Author Topic: Obama Memo to Press: Florida Doesn't Count  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama Memo to Press: Florida Doesn't Count
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
Obama Memo to Press: Florida Doesn't Count

Sen. Barack Obama's campaign is encouraging the national media not to fall for a Clinton campaign declaration of victory in Florida's Primary election today, because the state cannot award delegates to the Democratic Party's national nominating convention. Florida and Michigan both were penalized after scheduling early votes without national party approval.

"The Clinton campaign had a (media conference) call that Flkorida should be covered by all you folks in a serious fashion," said Sen. John Kerry, D-MA, and an Obama supporter. "What this race is about right now is delegates. The bottom line is that Florida does not offer any delegates. It should not be a spin race, a fabricated race."

Kerry said Florida is a state where Obama, former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, and Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, signed pledges not to campaign after the Democratic National Committee stripped it of delegates for moving its primary date up without national party approval.

Yet Clinton campaign allies, notably the AFSCME labor union has been "spending tons of money" there, Kerry said, to create a symbolic Clinton victory before Feb. 5 elections in 22 states. Moreover, Hillary Clinton will be in Florida tonight, to thank supporters after today's votes are tallied.

While the Clinton campaign may not win any delegates, it no doubt seeks to project a media image of restored momentum after losing to Obama by a two-to-one margin in South Carolina on Saturday.

"We think it is a very political move and voters will see it as too cute by half," said Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe, who also noted that his main opponent, Hillary Clinton, appears to be changing her position on whether Michigan's delegates ought to be seated at the Democratic Convention.

The campaign officials also said Obama was well-organized in the 22 states voting a week from today with 500 staffers and 75,000 active volunteers. He said the campaign has raised $5 million online since winning Saturday's South Carolina Primary. He said the campaign had 13,000 volunteers in that state, a figure slightly less than what the campaign said last weekend.

Story

The fight is setting up nicely.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Obama Memo to Press: Florida Doesn't Count
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »
Such irony in the shadow of the 2000 election.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »
Wow. The Clintons have a problem with telling the truth.

::)

In other news, water is wet.

:tongue:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:08:55 PM »
He's right. 

Anyone know why the Republicans didn't do the same?  I suspect they, unlike the dims, don't believe in disenfranchising voters, but maybe I am putting a halo where one doesn't belong.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »
He's right. 

Anyone know why the Republicans didn't do the same?  I suspect they, unlike the dims, don't believe in disenfranchising voters, but maybe I am putting a halo where one doesn't belong.

The Republican do not attempt to micromanage the states.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
He's right. 

Ah. Freedom. The Left should consider that as a possible way of life.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
He's right. 

Ah. Freedom. The Left should consider that as a possible way of life.

Freedom is an Orwellian concept to the lefty liberals.  "You're either with us or against us" was a huge slap in the face to the lefty liberals when the President used the phrase in regards to fighting terrorists, but in reality, it is the lefty liberals' oath and battle cry for just about every aspect of their ideology.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
ok guys, some of the finer points here tonight are new to me..

if Florida delegates dont get seated on either side, why did they even vote there, and declare Hilary and mcCain as the 'winners' ..?

is it so, in August, if they decide to seat the delegates then the state has already voted? or is it something else?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »

if Florida delegates dont get seated on either side, why did they even vote there, and declare Hilary and mcCain as the 'winners' ..?

is it so, in August, if they decide to seat the delegates then the state has already voted? or is it something else?

the republicans cut FL's delegate total in half, from 114 to 57, as punishment for moving their primary up.

but a lot of this is lost in the noise to me, too.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »

the republicans cut FL's delegate total in half, from 114 to 57, as punishment for moving their primary up.

at least on our side, our guys could have said something along the lines of, "well we didnt actually pick up any delegates" and that would have at least made Hilary look like the liar she has always been.

but both sides are acting like it was a normal win and people who dont pay attention will think it was legitimate.

and they wonder why the public doesnt want to get involved in this stuff..

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »

at least on our side, our guys could have said something along the lines of, "well we didnt actually pick up any delegates" and that would have at least made Hilary look like the liar she has always been.

but both sides are acting like it was a normal win and people who dont pay attention will think it was legitimate.

and they wonder why the public doesnt want to get involved in this stuff..

I honestly think that michigan and florida will ultimately seat their full slate of delegates at the convention.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »
if that happens.. then Hilary is going to keep the upper hand.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »

exactly.  I would put money on the clintons obsessive opportunism over a neophyte any day of the week.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »

exactly.  I would put money on the clintons obsessive opportunism over a neophyte any day of the week.

yep.. they just know how to fight dirtier than Obama does. Kennedy's support of Obama may have hurt the guy more than we realize.. i dont see that it made much difference afterward. he didnt get any bounce out of it and Hilary waxed him in Florida..

Offline ToastedRachel

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 12:00:07 AM »

I honestly think that michigan and florida will ultimately seat their full slate of delegates at the convention.

I'm sure she knows they will, and that's why she did what she did. She's an animal!  :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

I'm sure she knows they will, and that's why she did what she did. She's an animal!  :-)

never **** with the clintons.

Offline ToastedRachel

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 12:03:06 AM »
She didn't get in this to lose. She'll get rid of that pesky half black however she has to. It's gonna be great. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
She didn't get in this to lose. She'll get rid of that pesky half black however she has to. It's gonna be great. :-)

she is about to get blown away.  the BarackStar! is unstoppable.

Offline ToastedRachel

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:45 AM »
Everyone I have asked at work is for McCain. Jenny the white trash register girl hates "that muslim and the bitchy woman." The openly gay dude hates both Obama and Hilary and says he could live with McCain. Forget about the old customers...they adore McCain.

The race is over as far as I can tell.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 01:01:14 AM »
Everyone I have asked at work is for McCain. Jenny the white trash register girl hates "that muslim and the bitchy woman." The openly gay dude hates both Obama and Hilary and says he could live with McCain. Forget about the old customers...they adore McCain.

The race is over as far as I can tell.

well, neither one will carry Kroger at 1AM. 

perhaps that isn't the best survey?