBS didn't get embarrassed all over again by the Pajama wearing media.

So wouldn't the DUmmies WANT the story killed?

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
Don Siegelman?

So wouldn't the DUmmies WANT the story killed?

Cindie

No, they are sure the lefty Soros journalist are on top of this.  It has to do with  Rove-DOJ-federal attorneys firing-innocent democrat persecuted....I'm sure Plame is in there somewhere too.