Author Topic: NBC: 9/11 Commission KNEW about torture  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
NBC: 9/11 Commission KNEW about torture
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »
Ahh the Kaput primitive...............always in the realm of tinfoil or making mountains out of tiny specks of sand.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2799833

kpete  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 05:07 PM
Original message
NBC: 9/11 Commission KNEW About Torture: TORTURE "Done Specifically" To Answer THEIR Questions!!! 
 About these advertisementsEdited on Thu Jan-31-08 05:35 PM by kpete
9/11 Commission Aware of CIA Torture
by MagisterLudi
Thu Jan 31, 2008 at 02:02:10 PM PST

. NBC News Deep Background is reporting a new controversy with the 9/11 Commission. The commission members suspected that "critical information" in its report was obtained from "enhanced interrogation techniques". As such, the information and possibly some of the conclusions of the commission might be suspect.

The 9/11 Commission suspected that critical information it used in its landmark report was the product of harsh interrogations of al-Qaida operatives - interrogations that many critics have labeled torture. Yet, commission staffers never questioned the agency about the interrogation techniques and in fact ordered a second round of interrogations specifically to ask additional questions of the same operatives, NBC News has learned.

Those conclusions are the result of an extensive NBC News analysis of the 9/11 Commission’s Final Report and interviews with Commission staffers and current and former U.S. intelligence officials.

The analysis shows that much of what was reported about the planning and execution of the terror attacks on New York and Washington was derived from the interrogations of high-ranking al-Qaida operatives. Each had been subjected to "enhanced interrogation techniques." Some were even subjected to waterboarding, the most controversial of the techniques, which simulates drowning.

The NBC News analysis shows that more than one quarter of all footnotes in the 9/11 Report refer to CIA interrogations of al-Qaida operatives who were subjected to the now-controversial interrogation techniques. In fact, information derived from the interrogations is central to the Report’s most critical chapters, those on the planning and execution of the attacks. The analysis also shows - and agency and commission staffers concur - there was a separate, second round of interrogations in early 2004, done specifically to answer new questions from the Commission.

more at:
http://deepbackground.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/30/...
via:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/1/31/164135/860/...

leftchick  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 05:42 PM
Response to Original message
3. omfg
 it gets worse daily. Notice how delicately they word TORTURE SANCTIONED BY THE USA

warren pease  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 05:59 PM
Response to Reply #3
5. I like "enhanced interrogation techniques" myself...
 Makes the whole thing sound so tame. Like when one of the cats brings me the choice part of a fresh rodent because I guess I look like I could use a decent meal and, ungrateful wretch that I am, I raise my voice and say something like, "******* it! what the hell is that!"

Just a little more volume than normal, no big deal, they know it's just a game, they know I'm way too much of a pushover to ever even consider disciplining these spoiled little monsters, no matter what they did.

So that's all that's going on at Gitmo, I'm sure. Just a few raised voices, no big deal, nothing to worry about... until somebody shows up with this weird looking board and a plastic bag...

hootinholler  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 10:17 PM
Response to Reply #5
12. I'm sure all it took to get the truth was 
 A sternly worded nonbinding resolution.

:lmao:

MasonJar  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-31-08 05:42 PM
4. That report was always suspect because that GOPer shill Zeiholt
 (or whatever his name is) was the one who set up the schedule and why those smart dems were too dazzled to exorcize his influence has been an irritant to me since the inception of the process.

librechik  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 06:17 PM
Response to Reply #4
9. Silly Cow (Phillip Zelikow) Chief Wizard and Hypnotist for the Cheney Administrations

derby378  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 06:02 PM
6. You know what to do at the precinct conventions...
 Introduce resolutions blocking or opposing implementation of the 9/11 Commission recommendations until we learn what and how much was information driving the recommendations was obtained via torture.

kpete  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-31-08 07:41 PM
Response to Reply #7
10. thats   
 the part that got me down, kp

defendandprotect  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-01-08 12:39 AM
Response to Reply #7
15. How else could you get anyone to tell the lies they needed to support the 9/11 myth --- ????
 What a joke --- !!!

The only way these people have come to power is thru corruption of our system by criminal political violence over decades and decades ---

gratuitous  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-31-08 11:00 PM
13. Remind me again
 How the United States has the moral high ground in the global war on terrorism? Because watching the machinations of our government, I keep forgetting. Someone tell me how honorable and noble and all that stuff our government officials, and intelligence folks, and military personnel are? Because it's just getting harder and harder for me to distinguish them from the rogues, thugs, and bad actors we're supposed to be making war against

:bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

Eric J in MN  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-01-08 12:57 AM
17. The section you quoted doesn't say that the 9/11 commission knew what techniques...
 ...were being used in the interrogations.

Oh hell.................

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-01-08 01:07 AM
Response to Reply #17
19. They knew, Eric. 
 "We were not aware, but we guessed, that things like that were going on," Philip Zelikow, the 9/11 Commission executive director, told NBC News. "We were wary…we tried to find different sources to enhance our credibility."

Usrename  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-01-08 01:34 AM
22. To me, that means all the signatories to that report are criminals.
 The United Nations Convention Against Torture:

Article 15

Each State Party shall ensure that any statement which is established to have been made as a result of torture shall not be invoked as evidence in any proceedings, except against a person accused of torture as evidence that the statement was made.

I wish we still employed stocks in the public sqare to punish these people.

When will they undestand that we are in the United States??

SpiralHawk  (1000+ posts)     Fri Feb-01-08 07:14 AM
26. MIHOP
 Commander AWOL in a prolonged republicon stupor after being told for the second time that America was under attack on 9/11.

nealmhughes (1000+ posts)       Fri Feb-01-08 02:42 AM
25. It would appear that the Enlightenment is edging away from us daily:
 torture, a penchant towards our own India, school districts with "creationism" and "intelligent design" under review, Rev. Mr. Presidential Candidate and ex-High-Executioner-of-Arkansas Huckabee seriously wanting to amend the Constitution to make it "more in tune with God's laws", Hillary Clinton as a "liberal" anti-war (WTF?) candidate, a public news media from print to radio to the televisors that spew nothing useful except for tripe and the latest institutionalizations of various vacuuous washed up pop stars, Not-Rev. Mr. Presidential Candidate Senator McCain telling us we have to buck for for 100 years of occupation in Mesopotamia, and a dollar worth less than a loonie. Gee, what a great state we find ourselves. Perhaps it is time to petition the EU for oversight of the USA.

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: NBC: 9/11 Commission KNEW about torture
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »
I thought that implimenting ALL the recommendations of the 9/11 commission was part of DUmmies political Nirvana. ::)

Oh wait...that will be when it is convenient next week.

What a bunch of deranged losers.

Offline HACKSAW

Re: NBC: 9/11 Commission KNEW about torture
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »
gratuitous  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-31-08 11:00 PM
13. Remind me again
 How the United States has the moral high ground in the global war on terrorism? Because watching the machinations of our government, I keep forgetting. Someone tell me how honorable and noble and all that stuff our government officials, and intelligence folks, and military personnel are? Because it's just getting harder and harder for me to distinguish them from the rogues, thugs, and bad actors we're supposed to be making war against
Would you listen?

I suppose the fact you are simply posting that filth and not languishing in some gulag isn't enough of a reminder.

:bird: :bigbird: :foff: :tool:
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.