Author Topic: Palin puts faith in God  (Read 3697 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Palin puts faith in God
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:49:35 AM »
Sarah Palin has refused to rule out running for US president in the future but said her decision would be guided by God.

Giving her first television interview since last week's historic US elections, the former Republican vice-presidential candidate said faith played an important part in her life.

She said: "Putting my life in my creator's hands, this is what I always do.

"I'm like, OK God, if there is an open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray. I'm like, don't let me miss the open door.

"If there is an open door in 2012 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plough through that door." ...
link

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Palin puts faith in God
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »
Keep talking Sarah!!!

I think Matt Lauer is supposed to interview her tonight?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:35:11 AM »
Keep talking Sarah!!!

I think Matt Lauer is supposed to interview her tonight?

Greta.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »
She might, like, do well to sound, well, less like a, like, valley girl and more like a statesman, like.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:27 AM »
Saw some excerpts on Fox this morning, it doesn't sound Valspeak at all.

Funny that in a country that supposedly prizes freedom of the press and freedom of religion, the press is one-sidedly against any exercise of freedom of religion outside their own accepted parameters (evangelicals need not apply) by a candidate for national office.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
She might, like, do well to sound, well, less like a, like, valley girl and more like a statesman, like.

Actually, she's always sounded like one of those transplanted Minnisota or Wisconsin nordics to me, "doncha know".
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
Saw some excerpts on Fox this morning, it doesn't sound Valspeak at all.

Funny that in a country that supposedly prizes freedom of the press and freedom of religion, the press is one-sidedly against any exercise of freedom of religion outside their own accepted parameters (evangelicals need not apply) by a candidate for national office.

I didn't see the excerpt on Fox nor did I hear this exchange. But I have to assume that she was quoted verbatim. If she was quoted verbatim, she's got to be aware of how her language comes across on paper.

Hell, if Maggie Thatcher can get vocal coaching lessons, so can Sarah. It would be good for her, also to cut down on some of the shrillness in her voice.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
Whatever floats your boat, Eupher, I just don't agree with you.  I so agree with DefiantSix, her figures of speech come across as pure Northern Tier, nor do I find her voice shrill at all, unlike say, Hillary, who does speak in a higher register, at least to my ear.  No female candidate is going to escape sniping about her voice, no matter how schooled, and a Conservative one would be criticized for even trying the schooling to boot. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
Whenever I hear Palin's voice, it reminds me of Edie McClurg.  I think it's more the vernacular choice that does it than it is the actual physics of the sound, but the effect is the same regardless.

Now Sarah's IMAGE, on the other hand.... (did I just confess something there?)

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »
Fair enough, DAT, but as you yourself point out, a woman's voice timbre or inflection automatically gets shrill when the volume goes up - as it most certainly did during the 3 or 4 rallies I heard snippets of.

Hillary, Palin, Thatcher. They all had/have the same problem - shrillness when they got loud. Thatcher took action to fix that, though I doubt she had problems with "valspeak".

Notice I said not one word about diction - the tonal inflections/accents associated with where a person originates. The use of the word "like" as a mental comma seems to be associated with young people, irrespective of locale. I used the term "valley girl" because that's where that kind of speech originated, AFAIK. My stepson, who goes to school in Austin, TX, speaks that way though he writes exceptionally well.

I pointed out that Palin would do well to be aware of that through vocal coaching. It can be reduced. That way she doesn't sound like somebody 25 years younger than she is.

YMMV.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »
I watched the Palin interview on Greta's show on Fox last night and thought that she did a good job. I think the second part is supposed to be on tonight.

She was on the Today show this morning, interviewed by Matt Lauer. Again, I thought she did fine, and he didn't seem to be sniping at her. The second part of that interview will be on tomorrow's show.

I was just wondering why so much of the interview on both shows incorporated her actually cooking in her kitchen. I know it was supposed to make her seem down to earth, but not sure if she needs to convey the Martha Stewart image if she's intending to run for another office. A guy wouldn't be in the kitchen, talking while chopping food for dinner.

These images have a long shelf life, that can be incorporated into a political ad very quickly.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »

It's, uh, certainly, uh, uh, uh, better, uh, than, uh, uh, the guy, uh, we're, uh, uh, uh, uh, hold on now, hold on, getting, uh, hold on, uh, uh, uh, as, uh, president.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
It's, uh, certainly, uh, uh, uh, better, uh, than, uh, uh, the guy, uh, we're, uh, uh, uh, uh, hold on now, hold on, getting, uh, hold on, uh, uh, uh, as, uh, president.
^^^ Beavis/Butthead Syndrome.  Uh, uh, uh.....

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »
^^^ Beavis/Butthead Syndrome.  Uh, uh, uh.....

What's sad, is that Biden even kinda looks like the Beavis to Dear Leader's Butthead.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:32 AM »
What's sad, is that Biden even kinda looks like the Beavis to Dear Leader's Butthead.

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the capped teeth. Makes him look like a Hollyweird retread.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the capped teeth. Makes him look like a Hollyweird retread.

I thought it was the plugs that gave off that effect.  :cheersmate: