Author Topic: New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »
New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans

PATCHOGUE, N.Y. —  An annual parade of boats on a Long Island river that dropped "Christmas" from its name has apparently lost lots of supporters.

About 1,000 people showed up Sunday for the Patchogue Boat Parade of Lights. That's 500 fewer than usually showed up when it was called the Patchogue Christmas Boat Parade.

Brookhaven-based fireworks company Fireworks by Grucci dropped its sponsorship after the Greater Patchogue Foundation removed "Christmas" from the parade's name. The change was made after some residents complained the name wasn't inclusive enough.

Grucci vice president Philip Butler opposes the secularization of Christmas. His supporters encouraged area residents to stay away from the parade on Patchogue River.

Organizers say the parade still was a success.

Um, last time I checked Christmas was a Christian celebration.  Hey...I know.  Let's demand that Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, etc. holidays be changed so that they include Christians, Druids, Buddhists, etc.  Yeah, that'll work.   :whatever:

LINK

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

Re: New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
I don't understand why people think Christmas isn't inclusive.  No Christians have ever said that non-Christians cannot celebrate Christmas.  In fact, Christians welcome all peoples to celebrate Christmas.  It doesn't matter if you're Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist or whatever.  Christmas is for everyone.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »
attendance dropped by 33.3% and its still a success?