Author Topic: Blogging 101.  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Blogging 101.
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »
I would like to start a blog too. But I'm concerned, I do NOT want a place like Facebook or MySpace.
Am I restricted to political sites for a conservative blog?
Are there good general sites for a generic blog?

Understand, I will be looking at your blogs here as instruction manuals.

I'm thinking of a conservative/Fundamentalist blog (because that combo will enrage the libs more), but I want to pick and choose the posted responses I get> is that even possible?

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: Blogging 101.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:43:46 AM »
I would like to start a blog too. But I'm concerned, I do NOT want a place like Facebook or MySpace.

I'm thinking of a conservative/Fundamentalist blog (because that combo will enrage the libs more), but I want to pick and choose the posted responses I get> is that even possible?

Wordpress, typepad, blogger, etc. All good sites to start with if ya don't wanna start chucking out 20 bucks a month for a domain. Hell, take a look at mine (even though it's not perfect) as well as some of the other ones like Dummocrats, Evil White Guy, The Jawa Report and the like to get some tips.

Also, writer's block sucks. I get that occasionally. So if ya don't necessarily wanna blog about politics, feel free to incorporate other genres like sports, music, occasional funny stories, but make it interesting to readers.

Also, get another e-mail addy for contacting (and hate mail).

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »

Blogger has really good host capability now.  The interface is easily controllable and it is user friendly, especially for the novice.

I have a family blog on a personal website which is a wordpress operated blog.  It suits my needs pretty well, but I have been blogging off and on for almost 10 years now.  I know on word press you can screen all your comments.  I am pretty sure you can on blogger as well although I don't have an active blogger blog.

Good luck!  Let us know when you get it set up!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
I think I use Blogger through Google. It's free & easy to use. When you do create a blog, and if you post it here,  please have a reciprocal link to the Cave.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:20:37 PM »
please have a reciprocal link to the Cave.
OK, that makes sense!
and ya know, maybe we could have a list of CC bloggers and links at the bottom of the page or something.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
That could work, too.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »
Blogger (blogspot.com) and Wordpress seem to be the most popular ones.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 01:34:15 AM »
OK, that makes sense!
and ya know, maybe we could have a list of CC bloggers and links at the bottom of the page or something.

That's what I was thinking. A Conservative Cave Blogroll or something. It'd be great for traffic on both sides.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 05:18:19 AM »

That's what I was thinking. A Conservative Cave Blogroll or something. It'd be great for traffic on both sides.

That's kind of why I started this particular board. Perhaps a little self interest, but also to allow others to link to their blogs. I get most of my traffic from CC as of now.

Offline seemomgonuts

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »
My blog  is currently using WordPress (.com) but will be switching to WordPress (.org) in a couple days. We used to have advertising until we made the switch to WordPress, but the .com won't support it, so we have to switch to .org. I wish I had known that rule before we switched over, because it would have saved us a lot of time and effort. Ah well, if my mistake saves you from making the same mistake, then yay!  :cheersmate:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
I think a blogroll is a great idea......
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »
http://mrmannn.blogspot.com/
There's nothing there yet, but I just want this written down.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:09:23 PM by Mr Mannn »

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
Dang it. I can't figure out how to add pictures.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
photobucket.com
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »
OK, the first post is complete, Now I need to link to CC.

Do I need CC permission to do this?
and once I figure out how to link I will link to all your sites. Just post it here and I will consider permission given.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:57:30 PM by Mr Mannn »

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
OK, I have no idea how to add links. Someone here had a blogger .com address. How can I link to CC and drive hits here?

Oh and would someone please comment on my page? I want to know if its too cumbersome. I set it up for moderation and I think there is a word verification involved. Let me know if this is a geeky thing. thanks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:06:21 PM by Mr Mannn »