Author Topic: Garlic Bread--Need help  (Read 1997 times)

Offline jendf

Garlic Bread--Need help
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
Don't laugh at me. I know it's simple and easy to do. I usually just buy a frozen loaf of Pepperidge Farm garlic bread and throw it on a cookie sheet and bake.

This time, however, I have a loaf of sourdough bread that I'm going to use for my garlic bread. I've never done this before though. I found a recipe online that suggests mixing a little butter, garlic, and parsley together in a bowl and spreading it on each slice. Then baking it at 350 in aluminum foil for about 15 minutes. This sounds easy.

Do you guys do anything different?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Garlic Bread--Need help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »
I might sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on it, too before going into the oven.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
Jen....I either slice the whole thing open like a book or I do individual slices which I prefer.

I mix melted butter, garlic powder and oregano, basil, or parsley(it depends on what I'm serving it with)....brush each piece to the edges....sprinkle Parmesean on it.

If I do the whole loaf I wrap it in foil. Individual slices on a cookie sheet and I bake them at 350 until just barely brown.

In the foil, I bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline jendf

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
Super. Thank you both.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
I've always minced about a clove of garlic, split a french loaf, butter, parsley and mozzerella cheese.

mince the garlic, put the garlic, butter and parsley in a small saucepan...........place on medium heat and what ever ya do DON"T BURN THE GARLIC. Let the flavors mingle and then spread on the bread. Cover with the cheese and bake............Then broil at the end to brown the cheese. let stand for about 5 mins and then slice and serve.

Use this or any other of the recipes given
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline megimoo

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
Super. Thank you both.
Take several whole heads of garlic and cut them in half through the center and 'pouch 'them in aluminum fail
drizzle a generous gulp of olive oil over each half and salt well  and broil on a sheet pan for about fifteen min. under the broiler .When golden brown remove the hot garlic and squeeze out the garlic paste and spread on the pre_buttered split half loafs then back onto the sheet and under the hot broiler for few more minutes.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »
I just go to the grocery store and buy ready-made garlic bread.

No muss, no fuss.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »
Clarify the butter, please.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
I usually whip some butter and toss in some roasted garlic.  Spread, and top with oregano.  A similar cheesy-bread recipe is a stick of butter and four ounces of mild cheddar (room temperature), whipped until entirely blended.  I like a mix of butter, roasted garlic, and a little (a tablespoon) of red wine -- it also works with mayo.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
uh.oh......saw in the Saturday thread, that the garlic bread was awful.... :o
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.