Author Topic: 2008 WORLD CHAMPS  (Read 11719 times)

Offline lars1701c

Re: 2008 WORLD CHAMPS
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
Ah.

THAT is Phillie I expected...

By and large there were no problems but you get a number of dirt bags at any type of gathering. Hell well the Red sucks won they had far worse problems.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:14 PM »
How can pointing out how tiny the markets were be raining on any one's parade?

Please Philly is by no means a "tiny" market. I will agree Tampa is one but again we are in the top 5 markets in the country. Our fans at least follow our team bad years and good hell LA could not support a NFL franchise lol and they are the top market in the country.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 11:18:21 PM »
Please Philly is by no means a "tiny" market. I will agree Tampa is one but again we are in the top 5 markets in the country. Our fans at least follow our team bad years and good hell LA could not support a NFL franchise lol and they are the top market in the country.

1.5 million makes it a large market?  Come freaking on!  We have 'burbs bigger than that.

As far as the NFL goes, L.A. is the only city in the US that starts its negotiations with the NFL with "how much will YOU pay US to come here?"

The NFL has never known how to answer that question.  It cost Houston 2 BILLION taxpayer dollar to get a team.  Here in L.A., we have othetr things to do.  We don't live for our sports teams.

Los Angeles has the most devastating fans of all: If you don't win, WE DON'T CARE.  We just do something else.

A handful of LLTE at the LAT and that is about it.  Having lived in places where they DO care (Pittsburgh, KC, Seattle), it always cracks me up how much money and angst they will pony up.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »
1.5 million makes it a large market?  Come freaking on!  We have 'burbs bigger than that.

As far as the NFL goes, L.A. is the only city in the US that starts its negotiations with the NFL with "how much will YOU pay US to come here?"

The NFL has never known how to answer that question.  It cost Houston 2 BILLION taxpayer dollar to get a team.  Here in L.A., we have othetr things to do.  We don't live for our sports teams.

Los Angeles has the most devastating fans of all: If you don't win, WE DON'T CARE.  We just do something else.

A handful of LLTE at the LAT and that is about it.  Having lived in places where they DO care (Pittsburgh, KC, Seattle), it always cracks me up how much money and angst they will pony up.

BWHAHAAHA ya they dont care if THEY WIN OR NOT, yes you have suburbs larger but illegals don't count. :)

Well you had a team at least two from last count and they paid you shit and left your sorry ass for greener pastures, hell if fag town can keep a team why cant you?  Its not about how much NFL can pay LA its they DONT HAVE FAN SUPPORT, WIN OR LOSE.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »

BWHAHAAHA ya they dont care if THEY WIN OR NOT, yes you have suburbs larger but illegals don't count. :)

Well you had a team at least two from last count and they paid you shit and left your sorry ass for greener pastures, hell if fag town can keep a team why cant you?  Its not about how much NFL can pay LA its they DONT HAVE FAN SUPPORT, WIN OR LOSE.

The results are in -- the WS got a 8 share, making it the lowest WS viewership ever.  By contrast, the last time the Phillies were in it, it got a 30 share.

No one gave a shit, just as I said.  And I will lay very strong odds MLB will try to make sure this doesn't happen again.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
The results are in -- the WS got a 8 share, making it the lowest WS viewership ever.  By contrast, the last time the Phillies were in it, it got a 30 share.

No one gave a shit, just as I said.  And I will lay very strong odds MLB will try to make sure this doesn't happen again.

If you don't care then why are you arguing over TV viewership?  Don't you have election stuff to go talk about?

I guess in order to make sure enough people "care," MLB should just do away with the current playoff format where the winning team advances.  Instead, WS matchups will be deterimined the same way HOF'ers are, the sports media will pick them.  That should eliminate the whole "your market isn't big enough" argument.   ::)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:59:51 PM by Red October »

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
By and large there were no problems but you get a number of dirt bags at any type of gathering. Hell well the Red sucks won they had far worse problems.

Philly's the only place in America where any incident ever occurs, didn't you hear?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
If you don't care then why are you arguing over TV viewership?  Don't you have election stuff to go talk about?

I guess in order to make sure enough people "care," MLB should just do away with the current playoff format where the winning team advances.  Instead, WS matchups will be deterimined the same way HOF'ers are, the sports media will pick them.  That should eliminate the whole "your market isn't big enough" argument.   ::)

I don't know what they will do.  It will be interesting to watch. 

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »
An explosion of joy for team, city, region
By Phil Sheridan
Inquirer Sports Columnist

[excerpt]

It is part of the job, rushing from press boxes to the fields and clubhouses where professional athletes celebrate championships like so many unsupervised preschoolers.

For years upon years, those celebrations have featured players from Other Places. From Los Angeles and Boston, from New York and Chicago. A writer from a Philadelphia paper could only look around, take it in, and try to imagine what it might be like here, in his hometown, with his own family and friends hoarse from screaming in joy.

And then it was 10 p.m. Wednesday. The champagne bottles were in the hands of the Philadelphia Phillies. The big television platform supported the weight of Dave Montgomery and Pat Gillick and Charlie Manuel, then Jimmy Rollins and Brad Lidge and Pat Burrell and Ryan Howard.

And all those years of covering the winners from Other Places were of no use at all. After 45 years in Philadelphia, 23 of them writing about sports for newspapers, I had no idea what to do with myself after Lidge struck out Eric Hinske. Oh, a column got written somehow, but that was later, up in the press box. I'm talking about the half-hour or so on the field and in the clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park.

Interviewing people seemed absurd. What do you ask Rollins or Jamie Moyer or Carlos Ruiz? "How do you feel?" The answer is in their eyes and their smiles, not in any words. It seemed very important somehow just to take it all in, to see it and remember it and try to share what it was like.

