Author Topic: Atheist Group Files Lawsuit Against Prayer at Presidential Inauguration  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Atheist Group Files Lawsuit Against Prayer at Presidential Inauguration

The head of an atheist group that has filed a lawsuit against prayer at Barack Obama's presidential inauguration says the government is picking a winner between "believers" and "those who don't believe" and subjecting atheists and agnostics to someone else's religious beliefs.

Dan Barker, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, has joined with Michael Newdow, who fought to have the words "under God" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance, in a federal lawsuit seeking to enjoin the Presidential Inaugural Committee from sponsoring prayers at the official inauguration.

The 34-page legal complaint similarly seeks to enjoin Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, Jr., from adding the phrase "So help me God" to the presidential oath of office.

"We're hoping to stop prayer and religious rituals at governmental functions, especially at the inauguration," Barker told FOX News Radio.

*snip*

Peter Sprigg, vice president for policy at the Family Research Council, said it's Obama's decision whether to include a prayer, not the government's.

"The atheists, while they have every right to practice their atheism, they do not have an absolute right not to be exposed to viewpoints they don't agree with. So I think this lawsuit has no merit whatsoever," Sprigg said.

MORE

:whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: Atheist Group Files Lawsuit Against Prayer at Presidential Inauguration
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »
They would have really hated it 220 years ago being at the inauguration.

Such being the impressions under which I have, in obedience to the public summons, repaired to the present station, it would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official act my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that His benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the people of the United States a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes, and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success the functions allotted to his charge. In tendering this homage to the Great Author of every public and private good, I assure myself that it expresses your sentiments not less than my own, nor those of my fellow-citizens at large less than either. No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men more than those of the United States.

a snippet of Washington's inaugural address.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:50:50 AM »
If this was truly about their non belief in religon...it wouldn't matter to them whether people who DO have fait say a prayer or not.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:06:13 AM »
Oh man.

When are the "atheists" going to be "for" somethng, rather than always being against something?

They're very negative people, the "atheists;" and want to press their misery and wretchedness down on all the rest of the world.  Narrow-minded intolerant unreasoning bigots who wilfully and voluntarily imprison themselves in a tiny little cell.
apres moi, le deluge