Author Topic: Boiled Nuts  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Boiled Nuts
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
And no this has nothing to do with WE and what schade did to him

Boiled Peanuts............... :cheersmate:

Just picked up 50lbs :hyper: :hyper:

How do ya'll cook em???

BS for anyone saying boiling em :hammer:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Boiled Nuts
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
I thought one eats them raw.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:48:20 PM »
I thought one eats them raw.

Well you can, but that wouldn't be a boiled one.

These are green peanuts also

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »
These are green peanuts also.

Never heard of "green" peanuts in my life.

Instead of picking 50 pounds, you should have just gotten them at the grocery store.

Easier, cheaper, cleaner.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »
Never heard of "green" peanuts in my life.

Instead of picking 50 pounds, you should have just gotten them at the grocery store.

Easier, cheaper, cleaner.

Green peanuts are what you use for boiling. They haven't been dried yet and are still moist. Most raw penuts have been dried so they don't spoil so fast.

I didn't pick em, no way cheaper, and they're fairly clean.................amazing what modern farm equipment can do

Green Peanuts, water, salt....heat

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »
Hey, let's be careful with the nuts, okay?   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
My mom used to boil them in heavily salted water for about half and hour or so. I can't remember because she passed away 33 years ago. Since the peanut plant here in Denison closed up, they don't seem to be as popular as they were so many years ago.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »
My mom used to boil them in heavily salted water for about half and hour or so. I can't remember because she passed away 33 years ago. Since the peanut plant here in Denison closed up, they don't seem to be as popular as they were so many years ago.

I had old-fashioned boiled peanuts once -- it was in So. Cal. but the recipe was from Old Virgina (sort of ironic I have been in Richmond for a total of about 2 years and have yet to find any Southern cooking and certainly not VA peanuts).

They were pretty good and I even get a hankering for them.

Anyone out there from central VA that can tell me where to find them?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »
I had old-fashioned boiled peanuts once -- it was in So. Cal. but the recipe was from Old Virgina (sort of ironic I have been in Richmond for a total of about 2 years and have yet to find any Southern cooking and certainly not VA peanuts).

They were pretty good and I even get a hankering for them.

Anyone out there from central VA that can tell me where to find them?

My god man..........................travel I-64 East.  The majority of all peanuts used for boiling are Virginians.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
My god man..........................travel I-64 East.  The majority of all peanuts used for boiling are Virginians.
That takes me to VA Beach -- maybe you can suggest a stop along the way?

:)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

Yeah the Hampton Tunnel and start heading towards NC

http://www.mickeyspeanuts.com/boiled.htm

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:02:32 PM »
Yeah the Hampton Tunnel and start heading towards NC

http://www.mickeyspeanuts.com/boiled.htm

Why is it that I consider online = generic?  The same for jerk sauce, salsa and other true local culinary treats.

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »
Why is it that I consider online = generic?  The same for jerk sauce, salsa and other true local culinary treats.

For salsas and hot sauces...Peppers of Key West. They have a web site, I think. They will mail....incredible store. I have shipped stuff from there.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »

The Virginia tidewater is peanut country.........................green peanuts are only around a few weeks. Take a drive while you are still a free man and find a vegetable stand that offers boiled or green peanuts

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »

I think that Suffolk, Va is the home of Planter's Peanuts. North Texas & Southern Oklahoma used to be pretty inundated with peanut crops. I guess the Govt has paid them not to grow peanuts or cotton here since I left.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »
The Virginia tidewater is peanut country.........................green peanuts are only around a few weeks. Take a drive while you are still a free man and find a vegetable stand that offers boiled or green peanuts

Last year at this time I didn't see any signs on the 64 all the way from Richmond to Va Beach -- where where where??????

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »
Suffolk is SE of Va Beach. One stays on I-64, not on 264 (to the beach)

Boiled Peanuts Recipe

Judging from the many variations on recipes for boiled peanuts, there appears to be no wrong way to boil green peanuts. The important thing is the many tastings needed to determine when they are done. You must taste test the boiled peanuts for saltiness and firmness, as some people prefer soft nuts to firmer ones.

4 to 5 pounds green (raw) peanuts in shell
4 to 6 quarts water
1 cup plain salt

Wash unshelled peanuts thoroughly in cold water until water runs clear; then soak in cool, clean water for approximately 30 minutes before cooking.

In a large pot, place soaked peanuts and cover completely with water. Add 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. Cook, covered, on high heat for 4 to 7 hours.

NOTE: the cooking time of boiled peanuts varies according to the maturity of the peanuts used and the variety of peanuts. The cooking time for a 'freshly pulled" or green peanut is shorter than for a peanut that has been stored for a time.

Boil the peanuts for about 4 hours, then taste. Taste again i 10 minutes, both for salt and texture. Keep cooking and tasting until the peanuts reach desired texture (when fully cooked, the texture of the peanut should be similar to that of a cooked dry pea or bean).

Remove from heat and drain peanuts after cooking or they will absorb salt and become over salted.

Peanuts may be eaten hot or at room temperature, or chilled in the refrigerator and eaten cold, shelling as you eat them.

Freezing boiled peanuts:
Prepare peanuts as indicated above. Drain, allow to cool, and freeze in airtight containers. They keep indefinitely.

Canning Boiled Peanuts:
Prepare peanuts and brine the same as for boiling for immediate use.

Pack peanuts into jars to within one-half inch of the top, using equal weights of peanuts and hot brine (212°F). Partially submerge containers in upright position in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Seal while hot and process 45 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. Cool containers in water, label, and store away from heat.