There was a police officer standing along the warning track near the Phillies' dugout. Fans were throwing him things - towels, paper, whatever - and he was scooping up just a bit of the dirt and throwing the souvenirs back. It was one of the most beautiful things you could see.

But it wasn't as beautiful as 3-year-old Avery. She was riding high in her father's arms, her teeth chattering in the chill night, her smile almost too big for her face. Then she turned around and gave her daddy two tiny thumbs up, a gesture the entire city of Philadelphia would have loved to give him just then.

And her daddy, Bradley Thomas Lidge, lit up with a whole new kind of happiness. Minutes earlier, he had been at the bottom of a pile of Phillies, celebrating in front of the world. Now, with his family gathering around him, it was sinking in. His life won't be the same anymore. He's now the man who got the final out of the 2008 World Series.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20081031_Phil_Sheridan__An_explosion_of_joy_for_team__city__region.html

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »

Only 3 cities in America have populations bigger than 2 million.  So yes, we're the in the country's top 5 sports markets. 

As far as the ratings go... of course it's gonna decline.  The World Series is never going to command the same attention it did fourty years ago.  Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, the average man didn't have 600 channels to choose from like he does now.  The Red Sox gave the Series a bump, and if the Cubs make it some time this century you'll have another bump, making the next year look "small" by comparison.  That's just the way it is. 

But the fans of the teams still care.  We've waited 30 years and now it's finally here.  I don't care who else cares.  Shit, I didn't care when the Cardinals won.  I didn't care when the Dodgers won... when was that, again? :tongue:  So there. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:36:25 PM by Red October »

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »

Well I can blame that on mostly on tampa and the way MLB handled the rain delay.

MLB can try whatever they want, the phillies are here for some time maybe they should have cheated and let LA or RS but in the end the best team won. Who knows? maybe the dodgers can pick up some cast off from another team and might make a better showing then what they did in the NLCS.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »
Only 3 cities in America have populations bigger than 2 million.  So yes, we're the in the country's top 5 sports markets. 

As far as the ratings go... of course it's gonna decline.  The World Series is never going to command the same attention it did fourty years ago.  Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, the average man didn't have 600 channels to choose from like he does now.  The Red Sox gave the Series a bump, and if the Cubs make it some time this century you'll have another bump, making the next year look "small" by comparison.  That's just the way it is. 

But the fans of the teams still care.  We've waited 30 years and now it's finally here.  I don't care who else cares.  Shit, I didn't care when the Cardinals won.  I didn't care when the Dodgers won... when was that, again? :tongue:  So there. 

He is just sore the Da bums lost :)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »

Just because the CITY might not be over 2 million doesn't mean they're not a much bigger market.

Let's list the 10 largest cities by population:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Houston
Phoenix (yes, Phoenix)
Philadelphia
San Antonio
San Diego
Dallas
San Jose

Now, for instance the Red Sox or Patriots.  Boston only has a population of 600K--23rd according to the 2000 census.  But the fan base from which those teams draw covers SIX STATES--MA, NH, VT, RI, ME, and CT, not to mention the transplants, etc.

One can make a similar claim for the Dallas Cowboys--again, a "smaller" market team with wide national/regional appeal.

If we went solely by city population, why aren't the Cardinals and Diamondbacks more popular than the Eagles and Phillies?

Would you consider LA a "Top 5" sports market when they don't have an NFL franchise?  Is Houston a "Top 5" market?

This is almost a discussion for another topic.  Lemme start that one.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 10:05:06 AM »
Correction - Red Sox Nation pretty much covers the United States.  Look to ticket sales for teams who play the Sox and the Yankees.   They put fans in their seats.     

I think the biggest markets are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Braves, Angels, Mets,  Phils.....   they spend money and make money -- lots and lots of money.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »

It's that East coast bias thing..........

The Phils have a huge market, they spend money, they have Howard.   They won their local area ratings, and probably the East Coast. 

The West coast is full of self-absorbed fair weather fans.   What the hell do you expect for stadiums that serve sushi and green tea?     

Congrats little bro.  I know the die hard fan you are -- you totally deserve this.   Since the Pats are hurt you may sneak in a Superbowl ring too!    :cheersmate:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »
Let the record reflect I've NEVER seen sushi or green tea at a CA baseball stadium.

Fish tacos, yes.  Sushi, no.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »
Let the record reflect I've NEVER seen sushi or green tea at a CA baseball stadium.

Fish tacos, yes.  Sushi, no.

Sushi in both Anaheim and Dodger Stadium.

Green tea?  Dunno.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
Sushi in both Anaheim and Dodger Stadium.

Green tea?  Dunno.

Angel Stadium?  Maybe in the Diamond Club or Knothole Club, not where I sit.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »
Angel Stadium?  Maybe in the Diamond Club or Knothole Club, not where I sit.
It is in those little out of the way places -- I usually take a few "laps" around the stadia just to see what has changed.  You should be amazed at what they sell...

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
It is in those little out of the way places -- I usually take a few "laps" around the stadia just to see what has changed.  You should be amazed at what they sell...

I'm not.  Typical ballpark food, most of it.  Like I said, I ate in the Knothole Club and Diamond Club once each in 10 years of going there regularly.

I'm still big on the BBQ over on the 3rd base side and the occasional hot dog.  Other than that, meh.  I usually brought my own peanuts and stuff in anyway.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
congrats lars...

good for the phillies...they were damn good ...

why is it yankee's are kicking the crap out of everything southern  lately??

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
congrats lars...

A lone silver lining as of late :)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
congrats lars...

Don't count the fuhrer as one of ours.  He is a creation of the Chicago thug machine.