Author Topic: Anyone ever learn to sail on the ocean? (not a lake or river)  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

I'm talking a wind powered sailboat. How hard is it to learn to sail?
I've always had a fantasy of owning a sailboat, and when times get rough (like a zombie invasion or such), just to sail away, live on a boat, fish for my dinner, rescue a couple of bikini babes and repopulate the earth.

fantasy aside, how difficult is sailing anyways? (I grew up in Arizona) Can you learn in like a day?
Does the expenses involved take away the fun? Mooring, insurance, payments, etc?

I would want a boat i could camp out in, ya know. I need to bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, etc. This like, what? a 20+ foot single mast ship?

and one last question. Do sharks follow ships? like when you flush...does that lure sharks? (I'm ignorant, OK?!)

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: Anyone ever learn to sail on the ocean? (not a lake or river)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:16 AM »
I used to sail, both cruise and race. I prefer it to powerboating.

Learning the basics isn't hard. But it takes a lot of practice to get good. You can learn on a small Sunfish or Laser fairly easily. A weekend is doable. To learn to properly ocean cruise on a larger boat takes much longer. If it's possible, go down to the local marina and walk the docks. Talk to the people you see on sailboats and ask questions. Most sailors are pretty nice and if you ask, you should be able to find someone to take you out for a few hours and show you some stuff. It may cost you some beer or rum...

If you really want an experience, go down on a race day and see if anyone needs some ballast (unskilled hand). More than likely, you'll sit there and hang onto the lifeline as ... well... ballast, but you can see how things work and if you show some enthusiasm and willingness to learn, they'll start teaching you how to work the lines. That's how I got started in racing.

I couldn't tell you how the expenses are. I never owned my own sailboat. However the joke goes that the definition of "boat" is a hole in the water you pour your money into.

With what you want, I'd say you'd need at least a 25 footer. And I'm not sure about the sharks. Don't think I ever saw any. 

Of course, your mileage may vary and look out for the boom.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:46:13 AM »
I learned to sail as a kid growing up around people that had boats, and living right on the great barrier reef as I do.

Have also raced tornado class cats at a casual club level at both lakes and beaches.

I will note tho that I've never sailed on the open ocean or much more than a few hundred meters outside the ocean breaks on the reef.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:17:29 AM »
I have sailed on Cape Cod and the panhandle of Florida many times as a passenger in races and for leisure (partying) -- it is not easy and it is an expensive hobby. 

Start out small, take lessons and learn celestial navigation.   Don't always rely on electronic navigation systems as they are known to fail when you really need them the most. 

Have fun.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:38:33 AM »
I'm talking a wind powered sailboat. How hard is it to learn to sail?
I've always had a fantasy of owning a sailboat, and when times get rough (like a zombie invasion or such), just to sail away, live on a boat, fish for my dinner, rescue a couple of bikini babes and repopulate the earth.

I'll see if I can find it, but there's a website that chronicles several people and families taking leave of absences from the modern world, and exploring the world by sail for a year or two at a time.  It had a forum, with some fascinating discussions, including a few younger people doing it essentially on the cheap. 

One must always be ready for World War Z!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
My father at one time owned a Clipper Marine 26' sailboat. We only took it out on Folsom Lake, but I "got the hang of it" pretty quickly. I wouldent have wanted to live on it. It was just a bit too small/cramped, being a "pop-top" boat (the galley "roof" could be lifted/propped up for head room).
We are, however, going on a day cruise on a 34' (I believe) in the Delta. My father this last weekend won the cruise in a Kiwanis dinner (crab feed) we attended. (he's a member)
Most people who live on a saliboat seem to have 30+ foot boats.
We probably wont go until the weather is nice, say June, but I'll report back about the boat.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.