Author Topic: Obama refuses to surrender Blackberry  (Read 15358 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Obama refuses to surrender Blackberry
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:36:49 AM »
Despite legal and security hurdles, president-elect Barack Obama says he has a plan to retain his beloved Blackberry once he moves into the White House next week.
Interviewed by CNN Friday, Obama said the smartphone was among the tools that he would use to stay in touch with real Americans and avoid becoming trapped inside the presidential "bubble."

"I think we're going to be able to hang on to one of these. My working assumption, and this is not new, is that anything I write on an email could end up being on CNN," he said.

"So I make sure to think before I press 'send'," he said of his Blackberry, which was an ever-present fixture on his belt or in his hand on the campaign trail.

Obama did not divulge just how he will overcome legal constraints, given the requirement of the post-Watergate Presidential Records Act of 1978 to keep a record of every White House communication.

Nor did he say how he would persuade his Secret Service protectors that the Blackberry does not pose a security risk, for instance if it is hacked over the air.

But Obama, who succeeds the unpopular George W. Bush on Tuesday, said the phone was a valuable part of a wider strategy to escape the White House fishbowl.

"It's just one tool among a number of tools that I'm trying to use, to break out of the bubble, to make sure that people can still reach me," he said.

"If I'm doing something stupid, somebody in Chicago can send me an email and say, 'What are you doing?'

Blackberry to break the rules?

Offline formerlurker

Re: Obama refuses to surrender Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:13:27 AM »
Uh..... what?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:17:23 AM »
C'mon, FL--haven't you heard?  Rules don't apply to "Teh Wun."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »
"If I'm doing something stupid, somebody in Chicago can send me an email and say, 'What are you doing?'

Like who, Bill Ayers?  Jeremiah Wright?  Just another example of The Rookie needing all the help he can get, and showing it...

Seriously, wouldn't it be great to get that email and flood his phone everytime he did do something stupid?  The phone wouldn't last a week before it just quit from the overload.  Then again, wouldn't it be easy for a hacker to send a virus that would send out all communication through that thing, including, I'm sure, classified info.  I have no doubt that The Rookie would not respect the classification rules, and I fear troops will die as a result...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »
He really doesn't understand....he probably won't touch a keyboard for the next 4 years.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »
If this little piece of information doesn't clearly show the extent and breadth of Obama's utter selfishness and total inability to understand the office to which he fought so long and hard for ( :whatever:), then nothing does.

He's going to make his own rules as he goes along and he'll spend more of the taxpayer's time playing with that damned thing then he will making weighty decisions.  :banghead:

Gawdalmighty -

As if somebody in Dubuque, IA, won't know that he's done something stupid?

Asshat.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »

Hey O, what are you playing at with your policy on housing. I paid good money for ... oh... nvm, yours Tony R.  :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
Two things here:

1. When Sara Palin's yahoo account was hacked, the libtards came UNGLUED over the mere thought that she may have conducted official govt business via a private email account. Nevermind the illegal hacking part.

2. Please do this Obama! You're just begging to be hacked and/or forced to hand over records.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
Should be interesting.
BarakObamas are incredibly easy to hack.

fixed!!!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Should be interesting.
Blackberries are incredibly easy to hack.

OTOH, that is why The One wants to keep his. When sensitive items are "leaked", he can claim his Blackberry was hacked.  Hey Obama, hitting send isn't the same as getting hacked.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »
Remember what I was saying about The One being a street thug at heart, and completely unfamiliar with the "tools of state" as we've traditionally known them?  Remember when I said that all it would take is Congress opposing him once, and there would be a quiet phone call made to some "Community Organizer" friends of his in the districts of the the Congress-shits leading the opposition, and those community organizers would, umm, "organize the community" to protest these congress critters and their evil opposition to The One?

What you're looking at here ladies and gents is a comm line that The One can shield the records of from Congressional supoena indefinitely, and doesn't leave any incriminating paper trails through the White House switchboard.  You're looking at the whip that will build The One's thousand year Reich.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:29:41 PM »
Obama said the smartphone was among the tools that he would use to stay in touch with real Americans and avoid becoming trapped inside the presidential "bubble."

*cough*bullshit*cough*

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
1.  cel phones make nice tracking beacons to light a target
2.  his whereabouts are certainly cel scrambled for this reason

sure, keep it.  but it won't work.

grow up Junior...

he's just going to have to get his handlers a secure set in Chicago where every word will be recorded "for the record".

ruh roh.....
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »

If The Rookie wants his CrackBerry he'll get one of these.  It's standard DoD issue through the White House Communications Agency and powered by Verizon..  It has every security protocol known to man on it...no camera....3G wireless and I feel sure that if he wanted to...he could give out his WH e-mail addy to a few selected people with approval of the Secret Service and WACA.

Otherwise...unless he just wants to publicly and rudely thumb his nose at the rules...he's gonna have to hand over the civilian CrackBerry to the Secret Service...who will had it back to him on the way out the door four years from now.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
He just wants to sit at the in the Oval Office with his big, stinky feet on the desk and play Solitaire.   :whatever:  :fuelfire:

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
He just wants to sit at the in the Oval Office with his big, stinky feet on the desk and play Solitaire.   :whatever:  :fuelfire:
:lmao:
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
Obama said the smartphone was among the tools that he would use to stay in touch with real Americans and avoid becoming trapped inside the presidential "bubble." . . .

"It's just one tool among a number of tools that I'm trying to use, to break out of the bubble, to make sure that people can still reach me," he said.Blackberry to break the rules?

With which "real Americans" will he communicate? Will he have time? Shouldn't he speak with his cabinet and advisers and, without any precconditions, tyrants and terrorists?

This guy is so transparently full of you-know-what, it's really embarrassing to see him make such a horse's patoot out of himself.

But, then, when you a megalomaniac and POTUS combined, I guess it really doesn't matter. Right?

Rules, laws, policies? "We don't need no stinking  . . .," said Obama.

You wonder if the wunderkind ever stopped to think about how his BlackBerry might be used against him, his family, the U.S.?

I know: Too much to ask for. Above his pay grade, too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:09:59 PM by Redstatecka »
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 10:46:21 PM »
Two words. Echelon and Carnivore. They can be used to make sure that Barry Big Ears isn't talking out of school.  He may be President but he must have forgot that even Nixon couldn't keep all of his secrets safe.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"