Author Topic: Clinton pushes party to recognise Florida delegates  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Clinton pushes party to recognise Florida delegates
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
Clinton pushes party to recognise Florida delegates

The Clinton camp today renewed efforts to force the Democratic party to recognise the outcome of the Florida primary and allow the state's 185 delegates to be counted in a tight race.

Mark Penn, Hillary Clinton's chief strategist, said they would push the Democratic National Committee to allow the results of both Florida and Michigan to be counted at the party's convention in August. Any challenge by Clinton supporters will be vigorously resisted by the Obama camp.

Hundreds of thousands of Democrats took part in today's primary, outstripping the numbers who participated in earlier caucuses and primaries.

However the Democratic national committee (DNC), the party's ruling body, will not recognise the outcome because the state broke party rules by holding its primary early. "Nothing has changed," a party source said. "Florida will still have zero delegates. The party has booked no rooms for them at the convention."

Hillary Clinton is challenging that ruling. Her chief strategist, Mark Penn, held a phone conference with reporters today on 'Why Florida matters' and Clinton was scheduled to hold a party in Davie, Florida, last night.

The Clinton team said that while it was reluctant to get into an argument with the DNC the votes of 1 million people mattered.

Penn said that while the candidates had not campaigned in Florida - though he accused Obama of breaching the rules by running ads - voters had seen the televised debates and had followed the campaigns elsewhere. "That makes it an election," he said.

Florida could become pivotal for the Democratic party in much the same way that it was central to the outcome of the 2000 presidential election between George Bush and Al Gore in which the result came down to the courts and hanging chads.

It is the fourth most populous state in the country and pressure will mount on the Democratic national committee to review its decision, not just from the Clintons but influential Democratic figures from Michigan, which has also been stripped of its delegates, and Florida.

The DNC in November stripped the state of its delegates when it opted to hold its primary before February 5. Florida was fed up that small states going early such as Iowa and New Hampshire received almost all the media attention.

Barack Obama and Clinton signed voluntary agreements not to campaign in rebel states, Michigan as well as Florida.

More

this could get interesting.  I'll bet it winds up in the courts, and a major component in favor of seating the delegates is the same "disenfranchised minority voters" argument that algore used in 2000, with the obama camp strongly opposed.

how delicious is that?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Clinton pushes party to recognise Florida delegates
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
Oh God, not Florida and votes again!!!! :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Oh God, not Florida and votes again!!!! :-)

and michigan, too.  but yeah.  funny how this could happen all over gain.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:26:55 PM »
The gang of four from the N.E. states will fight Clinton tooth and nail. That should be fun.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:54 PM »
ok, so what was all that today then? why did Hilary declare victory tonight?

seems like a big waste of energy for everyone... for nothing..

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »

At this point HC is trying to project an image of momentum.  If she can steal the delegates later, all the better.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »

At this point HC is trying to project an image of momentum.  If she can steal the delegates later, all the better.

I'm surprised the DNC or the RNC hasnt come out tonight and said, "knock it off" to Hilary yet.. she's obviously stealing something very blatantly and the media is helping her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »

I'm surprised the DNC or the RNC hasnt come out tonight and said, "knock it off" to Hilary yet.. she's obviously stealing something very blatantly and the media is helping her.

this florida thing is going to be a big deal.  remember "count every vote"? :-)  the dems can't very well back away from all that overblown rhetoric without looking like, well, the hypocrites that they are.

of course, it will be even more fun watching obama trying to disenfranchise 2 million democrat primary voters.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »

this florida thing is going to be a big deal.  remember "count every vote"? :-)  the dems can't very well back away from all that overblown rhetoric without looking like, well, the hypocrites that they are.

of course, it will be even more fun watching obama trying to disenfranchise 2 million moonbat primary voters.

and so far, not one of the talking heads has brought up that very important point..

Rush better knock this one out of the park for the next few weeks and MAKE it a big deal.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:36 PM »

of course, it will be even more fun watching obama trying to disenfranchise 2 million moonbat primary voters.

and so far, not one of the talking heads has brought up that very important point..

Rush better knock this one out of the park for the next few weeks and MAKE it a big deal.

I don't think we will even have to get our hands dirty.  team clinton, always praised as the "ultimate politicians" then they were actually the "ultimate self promoters", will handle it for us.  of course, I am sure rush will help :wink:

Hillary already got the ball rolling in her acceptance speech, saying she would "fight" for the "voice" of the florida voters. 

I'm tellin' ya, this is gonna be big.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »
i hope this blows up big in the next few days.. especially since Hilary herself is pushing it so much.

the national parties should make it perfectly clear that they are not seating those delegates... the sooner the better before people forget about Florida.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »
I love it when a Dem goes back on a WRITTEN promise.  The GOP nominee had better use this info 24/7 if she becomes the nominee.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline paladin0

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »
None of the candidates campaigned in Florida, and didn't have a presence there based on the DNC's stripping of the delegates. If they go back on it now, it would be unfair to the others. If Hillary starts to get momentum and the delegates from Florida become un-important, they'll reverse course. If it remains a tight race, forget it.

Paladin0
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
—James Madison, Federalist No. 10

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »
I love it when a Dem goes back on a WRITTEN promise.  The GOP nominee had better use this info 24/7 if she becomes the nominee.

McCain wont utter one single word about it.

Romney might though..