Author Topic: (R) running for the (D) nomination for U.S. Senate in Nebraska; primitives fret  (Read 1383 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2815838

Oh my.

My good friend Omaha Steve:

Omaha Steve  (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-04-08 12:28 PM
Original message

Republican to run as a Dem for US Senate

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2835&u_sid=102498...

Columbus businessman Raimondo announces plans to run for Senate

Columbus businessman Tony Raimondo today announced that he plans to run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Republican Chuck Hagel.

Raimondo, who switched from the GOP to the Democratic Party in December, said he was filing paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to begin his campaign.

"I pledge to be a public servant—not a professional politician. I will bring my real world business experience to Washington and fight against the career politicians who unwittingly stifle innovation, economic opportunity and development," Raimondo said.

Raimondo is chairman of Behlen Manufacturing Co. in Columbus. He's the first Democrat to enter the Senate race.

Former Gov. Mike Johanns, who resigned as President Bush's agriculture secretary last fall, is seeking the GOP nomination, along with Schuyler financial planner Pat Flynn, a political novice.

The primitives are not happy, despite the Nebraska Democrats having done their best to find someone.

derby378  (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-04-08 12:32 PM
Response to Original message

1. Is this guy a stealth candidate for the GOP, or is he for real?

Robbien  (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-04-08 12:55 PM
Response to Reply #1

6. He is of the Bush Dog variety

He is pro-business all the way. His mentor in the Senate is Ben Nelson who is part of the coalition who votes with GOPers and against the Democratic party 90% of the time.

Hopefully Scott Kleeb will join the race, otherwise Bush Dog Raimondo will be unopposed in the Democratic primary.

I dunno.  The primitives wouldn't like Scott Kleeb any more than they like.....George Bush.

I think Tony's the man for the Dems in Nebraska.

Selatius (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-04-08 12:34 PM

2. If Democrats don't want him, vote for somebody else in the primary contest.

Otherwise, you get what you vote for, a pro-business politician who may be soft on regulating the same business elements he emerged from.

Zodiak Ironfist (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-04-08 12:37 PM

3. So is the DLC involved in this one

Schumer involved?

If so, this can only be a bad thing for progressives. The senate already has 22 Democratic senators who are DLC. Guess why we can't get anything done in the senate?

robinlynne  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-04-08 12:38 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. you said it.

RedStateShame (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-04-08 12:40 PM

5. Didn't Joe Lieberman do this already?

napi21  (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-04-08 01:05 PM

7. I have what you might consider a silly question.

In THIS situation and several other fairly red states, I always hear about how their Senators & Reps are Dino's and we should get rid of them. Is it POSSIBLE that only very moderate Dems could ever get elected in those states? I know for sure that the southern states I've lived in would NEVER elect a person like Ted Kennedy or Dick Durbin to ANY OFFICE!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

According to DU rules, they have to support him if he gets the nomination or they will be banned.  He is a registered democrat. :)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
"He is pro-business all the way."

I realize that the DUmmies hate business; however, I wonder if they realize that a business makes their Cheetos, a business makes their rolling papers, a business makes the instruments that they use to murder unborn babies, a business makes the markers that they use to make their useless protest signs, a business makes the pots and pans that they bang, a business makes the computer that they rant on, etc.

I wish that just once that one of their fictional spirit guides or sage smoke or pendulums would give them a glimpse into what life would be like for them without business.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.