Author Topic: "Pay As You Go" Shop Forced to Close After Customers Stiff Owner  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
"Pay As You Go" Shop Forced to Close After Customers Stiff Owner
A shop that lets you pay what want is becoming another casualty of the sagging economy.

Come Thanksgiving, the OpShOp on Seattle’s Queen Anne Hill will close its doors.

"I ask people when they pay to pay with their head or their heart,” said OpShOp owner Jane Horowitz.

From whimsical holiday plates to obscure albums to hundreds of other items, the customer determines the price for everything.

"I also like telling the person who left it where it's going. I think making that connection is vital to every community,” said Horowitz.

"It's an act of human generosity and kindness in a time when we need that,” said customer Judy Endejan.

A bit chunk of Horowitz’s profits go to funding special programs in public schools, but what’s left over just isn’t enough to keep the business going.

“I can't pay my rent,” said Horowitz. She is two months late on the rent and has a week to move out.

This is what happens when DUmmies try to go into business.  :lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline formerlurker

Re: "Pay As You Go" Shop Forced to Close After Customers Stiff Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »
Wow.   :mental:

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:10:45 AM »
wow. THAT is stupid. Didn't Rush Limbaugh talk about a restaurant with that policy??

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »
Yep--in Salt Lake City, of all places.  Sigh.  I remember that place before all the Commiefornia moonbats took it over.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
So the customers of that store got to CHOOSE how much the price was rather than the market prices? "Say, how much for that Sony HD Plasma TV?" "It is 3500 dollars." "Well, gee, I only have 12 dollars and 27 cents in my pocket along with a 1 dollar off a Big Mac coupon and a ball of lint". "That's okay, I'll take that"...... no wonder the store epically failed.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:56:57 AM »
A bit chunk of Horowitz’s profits go to funding special programs in public schools, but what’s left over just isn’t enough to keep the business going.

obviously, she wasn't made out to be in business as she doesn't know the meaning of the word profit.  She was donating her operating revenue to public schools and thinking they were profits... Typical DUmmie

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »
What a bad idea. Yeah, we all like to pay $12.00 for a 50 inch LCD HD TV set, which would be cool. The market sets it $2,000, which we pay for and that's fine with me anyways. I am sure the price for them will drop quite a bit come February 17, 2009.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »
I think the owner was running some sort of consignment/thrift store.  I used to go to the thrift store on Capitol Blvd in Raleigh all the time... it was a great place to pick up a decent pair of blue jeans for a couple dollars.  I really don't think she was selling 50-inch HDTVs. 

It's still a stupid-assed idea.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
I think that part of her problem is that she was selling stuff that had no easily discernible value. If she had been selling cans of tuna then everyone would have had an idea of what the market price was and some people would have paid something close to that. But 'whimsical holiday plates'? Not only would I not have any idea what the going rate was, but I'd have to be paid to take them away.  It still wouldn't have been a great business model but it would have lasted a bit longer.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
I think the owner was running some sort of consignment/thrift store.  I used to go to the thrift store on Capitol Blvd in Raleigh all the time... it was a great place to pick up a decent pair of blue jeans for a couple dollars.  I really don't think she was selling 50-inch HDTVs. 

It's still a stupid-assed idea.

But, but, but.......it felt good!!!

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.