Author Topic: Dow finishes up 258 points (9,035)  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Dow finishes up 258 points (9,035)
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

I have noticed a WE effect quite similar to The Gore Effect, where every place he gives a speech about global warming, a blizzard strikes.  every time I post a thread about the stock market being up, it either immediately tanks, or it tanks the next day.  so, today I waited until the thing closed before I posted this thread.  let's see it tank tomorrow. ::)

Dow finishes up 258 points

Stocks around the globe and the share prices of several top Georgia companies, soared on the first trading day of 2009.

The Dow Jones Industrial average surged up 258.30 points (2.94 percent) to finish at 9,034.69. The S&P 500 rose 28.55 points (3.16 percent) to close at 931.80. NASDAQ also posted gains, jumping 55.18 points (3.50 percent).

Immediately after the markets opened, the Dow Jones Industrial average went up 26 points, or 0.3 percent, according to the Wall Street Journal . According to Google Finance, the Dow was up 50 points at 10:30 a.m. The S&P 500 was up 4 points and the NASDAQ was up more than 8 points.

Shortly before 1 p.m., the Dow had climbed 169 points, while the S&P 500 and NASDAQ had posted 17 and 34 point gains, respectively.

The Dow finished 2008 down 34 percent for the year, though it did have a slight rally on Dec. 31, gaining 108 points.

More

Offline Gratiot

Re: Dow finishes up 258 points (9,035)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
I have noticed a WE effect quite similar to The Gore Effect, where every place he gives a speech about global warming, a blizzard strikes.  every time I post a thread about the stock market being up, it either immediately tanks, or it tanks the next day.  so, today I waited until the thing closed before I posted this thread.  let's see it tank tomorrow. ::)

Please provide advance notice by way of private message, of your intention to post threads in relation to the stock market being up.  Preferably, in a reasonable time frame to allow a few transactions to take place.  All compliance will be appreciated, and if things bear profitable fruition... alcohol will be distributed about in your name 
:cheersmate:   :-)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:23:43 PM by Gratiot »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Dow finishes up 258 points (9,035)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »

I have noted a similar effect when I buy a stock.  I should start a thread and post my pics so everyone will know who to short.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.