Author Topic: 2008 WORLD CHAMPS  (Read 11653 times)

Offline lars1701c

2008 WORLD CHAMPS
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »
WOOT :bow: :bow:

Congrats to the PHILLIES   :cheersmate:

Could not happen to a nicer, classy team.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 2008 WORLD CHAMPS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »
MLB will be licking its wounds for quite some time.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
MLB will be licking its wounds for quite some time.

Stop being a sore loser, just because Da bums didnt make it don't mean you have to be a douche (I know its hard for you not to be one)
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
At least the Choke Sox lived up to a long tradition or failure broken only briefly by a string of ultra rare success.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »

Stop being a sore loser, just because Da bums didnt make it don't mean you have to be a douche (I know its hard for you not to be one)

I think it is great the Flyers won -- and I am sure the Buccaneers' fans are giving them their props. 

Really.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
I think it is great the Flyers won -- and I am sure the Buccaneers' fans are giving them their props. 

Really.

Pfft at least we didnt need a cast off from the spankees and Red sucks to get to the playoffs

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:50:44 PM »
Pfft at least we didnt need a cast off from the spankees and Red sucks to get to the playoffs

Agreed: Any end year that keeps NY and Boston out is a good year, no matter how tiny the TV market.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »
Agreed: Any end year that keeps NY and Boston out is a good year, no matter how tiny the TV market.

Would have loved to see the phills beat the Red Sucks but meh, but there wont be a * next to our name cause we didnt play a big market team.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »

Would have loved to see the phills beat the Red Sucks but meh, but there wont be a * next to our name cause we didnt play a big market team.

If the big market teams can't win, then screw 'em.

But watch what MLB does next year. I don't what they will do, but they won't allow this to happen again, trust me.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »
If the big market teams can't win, then screw 'em.

But watch what MLB does next year. I don't what they will do, but they won't allow this to happen again, trust me.

I will agree that TB is a small market team but philly is a top 5 market one.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:56 PM »
I will agree that TB is a small market team but philly is a top 5 market one.

Not really -- it is a pretty small city and no one outside its confines cares about its teams.  It doesn't even generate hate like NY and LA do.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:08:43 AM »
Congrats Phils fans on your win.   The Rays embarrased the AL with their performance at the dance, which I attribute to their manager more than anything else. 

That said, did I hear the owner last night correctly when he stated there was 44K out of 45K fans in attendance at the game?   It wasn't sold out?   If that is the case then bow your heads in shame.    :hammer:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »

:yawn:

Uh-huh.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
Congrats Phils fans on your win.   The Rays embarrased the AL with their performance at the dance, which I attribute to their manager more than anything else. 

That said, did I hear the owner last night correctly when he stated there was 44K out of 45K fans in attendance at the game?   It wasn't sold out?   If that is the case then bow your heads in shame.    :hammer:

Think Fresno, then re-ask the question.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »

You must have heard wrong, that place was packed.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »
:yawn:

Uh-huh.   

You and Freedouche are just jealous, raining on my parade. The Red sucks rein is over back to mediocrity you go.  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »

You and Freedouche are just jealous, raining on my parade. The Red sucks rein is over back to mediocrity you go.  :-)

How can pointing out how tiny the markets were be raining on any one's parade?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
Check out some Pics of what happened in Philly after the win.  The page has been Farked this morning, so you may have to try later.

This could be a preview to November 5th.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
While the end result might well have been the same, I'm pissed at how Bud Selig handled this.  Of all the ways to finish Game 5, this was the worst for both teams, and the worst for baseball.  This mouth-breather has got to be the worst commissioner of MLB ever, period.

But at the end of the day, props to the Phillies for getting it done.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
The wait is over!!  We finally did it!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:cheersmate:  Paaaaaaaaarty time! 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:48:36 AM by Red October »

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »
I thought Utley deserved the MVP. That defensive play alone last night (the fake throw to first and the throw home) prolly saved the series for the Phils.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »

Those 45,000 had to show up twice for the same game.  It was an excellent showing, no shame in it at all.   Now scooch over a bit and make some room at the Champions' Table, sis.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:56:57 AM by Red October »

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 11:52:20 AM »
I thought Utley deserved the MVP. That defensive play alone last night (the fake throw to first and the throw home) prolly saved the series for the Phils.

You can't beat his smarts, that's for sure.

I loved Hamels' dig at Selig at the trophy presentation, tho. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:09:25 PM by Red October »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
Check out some Pics of what happened in Philly after the win.  The page has been Farked this morning, so you may have to try later.

This could be a preview to November 5th.

Ah.

THAT is Phillie I expected...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
Congrats to the Phill(th)y fans.   :tongue:

Seriously, if my team had a bullpen, . . . The Phillies did, and that's a big reason why they came out on top.  And, don't think that the Rays were a flash-in-the-pan.  They're going to give the Hankenstein nightmares over the next few years.

But, there's always next year.  Hopefully, Dan Murphy heals his forearm (spiked in a double-play turn in the Arizona Fall League) quickly (at least quick enough to play in the winter leagues in Puerto Rico), and Eddie Kunz reclaims his sinker.  Ollie Perez is gone, AFAIC, with the Bora$$hole as his agent.  (The Bronx for Ollie?  It could happen.)  Pedro could wind up in . . . Washington, or St. Louis.

Supposedly, Jimmy Rollins said (a bit ago) that it's a foregone conclusion that CC Sabathia will be a Yankee next year.  (Rollins is said to be one of Sabathia's best friends.)

Rollins backed up his talk.  That's something that Mets fans respect.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.