Author Topic: West Point cadet charged with rape  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
West Point cadet charged with rape
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:32:46 PM »
Ahh..........more support of the troops and the showing of the lack of knowledge of the criminal justice system, especially the military's.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2820631

donsu  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 12:42 PM
Original message
West Point Cadet Charged With Rape, Continues With Regular Duties

http://www.feministpeacenetwork.org/2008/02/04/west-poi... /

Well thank goodness the military is getting tough on rape…

Orry R. Jones, a West Point Academy Cadet was, “charged this week with failure to obey a general order, making a false official statement and rape.”

“Jones, a member of the class of 2009, remains at the academy performing his regular duties.”

So just wondering, are female cadets not citizens of this country worth protecting from being terrorized while they are training to defend our country from terrorism?
----------------------

not in the neo con run US

Squatch  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 12:46 PM
Response to Original message
1. So, he hasn't been convicted yet, then?

atreides1 (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 12:51 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. Not yet it seems
 But there is such a thing as pre-trial confinement, unless there isn't an operating stockade nearby. Then he should have at least gotten restriction to the area!

TahitiNut  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 12:58 PM
Response to Reply #3
6. Cadets have less freedom of movement than basic trainees.
 Edited on Tue Feb-05-08 01:03 PM by TahitiNut
"Restriction to the area" is a normal condition. Since this is a Second Class cadet, he's completed two-and-a-half years at the Academy and his record would provide guidance (vis a vis the charges) regarding the appropriate additional restrictions. The chances that any cadet facing such charges would "escape" are almost laughable, imho.

Few appreciate how intensely controlled a cadet is ... with every minute scheduled and accounted for between about 6:10am to 9:30pm, and even while sleeping. Muster and roll call occurs three to five times each day at meal formation and formations to march to class. Every class performs a roll call. Cadets are required to report their movements at all times and obtain permission to be anywhere that their unit isn't located, whether than be in a section of the barracks or at some training or classroom activity.

When did the Tahiti nut primitive start making sense??

JBoy (720 posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 12:47 PM
2. Interesting statement
 "Let's see... He was charged with failure to obey a general order, making a false statement, and, uh... oh yeah, and rape."

What an idiot

TooBigaTent (129 posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 12:53 PM
4. Must protect gallant warriors at all costs. America's best my ass. nt

:bird: **** YOU

MADem  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 12:57 PM
5. It is customary in this nation to support the concept of PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE
 If he's guilty, he should be punished. But let's not put the conviction cart before the trial horse, eh? That's what they do in dictatorships and authoritarian regimes.

What would be a better solution? Have him whipped in the public square, "just in case" he is guilty? Not query the plaintiff at all, but simply take her word for it because the crime is so dispicable, and of course, without knowing anything about the circumstances of the case, we assume she could NEVER lie?

That's how the actual "neo-cons" play it, ya know--shoot first, ask questions later.

I realize you didn't write that rather presumptive diatribe, but it is ASININE. It's the kind of shit that brings discredit on those who are trying, sincerely, to support feminist issues.

I've served in the military, and I've had servicemembers who worked for me continue to perform their "regular duties" while they were on restriction, awaiting NJP or CM. This guy isn't prancing around free as a bird, but by the same token, he has privacy rights, too, so any comment from the Academy beyond his duty status is inappropriate. They aren't going to say ANYTHING that has potential to prejudice his case -- one way, OR the other.

Okay.............someone check the temperature in hell...........first Tahiti, now MADEM primitives making sense  :mental:

donsu  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 01:01 PM
8. one of the interesting replys on the FPN link 

I am just wondering: this Cadet’s name is “Jones”….is he any relation to General Jones (former Chief of Staff) and if so, is this the reason that Cadet Jones has not been relieved of his duties pending the outcome of the investigation into the charges against him?

Oh give me a break.....................grasping aren't we??
And now I will have to agree with Squatch

Squatch  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 01:09 PM
Response to Reply #8
9. You're kidding, right?

Donsu is an idiot
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: West Point cadet charged with rape
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
Well, "Jones" is a pretty uncommon name...  :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:45:35 PM »
^yeah, there must only be 1000 people named Jones in the military. Idjits.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »
donsu  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 01:01 PM
8. one of the interesting replys on the FPN link 

I am just wondering: this Cadet’s name is “Jones”….is he any relation to General Jones (former Chief of Staff) and if so, is this the reason that Cadet Jones has not been relieved of his duties pending the outcome of the investigation into the charges against him?

Did a little research and confirmed what I already knew.

Since the formation of the position on 15 August 1903...there hasn't been one Chief Of Staff Of The Army with the last name of Jones.

None of the CNO's since 1913 have had the last name of Jones.

One Commandant Of The Marine Corps...GEN James Jones from 1999-2003...he went on to be the SACEUR (NATO Commander) until 2006 his retirement was in 2007.  He's 65 btw.

In fact the only Jones I've been able to find that wold come close to what this DUmmie is talking about is Gen. David Jones USAF who was the Chairman of The Joint Chiefs from 1978-82.

GEN Jones retired in 1982 at the end of his term.  Unless he married some 21 year old sweetie pie to celebrate his retirement...there's no way in hell he's got a kid young enough to be at Hudson High right now.

Someone want to tell me what this DUmmie was trying to get at?

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:51:44 AM »
^yeah, there must only be 1000 people named Jones in the military. Idjits.

I'd say there is easily more then 1,000 Jones's in the Air Force alone.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Sonnabend

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:13:12 AM »
Someone want to tell me what this DUmmie was trying to get at?

Typical DUmmie, can't keep up with the Joneses.... :evillaugh:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »

Okay.............someone check the temperature in hell...........first Tahiti, now MADEM primitives making sense  :mental:

Inconceivable!

There are actually a couple of posters with some factual knowledge about the UCMJ and Article 13 (Pretiral confinement) in there!  Well, they'll probably mature and become Republicans someday...

:naughty:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.