Author Topic: McCain wins Florida  (Read 10481 times)

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
McCain wins Florida
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »
McCain Claims Conservative Mantle

Jan 29 09:11 PM US/Eastern
By LIZ SIDOTI
Associated Press Writer

MIAMI (AP) - John McCain solidified his status as the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination with a Florida triumph, his candidacy having come full circle in little more than a year.

"It shows one thing. I'm the conservative leader who can unite the party," the Arizona senator said in a brief interview with The Associated Press.

He was hesitant to give himself a label and was mindful of the challenges ahead, saying: "It's a very significant boost but I think we've got a tough week ahead and a lot of states to come."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UFTR181&show_article=1

Piss.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: McCain wins Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
"McCain Claims Conservative Mantle"

Now THAT is my definition of irony.  That gun-grabbing, anti-free speech, pro-illegal bastard will not get in if I can do anything.

The lines are drawn my friends.  Romney is our last, best hope.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »

Now THAT is my definition of irony.  That gun-grabbing, anti-free speech, pro-illegal bastard will not get in if I can do anything.

That's what I'm saying. At least Romney made it extremely close in FL and picked up some delegates.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »
Rumor Control says Giuliani will throw to McCain.

:censored:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:36:51 PM »

He's bowing out, ain't he??

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:38:58 PM »
If McCain is the Republican candidate come November, I can honestly say I don't give a flying f*ck who wins.  

The most important aspect of this upcoming presidential election is the imminent retirement of Ruth Ginsberg and Paul Stevens from the Supreme Court.  I cannot imagine McCain would make a bit of difference when the time comes to nominate who should be a pro-American to the most lofty court.    

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »

He's bowing out, ain't he??

He has to or suffer a possible humiliation in NYC.  Though he just might hold off for the next debate to get some gabs in.

If McCain is a conservative so is Hillary.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »
If McCain is the Republican candidate come November, I can honestly say I don't give a flying f*ck who wins. 

The most important aspect of this upcoming presidential election is the imminent retirement of Ruth Ginsberg and Paul Stevens from the Supreme Court.  I cannot imagine McCain would make a bit of difference when the time comes to nominate who should be a pro-American to the most lofty court.   

If McLame is the GOP candidate, it's time to move to Montana and live in the woods and stock up on ammo and canned foods.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
I'm staying home on election day if "conservatives" pick this man to lead us.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
*sigh*

Part of me welcomes the whooping that may be coming for the GOP. The Dem will be president for two years. Conservatives will be elected back to congress, and the Dem will be a one-term debacle.

While I'm a conservative, I'm not as far right as others on this board. That said, I'm going to have a hard time voting for McCain in the general and respecting myself afterward.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »

The most important aspect of this upcoming presidential election is the imminent retirement of Ruth Ginsberg and Paul Stevens from the Supreme Court.  I cannot imagine McCain would make a bit of difference when the time comes to nominate who should be a pro-American to the most lofty court.   

If McLame is the GOP candidate, it's time to move to Montana and live in the woods and stock up on ammo and canned foods.

On the bright side, McCain is only about two years away from fulfilling his life expectancy (according to the charts).

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:46:12 PM »
And they wanted to rally conservatives to vote?  UM RIGHT! :whatever:

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:10:13 PM »

"It shows one thing. I'm the conservative leader who can unite the party," the Arizona senator said in a brief interview with The Associated Press.

No, John, you aren't.  I might hold my nose and vote for you in the general election, but you are unacceptable to a broad cross section of the conservative base.  Despite your campaign propaganda that you are one of the few electable Republicans in the race, or that you've got the best shot, you are one of the few Republicans who has a reasonable chance of losing this race.  None of the Democrats are anywhere near electable on their own, but with an anti-Free Speech, pro-illegal alien candidate leaving the Republican base disillusioned, anything can happen.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »

I understand your frustration, but I doubt you would actually do it.  if he is the nominee, and his opponent is either the BarackStar or hillary, I am sure you will run, run mind you, to the polls to vote against the dem, if nothing else. :wink:

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
*sigh*

Part of me welcomes the whooping that may be coming for the GOP. The Dem will be president for two years. Conservatives will be elected back to congress, and the Dem will be a one-term debacle.

While I'm a conservative, I'm not as far right as others on this board. That said, I'm going to have a hard time voting for McCain in the general and respecting myself afterward.

