Author Topic: Ohio official admits Wurzelbacher search went farther than she first stated  (Read 4515 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
When last we heard from Helen Jones-Kelley, the director of Ohio’s Job and Family Services Division insisted that she has everyone who gets public attention checked to see if they owe family support.  Now, with more details about the searches performed on Joe Wurzelbacher becoming public, Jones-Kelley acknowledges she didn’t quite tell the entire truth at first.  Her department also ran checks on taxes and welfare payments to see if they could catch Joe the Plumber cheating the system:
A state agency has revealed that its checks of computer systems for potential information on “Joe the Plumber” were more extensive than it first acknowledged.
Helen Jones-Kelley, director of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, disclosed today that computer inquiries on Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher were not restricted to a child-support system.
The agency also checked Wurzelbacher in its computer systems to determine whether he was receiving welfare assistance or owed unemployment compensation taxes, she wrote.
Jones-Kelley made the revelations in a letter to Ohio Senate President Bill M. Harris, R-Ashland, who demanded answers on why state officials checked out Wurzelbacher.
Harris called the multiple records checks “questionable” and said he awaits more answers. “It’s kind of like Big Brother is looking in your pocket,” he said.

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/30/ohio-official-admits-wurzelbacher-search-went-farther-than-she-first-stated/

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Methinks she's about to kiss that job of 13 years good-bye...... :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Methinks she's about to kiss that job of 13 years good-bye...... :uhsure:

Tomorrow would not be soon enough for me......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
She waits five days, she is in line for a promotion
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
As one poster at Hotair opined, "Looks like jackboots are in season..."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

She waits five days, she is in line for a promotion

Methinks I see a ceremonial sword on display here.  She shall be rewarded, one way or another.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Funny you put it that way, freedumb.  Back in the old Soviet Union, there was an expression for foreign service operators (read: spies).  They said that when you came home you kissed a medal or a bullet--either way, you kissed lead.

Oh, the similarities one could draw between Obama and the Soviets, and not just in political philosophies, but in methodology as well.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

buried in the penultimate paragraph of the columbus dispatch story.

Jones-Kelly also has denied any connections between the computer checks on Wurzelbacher and her support for Obama. She donated the maximum $2,500 this year to the Obama campaign.

yeah.  right.  :thatsright:

at the risk of offending our worthy forum members from ohio, that is one MESSED up state.

Offline jinxmchue

A little taste of the U.S. under Obama if he wins.  Speak out against Obama?  Find your every orifice searched and scrutinized.

And who really believes this one little peon is the end all and be all of this?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
A little taste of the U.S. under Obama if he wins.  Speak out against Obama?  Find your every orifice searched and scrutinized.

And who really believes this one little peon is the end all and be all of this?

We all will fall under the Obamassiah's scrutiny if we speak out against him or his minions.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

an anecdotal factoid from ohio.  I work with a guy from ashland county, ohio.  his folks get polled multiple times a night, by the way.  he noticed on CNN that they had ashland county "flipping democrat".  in 2004, bush took that county 65% (16,209) - 34% (8,576).

one of two things is going on.  either the national media are spectacularly f_cked in the head, or the republicans are about to get blown out on a galactic scale.

edited to correct stupid number transposition error.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:06:13 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Chris_

an anecdotal factoid from ohio.  I work with a guy from ashland county, ohio.  his folks get polled multiple times a night, by the way.  he noticed on CNN that they had ashland county "flipping democrat".  in 2004, bush took that county 65% (16,209) - 43% (8,576).

one of two things is going on.  either the national media are spectacularly f_cked in the head, or the republicans are about to get blown out on a galactic scale.

No wonder we're ****ed this year.  The democrats see Bush won that county with 108% of the registered voters counted, now they want to replicate that with 105% victories for Teh Obamessiah.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
She'll head up the new joint Dept of Justice/FCC operation known as The Ministry of Truth.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Wretched Excess

No wonder we're ****ed this year.  The democrats see Bush won that county with 108% of the registered voters counted, now they want to replicate that with 105% victories for Teh Obamessiah.

I corrected my post incorrectly, so now I have to correct my correction.  it was 65-34.  here is the link in case I f_ck it up again.:doh:

Offline Chris_

I corrected my post incorrectly, so now I have to correct my correction.  it was 65-34.  here is the link in case I f_ck it up again.:doh:

Just remember, WE.  The WEekend is almost here.   :cheersmate:

Offline Wretched Excess

Just remember, WE.  The WEekend is almost here.   :cheersmate:

exactly.  my miller lite levels are dangerously low. :uhsure:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Ohio official admits Wurzelbacher search went farther than she first stated
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 03:41:41 AM »
An update...

Vanessa Niekamp said that when was asked to run a child-support check on Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher on Oct. 16, she thought it routine. A supervisor told her the man had contacted the state agency about his case.

Niekamp didn't know she just had checked on "Joe the Plumber," who was elevated the night before to presidential politics prominence as Republican John McCain's example in a debate of an average American.

The senior manager would not learn about "Joe" for another week, when she said her boss informed her and directed her to write an e-mail stating her computer check was a legitimate inquiry.

The reason Niekamp said she was given for checking if there was a child-support case on Wurzelbacher does not match the reason given by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/10/31/joe.html?sid=101
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 03:46:30 AM »
An update...

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/10/31/joe.html?sid=101
I do hope someone gets punished for this, it is an outrage. It is the sort of think that the Labour government here has done. (I remember a 90 year old woman was smeared by a govt. Minister as a racist for daring to complain about the Health Service).  If Obama wins he will make Watergate look like a party game.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 03:54:20 AM »
I do hope someone gets punished for this, it is an outrage. It is the sort of think that the Labour government here has done. (I remember a 90 year old woman was smeared by a govt. Minister as a racist for daring to complain about the Health Service).  If Obama wins he will make Watergate look like a party game.

It makes Clinton's IRS audits look quaint by comparison.  What's the tally on the number of state entities snooping into this guy's personal life?  Three?  Four?

I remember all the "invasion of privacy" cries from the left when it came to FISA.  I guess they're only concerned about rights when it comes to terrorists and murderers.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
An update...

Jones-Kelley put on administrative leave by governor
Helen Jones-Kelley, director of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services and former head of that department in Montgomery County, has been placed on paid administrative leave by Gov. Ted Strickland.

Strickland said on Friday, Nov. 7, that he took the action “due to the possibility, as yet unconfirmed, that a state computer or state e-mail account was used to assist in political fund raising.”

“I have asked Inspector General Tom Charles to include this matter in his current, ongoing investigation,” Strickland said in a press release.

Strickland said he has asked Jan Allen, his cabinet secretary, to serve as acting director of the agency.

Charles already was investigating reports that a department computer was used to gather personal information about “Joe the Plumber” — Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher of suburban Toledo — after Wurzelbacher emerged as a key figure in the presidential race in Ohio. The information included whether he owed child support, which he said he didn’t.