Author Topic: What is your educational background?  (Read 17190 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: What is your educational background?
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
You are right it's jealousy. Had the Navy had that I would have had an associates long ago and probably had a Bachelors.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »
My cousin is in the Air Force.  She's got more school than she can possibly use.  I know she's got at least a Masters and a couple of Bachelor degrees.  Last I heard she was doing logistics and planning for OIF.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2008, 06:29:09 PM »
You are right it's jealousy. Had the Navy had that I would have had an associates long ago and probably had a Bachelors.

About 5-7 years ago, my brother went up to North Texas.  He showed them what he did in the Navy and they said, okay you need 3 classes and you'll get a bachelor's.  (I forgot what his actual degree was in). 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »
I've got a BA, an MS in Systems Management, a JD cum laude, and an LLM.  I've also gone from Private to LTC in the Army, farm, and do jewelry metal art on the side.  Ask me anything.

:cheersmate:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »
I have a BA in history and sociology from Kent State University, and a paralegal certificate from a community college. Hubby's got a law degree. Sure doesn't mean we're any smarter than those without degrees, though. I've known people with a ton of fancy-pants "bragging frames" on their walls who don't know shit, and I've known people with not a day of education beyond high school who were very smart and successful.

I know some very book smart people.  Very book smart.  But dumb as rocks when it comes to common sense and life experiences. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
I've got a BA, an MS in Systems Management, a JD cum laude, and an LLM.  I've also gone from Private to LTC in the Army, farm, and do jewelry metal art on the side.  Ask me anything.

I hate school.  I don't see how some of you people put up with it for so long. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

About 5-7 years ago, my brother went up to North Texas.  He showed them what he did in the Navy and they said, okay you need 3 classes and you'll get a bachelor's.  (I forgot what his actual degree was in). 

what did your brother do in the Navy??

Offline djones520

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
My cousin is in the Air Force.  She's got more school than she can possibly use.  I know she's got at least a Masters and a couple of Bachelor degrees.  Last I heard she was doing logistics and planning for OIF.

I know what you mean.  I have not taken a single college class, and I've got over 100 credits.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
I have a GED  :tongue:

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »

I know what you mean.  I have not taken a single college class, and I've got over 100 credits.

No school has ever offered me more than 20 credits, most would only offer me 3 credits for a PE class due to boot camp.

Offline vftb

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »

Sit around and dream of being in the Coast Guard  :tongue: :tongue: :rotf:

Sorry folks, little something between me and CH  :-)
To err is human, to really **** things up you need a computer

Offline Zeus

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »
I Drunked out of College once, Ran out of Money once and after a stint in the Army got my education at the school of hard knocks. After successfully running two businesses into the ground and accumalating almost a million dollars in debt with nothing backing it I caught a break.  Under the tuteledge of a remarkable man ( he did such a good job I eventually bought him out) I've created several successful businesses,invested in others,semi - retired at 42 yrs of age. Got bored and jumped back into the fray.

Education is important. I got a couple lawyers, some MBA's and a Phd working for me to keep me spoiled and out of prison  :hyper:

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Sit around and dream of being in the Coast Guard  :tongue: :tongue: :rotf:

:bigbird:

Offline vftb

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
 :rotf: :rotf:
To err is human, to really **** things up you need a computer

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »

sheepishly, I'm not sure exactly.  He's 8 years older than I am, and we're not that close.  What he told me back when I was 12 was that me made sure we weren't attacked by subs off the east coast. *shrug*
Stink Eye

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »

I hate school.  I don't see how some of you people put up with it for so long. 

For various reasons I was never in one place doing the same program for longer than three years.  Kind one of the things that appealed to me about the military, always moving on and taking on new challenges in different places... 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »
For various reasons I was never in one place doing the same program for longer than three years.  Kind one of the things that appealed to me about the military, always moving on and taking on new challenges in different places... 

I suppose that would make a difference.  I've been in the same school for nearly five years, and I think I'm about to lose my mind.  I even took some time off, but I'm still having a hard time pushing myself through the last six months.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »
BA in Criminal Justice from MSU and additional coursework in forensics taken at Univ. of Texas. I worked for a law enforcement agency in Texas for years and was fortunate enough to learn many aspects of the work. It's also kind of the "family business" - I have 11 family members in law enforcement/forensics.

Life circumstances led to me finding a "9 to 5" office job in the field of I.T. I made more money, learned a lot, and was much safer. Although I did do some consulting work for a time. I migrated into administrative support and ended up being able to use all of my background to run an office. Right now, I'm a stay at home mom but that may change this year if we decide to put the kiddo in private school.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline vetwife

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »
Some college....but life has been the biggest educator.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »

hi, VW!  nice to see you again. :)

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 07:58:05 AM »

Hi, Vetwife!!   

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »
Geez...well...nearly have 2 years in Finance and then worked 5 years in that field as an analyst mostly with all the designations--series 7, 63, was working on my 8 when i got pregnant time #1. Been mom for nearly 10 years, but am nearly finished with another 2 years in BMgmt and then I was going to go on to the Bachelors in Accounting, but now I'm kind of wavering and considering straight mathematics since I love that nook of geekness.  :-) I just want to finish SOMETHING!  :lmao:

I tried to go back to work recently, it was a scheduling disaster with my autistic son and his respite care still being figured out so I'm just going to keep plugging away at school and hope to return to work when the littlest his kinder next year. Daycare is a pia, even more so with a child with a disability. Everything seems to have to be planned in great detail and as we know, winter does not care about the best laid plans. :banghead:

Offline vetwife

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
Hi WE..Good seeing you as well.
Hi Lisa...
I LOVE these smilieys :cheersmate:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
Hi WE..Good seeing you as well.
Hi Lisa...
I LOVE these smilieys :cheersmate:
I don't "smiley."

Ever.

;)