Author Topic: Obama lends staff to help Martin (Ga. Senate Runoff update)  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama lends staff to help Martin (Ga. Senate Runoff update)
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:00:42 AM »

I actually expected the dems to do much more than this.  I was sure that a tsunami of money would flood into Ga to try to take that seat for the dems.  they will need heavy dem turnout to overcome the fact that the split in the vote for the libertarian candidate will likely favor chambliss.

but I also understand that mccain will campaign for chambliss.  that oughta turn some people off. :whatever:

Obama lends staff to help Martin
No personal visit on schedule so far by president-elect

An appearance in Georgia by President-elect Barack Obama on behalf of Jim Martin appears unlikely, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t making his presence felt in Martin’s Dec. 2 runoff against incumbent Republican U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

Obama is keeping 25 of his Georgia field offices open for Martin, leaving most of his in-state paid staff here and importing about 100 field operatives from Southern states to help Martin, according to Matt Canter, a spokesman for Martin’s campaign.

Other veterans of completed campaigns are also on their way or are already here, such as Canter himself, who was brought in to help with Martin’s press staff. Canter most recently helped Democrat Jeff Merkley defeat incumbent Republican U.S. Sen. Gordon Smith last week in Oregon.

Chambliss’ campaign, meanwhile, confirmed that U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) will campaign for Chambliss in Cobb County on Thursday. McCain will appear at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre on at 4:30 p.m. as part of a Chambliss rally.

Speculation is rampant that McCain’s vice presidential nominee, Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska, also will turn out for the incumbent, but a Palin visit had not been confirmed on Tuesday. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who carried Georgia in the Republican presidential primary, will campaign for Chambliss on Sunday.

More

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Obama lends staff to help Martin (Ga. Senate Runoff update)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:40 AM »
Getting Sarah in on it would probably do a damn' sight more for Saxby Chambliss than having John show up, especially for roping Libertarians back into the fold.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
Getting Sarah in on it would probably do a damn' sight more for Saxby Chambliss than having John show up, especially for roping Libertarians back into the fold.

I meant to mention Sarah, but somehow forgot. :thatsright:  I don't know how she would fare with people that truly consider themselves to be libertarian, but she would win back 100% of the conservatives that voted for the libertarian candidate in protest, so to speak.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:50 AM »
I meant to mention Sarah, but somehow forgot. :thatsright:  I don't know how she would fare with people that truly consider themselves to be libertarian, but she would win back 100% of the conservatives that voted for the libertarian candidate in protest, so to speak.

You put that better than I managed to, that is the bloc I was meaning - Conservatives and Republicans who voted for the Libertarian, much more than the dyed-in-the-wool Libertarians.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.