Author Topic: Springerle  (Read 32914 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Springerle
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »
I've never seen a grocery not carry baking powder, well at least at the times I've needed it. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 03:30:05 PM »
I've never seen a grocery not carry baking powder, well at least at the times I've needed it.

It's the difference between men and women, I guess.

I suspect that if the man in the house did the grocery shopping, grocery bills would be cut by more than half.

I give you the example of this couple, my neighbors.  When the whole family (husband, wife, three infants) is at home and the wife does the grocery shopping, she spends $200-250 and an hour or so doing it.

When the wife is visiting family in Omaha, with or without the infants, and the husband does the grocery shopping, he spends circa $80 and twenty minutes doing it.

A woman, considering shopping recreational, likes to look around, and is thus enticed, seduced, by pretty packaging and "placement of product." 

A man, for whom shopping is a drag, an utter nuisance to be done as quickly as possible, knows what he wants, or needs, before he goes into the store, gets it, and comes out as quickly as possible.  He sees only those things he wants or needs, ignoring all else.

Myself, being a man, am not acquainted with 99% of the products even in the modest grocery store (six aisles) in town because it's stuff I don't need or want.

It's the difference between women and men, and I'm not disparaging women--without women, none of us would be here, so all hail! to women--but just telling it like it is.  If a man doesn't need or want something, he doesn't see it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 03:40:06 PM »
Frank, growing up I went to the grocery store with my mom, and yes it was at least an hour.  I, myself, am in and out kind of shopper.  I usually have a list, I know where the items are located and get the heck outta there. 

Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »
Frank, growing up I went to the grocery store with my mom, and yes it was at least an hour.  I, myself, am in and out kind of shopper.  I usually have a list, I know where the items are located and get the heck outta there.

Well, now remember, I'm not putting down women.

There's a particular reason people are the way they are, and best to not mess with it.

By the way, the wife of the neighbor sampled the cookies.

Like me, she says they're a tad bit too sweet, even though I followed the instructions to a tee.

She thought it was weird that they all had varying degrees of anise seed on them, but that was to "experiment," to find out the proper proportion.

I still have half the dough left; anybody have any ideas about what I could add, to make it less sweet?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »
Well, now remember, I'm not putting down women.

There's a particular reason people are the way they are, and best to not mess with it.

By the way, the wife of the neighbor sampled the cookies.

Like me, she says they're a tad bit too sweet, even though I followed the instructions to a tee.

She thought it was weird that they all had varying degrees of anise seed on them, but that was to "experiment," to find out the proper proportion.

I still have half the dough left; anybody have any ideas about what I could add, to make it less sweet?

No, Frank of course you're not putting women down.  I understood exactly what you were saying.  I just happen to be a quick shopper. 

Maybe you can add some flour to the mix and a pinch of baking powder?  I'm not exactly sure out to less sweeten it.
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Maybe you can add some flour to the mix and a pinch of baking powder?  I'm not exactly sure out to less sweeten it.

I'm thinking of another egg (small), another cup of flour, and a pinch of baking powder, but I'm going to wait for jtyangel's advice on this, as she knows this stuff.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »
I'm thinking of another egg (small), another cup of flour, and a pinch of baking powder, but I'm going to wait for jtyangel's advice on this, as she knows this stuff.

That sounds good, but I agree wait until Jty comes back.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
That sounds good, but I agree wait until Jty comes back.  :)

Don't worry; I'm not making a move until jtyangel gives her counsel.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
Hmm..well the difficult thing about adding to a cookie that requires chilling like springerle do is that adding 'fresh' ingredients could mess with it. When something like this happens we generally ditch the dough and start over or cook it as is and give it to someone who perhaps appreciates something a little sweeter. Making something sweeter is easier then taking it out.

I would give your suggestion a try..mixing all those ingredients on thier own and then kneading them into the rest of the chilled dough to get the sweetness dispersed throughout the dough. Then put it all back in to chill. In order to knead it though, you may want to take the other dough out for a little while so that it can soften up some. I would also take care when rolling it out that I take a few more roll outs and then knead back in again just to be sure. Then proceed as you did with the others.

But be advised, all that work may be for nothing and may mess with the proportions of ingredients to the point that they turn out a bit differently.