I was just a young whipper-snapper back then, but what were Clinton's re-election chances like in 1994?  I would assume they weren't that good.  I, for one, refuse to vote for a Republican Congress to sit there and take the arrows from another incompetent Dem administration. :banghead:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline RWKindaGuy

• Hiding in the hinterlands as a professional
  • One giant rightward step for mankind
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
I understand your frustration, but I doubt you would actually do it.  if he is the nominee, and his opponent is either the BarackStar or hillary, I am sure you will run, run mind you, to the polls to vote against the dem, if nothing else. :wink:

I think a lot of us conservatives might be put in that boat.  With Thompson and Hunter out of the race, the only semi-conservative left is Romney (*cough*).  I would not like it a bit, but I refuse not to vote.  So I'd have to pull the lever for McCain as I won't throw away a vote to a third party, and I won't vote for either of the two presumptive nominees on the Democratic side.  The last Democrat I voted for (twice) was Zell Miller when he ran for Governor and then for re-election.  I don't think we'll ever see a Democrat of that caliber ever running for national office.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »

Your vote is big deal, I believe you should use it. That said, don't vote for McCain if you don't want to. I likely will not vote for the useless tool either. However, just remember there will be plenty of issues on your ticket either local, state or even national that have nothing to do with the POTUS.

I will not vote for McCain either. But I'm sure as heck voting!
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Lauri

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »

That's what I'm saying. At least Romney made it extremely close in FL and picked up some delegates.

we were watching FOX earlier and the crawl said McCain picked up all the delegates in Florida.. is that not correct? Did Romney get some of the delegates?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »

I think a lot of us conservatives might be put in that boat.  With Thompson and Hunter out of the race, the only semi-conservative left is Romney (*cough*).  I would not like it a bit, but I refuse not to vote.  So I'd have to pull the lever for McCain as I won't throw away a vote to a third party, and I won't vote for either of the two presumptive nominees on the Democratic side.  The last Democrat I voted for (twice) was Zell Miller when he ran for Governor and then for re-election.  I don't think we'll ever see a Democrat of that caliber ever running for national office.

the big danger, of course, is that dr. nutsack decides to jump in as a third party candidate because the GOP nominee isn't "conservative" enough, and drains off just enough votes in a close election to give us president Barackstar!* or president hillary.

*the BaracKStar's nickname has been changed to the BarackStar!, because he is just that exciting.

Offline RWKindaGuy

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
we were watching FOX earlier and the crawl said McCain picked up all the delegates in Florida.. is that not correct? Did Romney get some of the delegates?

Florida is a winner take all state.  Unfortunately, no delegates for Romney.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »

florida is winner-take-all, I believe.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »

Florida is an all-or-nothing state, if I read correctly.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »
*sigh*

I was just a young whipper-snapper back then, but what were Clinton's re-election chances like in 1994?  I would assume they weren't that good.  I, for one, refuse to vote for a Republican Congress to sit there and take the arrows from another incompetent Dem administration. :banghead:

Clinton (Bill) never got even 50% of the vote in either presidential election. he had third party spoilers that peeled off votes from the GOPer... so, Clinton got in by the skin of his teeth.

Maybe our best shot now is a brokered convention? I cant even imagine who that would be though..

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 09:36:59 PM »

The winner-take-all Florida race hands McCain the state’s 57 delegates to the GOP nominating convention. That’s half the delegates the state would have been given for this year’s convention but the Republican National Committee penalized the state for holding its primary ahead of Super Tuesday.
http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/01/29/mccain-romney-too-close-to-call-clinton-takes-early-lead-in-florida-primary/

Your "mostly" right as I understand it. Florida is a "take all" State but "all" are not counted this year. (some consolation given a McPain win though Romney gets nothing)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline RWKindaGuy

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
the big danger, of course, is that dr. nutsack decides to jump in as a third party candidate because the GOP nominee isn't "conservative" enough, and drains off just enough votes in a close election to give us president Barackstar!* or president hillary.

*the BaracKStar's nickname has been changed to the BarackStar!, because he is just that exciting.

Very true.

I also noticed that when I typed (you know) it changed it to moonbat.  I don't consider Zell to be in that category, so is there any way to restore him in good standing in that reply?  :)