Author Topic: Obama likely to escape campaign audit  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama likely to escape campaign audit
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »
someone explain to me how it makes sense for the candidate the broke records for fundraising and spending on a galactic scale to avoid any inquiry into his finances.

Obama likely to escape campaign audit

The Federal Election Commission is unlikely to conduct a potentially embarrassing audit of how Barack Obama raised and spent his presidential campaign’s record-shattering windfall, despite allegations of questionable donations and accounting that had the McCain campaign crying foul.

Adding insult to injury for Republicans: The FEC is obligated to complete a rigorous audit of McCain’s campaign coffers, which will take months, if not years, and cost McCain millions of dollars to defend.

Obama is expected to escape that level of scrutiny mostly because he declined an $84 million public grant for his campaign that automatically triggers an audit and because the sheer volume of cash he raised and spent minimizes the significance of his errors. Another factor: The FEC, which would have to vote to launch an audit, is prone to deadlocking on issues that inordinately impact one party or the other – like approving a messy and high-profile probe of a sitting president.

McCain, on the other hand, accepted the $84 million in taxpayer money, which not only barred him from raising or spending more – allowing Obama to fund many times more ads and ground operations – but also will keep his lawyers busy for a couple years explaining how every penny was spent.

Through the end of September, McCain had socked away $9.4 million in a special fund to pay for the audit.

More

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Obama likely to escape campaign audit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
"Treason never doth prosper,
Pray, what is the reason?
Why, if it prosper,
None dare call it treason."

Winning trumps accountability in our system.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
"Treason never doth prosper,
Pray, what is the reason?
Why, if it prosper,
None dare call it treason."

Winning trumps accountability in our system.

it was a rhetorical question. :-)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
How DARE any of you question the Dear Leader!

:hammer:

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:16:29 PM »
I think Obama should be audited.  He raised so much, it would only make sense to audit him. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
I think Obama should be audited.  He raised so much, it would only make sense to audit him. 

Your papers , please?  One does not question Der Fuhrer.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »
Your papers , please?  One does not question Der Fuhrer.

In reality all major political campaigns should be audited.  It makes sense.  *shrug*
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
In reality all major political campaigns should be audited.  It makes sense.  *shrug*

In reality, with all the illegal/foreign/bogus contributions that were already uncovered for the Obama campaign, I can't see how they can justify not auditing.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
Obama SHOULD be audited. There's allegations of credit card fraud, mysterious donations from overseas donors, etc etc etc. If the FEC ignores Obama's transgressions, then we just might as well throw out the judicial system.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Obama SHOULD be audited. There's allegations of credit card fraud, mysterious donations from overseas donors, etc etc etc. If the FEC ignores Obama's transgressions, then we just might as well throw out the judicial system.

Between the "questionable" campaign donations and the obviously gerry-rigged vote tallies, I am absolutely fed up with what's left of the "election" system in this country.  The democrats aren't even trying to hide the fact that they're cheating, and the republicans are studiously ignoring it for reasons I can only guess at, but the ultimate reason I can see is to establish those "in power" as aristocratic elites, safely above the petty ire of us lowly assholes that keep electing 'em all.

As far as I'm concerned, a pox on both your ****ing houses!  :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.