I would guess that the maternal ancestress probably tweaked some ingredients along the way. She made minor changes that she did not share. I do this as well. I just bake and I know what to put more or less of in a recipe having made it a few times. It's not a stretch to think that the orginal recipe may have been too sweet for her as well and she did what most folks inclined to baking and such do and fiddled with the ingredients themselves unbeknownest to their families that enjoyed the fruits of that tweaking.

I hope they turn out better, frank.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »
Don't worry, jtyangel, madam.

This is just an experiment, a "first-try" sort of thing.

Not tonight, but on Sunday, I'll try your suggestions, and we'll see how it goes.

Every cook or "cook" is an individual, and so results vary even if all are following the exact same directions. 

It is possible the late maternal ancestress tweaked some things.

If I was entering these into a 4-H cooking contest--some of which can be rather lucrative, around here--I'd worry, but this is just an experiment.

We'll see how it goes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »
I have some almond and anise biscotti.  Very licorice-y.  Not my favorite thing in the world.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »
I hope they turn out better, frank.

Okay, now remember, madam, the first batch was not bad; it was just too sweet, nothing more.

Okay, earlier this morning I tossed the cats outdoors and turned on the natural gas stove, to cook an altered batch.  I had added another cup of flour, another small egg, a half-tablespoon of baking powder, and a few dribblets of water, because the refrigerated dough was rather too stiff.  (Yes, I had taken the dough out of the refrigerator some hours before I added this new stuff in.)

Guess what.

These are great, just great; just like what the late mother used to make.

I can hardly wait until they get older, drier, and harder.

I still have some of this modified batch left, in the refrigerator, and will bake that later in the week. 

Now, I wouldn't suggest anyone alter the Betty Crocker recipe in jtyangel's comment #6, even though that comes out really really sweet--there are some who like really really sweet cookies--until they try it as directed first.  And then do the additional flour, additional egg, additional baking powder the second time around.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
Actually, my mother has another cookbook we both own, but I do have the Betty Crocker Cooky book which even includes orginal pics from the old version. The recipe is as follows:

Springerle

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups gold medal flour
anise seed

beat eggs and sugar together thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method(ie measuring cup into flour bag, level off with a knife or spatula, but don't tap to settle it before) or by sifting. Stir in flour until dough is well blended and very stiff. Refrigerate the dough for 3 to 4 hr. Roll out dough about 1/8" thick on lightly floured board. Press well-floured springerle board or rolling pin down firmly on dough to emboss the designs. Cut out the little squares; let dry on lightly floured board sprinked with anise for at least 10 hr. at room temperature.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Transfer to lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 min. Makes 4 to 5 doz. cookies.

Note: Do not use Gold medal self-rising flour in this recipe.

Okay, I'm doing this again.  It looks good.

I got a late start on this--it's about 9 p.m. central time Saturday--and so it'll chill in the refrigerator overnight, until I wake up in the morning.  I hope that doesn't hurt anything.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »
Sorry to get in on this so late, but just spotted it. Here's the REAL, AUTHENTIC springerle cooky recipe. It comes from my maternal Grandmother who emigrated from Prussia.

Springerle Cookies (Do not make these until after the first hard freeze)

1/2 tsp Baker's ammonia
2 tbl milk
6 eggs, at room temperature
6 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1/2 tsp anise oil (extract may be substituted)
1/2 tsp salt
2 lb cake flour, sifted (about 8 cups)

Mash baker's ammonia with a rolling pin if it is not powdered. Dissolve it in the milk in a small bowl and let stand 1 hour before using.
Beat eggs in large bowl until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until creamy and smooth. Add butter and beat again until creamy. Add anise oil, dissolved baker's ammonia and salt; beat to mix. Gradually beat in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
Cut off pieces of dough and work in more flour on a floured work surface until dough is stiff enough to roll out and hold the design of the springerle rolling pin or mold. Roll out on a lightly floured board with a floured rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Press design on dough with a floured springerle rolling pin. Cut cookies apart using a floured knife. Leave on work surface covered with a clean kitchen towel overnight.
The next day, heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake cookies on greased baking sheets, until barely golden on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Store in tightly covered tins and let stand at least 1 week before serving.

Mom made them every year when I was young. I make them with this recipe, and you can drive a nail with them - until you dip them in hot coffee or chocolate and they almost fall apart.

Ref:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bakers-ammonia-ammonium-carbonate-27-oz

http://www.kitchenconservatory.com/Springerle-Molds-C381.aspx (I use the 8.25 roller)

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:53 AM »
Sorry to get in on this so late, but just spotted it. Here's the REAL, AUTHENTIC springerle cooky recipe. It comes from my maternal Grandmother who emigrated from Prussia.

