Author Topic: Guns in school are OK......DU has gone to the moles  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Guns in school are OK......DU has gone to the moles
« on: February 02, 2008, 07:38:24 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3166224

RamboLiberal  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-02-08 12:23 AM
Original message
US state weighing gun lessons for schoolchildren
 Edited on Sat Feb-02-08 12:32 AM by RamboLiberal
Source: breitbart.com

West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.

"We will teach a hunting safety course during their physical education class," state senator and bill sponsor Billy Wayne Bailey told AFP. The courses would be imparted in secondary schools, from the eighth to 10th grade (13-16 years of age).

"They will learn gun safety, the proper use of fire arms. All the weapons will be disabled so there is no chance of discharging," he said, adding that the state Senate was expected to take up the bill next week.

"Hunting is an economic and cultural thing and we have seen a decline of hunting licenses over the past years," said the lawmaker, explaining that his bill would boost interest in hunting in West Virginia.

Children 10 years and older can already apply for a hunting license in West Virginia, which makes 1.5 billion dollars a year from hunting-related activities, the senator said.

Read more: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080201141120.x8...

No objections. They're all moles. No self respecting DUmmy is for a gun in school.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Guns in school are OK......DU has gone to the moles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »
My 8 year old son heard that yesterday and has been begging us to move to W.V. ever since. :-)
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »
well hot damn, there may be something worthwhile about WV schools after all!

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Thor_MN (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-02-08 10:03 AM
Response to Reply #4
14. Since almost everyone engages in sexual activity at some point
 a required course on sexual safety makes sense.

I fail to see ANY possible analogy between gun safety and sex safety. I hate to even picture a scenario where hunting in the US becomes a needed life skill (although if we keep trying supply side economics...)

I think a gun safety course is a good idea, I and all my siblings took one as children. However, I don't think that the case can be made that even most people will handle a gun during their lives. The course I took was after school, optional and definately not designed with the primary object of generating hunting license fees. I see no need to sacrifice school time to teach gun safety in hopes of generating hunting license fees.

So, let's not even prepare for it in the least...stupid DUmmy.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
Great idea, it is actually a big pain-in-the-butt to get the kids out to the classes, having it in school would be fantastic (though I've taken the last little hunter to class in my clan already).   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »
Thor_MN (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-02-08 10:03 AM
Response to Reply #4
14. Since almost everyone engages in sexual activity at some point
 a required course on sexual safety makes sense.

I fail to see ANY possible analogy between gun safety and sex safety. I hate to even picture a scenario where hunting in the US becomes a needed life skill (although if we keep trying supply side economics...)

I think a gun safety course is a good idea, I and all my siblings took one as children. However, I don't think that the case can be made that even most people will handle a gun during their lives. The course I took was after school, optional and definately not designed with the primary object of generating hunting license fees. I see no need to sacrifice school time to teach gun safety in hopes of generating hunting license fees.

I see the parallel. If you mishandle your gun or your gun prematurely goes off you'll probably be spending the next 18 years wishing you'd had known a little more about gun safety.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 12:45:15 AM »
Wait just a damn minute. Thor in Minnesota? :confused:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 04:53:17 AM »
One of the asst. state ride Capt. for the Michigan Patriot Guard Riders goes by Thor. USMC vet. One of the most honorable person I've had the pleasure to ride with.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.