Mom made them every year when I was young. I make them with this recipe, and you can drive a nail with them - until you dip them in hot coffee or chocolate and they almost fall apart.

Question.

The first year I made these using jtyangel's recipe, I skipped all of this chilling-for-several-hours and leaving-sit-for-several-hours stuff (this time around, I'm following her instructions exactly).

What is the purpose of all this leaving-alone-for-a-long time stuff?

I'm no chemist; what does it do?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
http://www.wkiri.com/today/?p=1154

In the case of springerle, I expect it is so they are easier to work with.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
http://www.wkiri.com/today/?p=1154

In the case of springerle, I expect it is so they are easier to work with.

Thank you; I read the whole link.  I didn't know that stuff.

It also explains why my mother used to roll up some cookie doughs in waxed paper and refrigerate it for a while.  I had no idea.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »
Thank you; I read the whole link.  I didn't know that stuff.

It also explains why my mother used to roll up some cookie doughs in waxed paper and refrigerate it for a while.  I had no idea.

I knew one of the reasons was to make butter based doughs easier to work with. I was not sure as to the mechanics of why dough had to be rested in other instances though so that was an interesting read for me as well.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
Franksolich - My grandmother and mother used to make springerle's during the holidays.  Years after both passed I wanted those childhood cookies, so I started looking for recipes and the cookie cutters.  Found out it takes forever to make, and the 'true' cutters are expensive.  With dumb luck I called a restaurant in my home state of Michigan that is famous for their German/Bavarian cooking and baking.  Presto, they make them.  Somewhat expensive, but figuring time and the expense of cutters, I now order 2 dozen every Christmas season and have them shipped.

Here's the e-mail address for ordering -- click on "seasonal items" and scroll down, you'll find 'Springerles'.  I'll warn you though - everything they make is great - so I generally don't just order those cookies.  Hope you enjoy as mush as I do....

http://www.zehndersstore.com/productpages/germanspecialties.htm
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »
Franksolich - My grandmother and mother used to make springerle's during the holidays.  Years after both passed I wanted those childhood cookies, so I started looking for recipes and the cookie cutters.  Found out it takes forever to make, and the 'true' cutters are expensive.  With dumb luck I called a restaurant in my home state of Michigan that is famous for their German/Bavarian cooking and baking.  Presto, they make them.  Somewhat expensive, but figuring time and the expense of cutters, I now order 2 dozen every Christmas season and have them shipped.

Here's the e-mail address for ordering -- click on "seasonal items" and scroll down, you'll find 'Springerles'.  I'll warn you though - everything they make is great - so I generally don't just order those cookies.  Hope you enjoy as mush as I do....

http://www.zehndersstore.com/productpages/germanspecialties.htm

Ahhh Zehnders. My guy and I have been there for dinner before:)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »
Progress report:

There's enough dough to make four batches.

After keeping it overnight in the refrigerator, I made one batch.

It turned out good, better than it had all those years ago.  It wasn't too sweet.  I wonder if I'd used two small or medium sized eggs that time, and I used two large eggs this time.  I dunno if that would make a difference, but there is a difference.

And now twelve hours later, I made a second batch, which turns out gooder even.

Tomorrow (Monday) I'll make a third batch, to see if "ageing" the dough has an effect on quality.

I just roll out the dough using a 46-ounce can of tomato juice--I don't have any rolling pins--and cut the dough up into squares.  My mother had had a couple of those fancy rolling pins with designs on them, but how something looks, doesn't make it more or less better.  Plain is as good as fancy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 05:39:38 AM »
It turned out good, better than it had all those years ago.  It wasn't too sweet.  I wonder if I'd used two small or medium sized eggs that time, and I used two large eggs this time.  I dunno if that would make a difference, but there is a difference.

Yes, the size of the egg definitely makes a difference in baking.

Rule of thumb is most recipes are tested using a large egg. In the newer recipes that is, not the ones handed down generationally. However, you will usually be "safe" with most recipes, if you use large eggs.

I always use jumbo eggs, except when I make deviled eggs then I will use large or extra large. I don't alter any of the other ingredients, but using the jumbo can require a bit longer baking time, particularly if there are more than 2 eggs in the recipe.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.