Author Topic: Mouse issues  (Read 13288 times)

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Mouse issues
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
Had to get an old mouse out of the basement a couple days ago because my mouse I was using is acting up big time. Every ten minutes or so, it looks like it has a mind of it's own, clicking everywhere on my desktop and all that. Does that mean it's really time to replace the mouse or could it be a virus or what?

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Mouse issues
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
Had to get an old mouse out of the basement a couple days ago because my mouse I was using is acting up big time. Every ten minutes or so, it looks like it has a mind of it's own, clicking everywhere on my desktop and all that. Does that mean it's really time to replace the mouse or could it be a virus or what?

Occam's Razor -- probably the mouse.  Is it ps/2 or usb?  But if it is a laptop, check to make sure the touchpad isn't interfering.  I had an older laptop where I had to completely disable the touchpad when I used a USB mouse.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
It's quite possibly the mouse ; I'd suggest one of two options

1) Pull it apart clean the insides and check the sensor wheels inside are clean and in good condition.

2) Apply some percussive maintenance, and should that fail go and get a new one (it was broken anyway  :-) )

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:29:35 PM »
1) Pull it apart clean the insides and check the sensor wheels inside are clean and in good condition.

you mean he needs to clean the mouse's ball???????? :-)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
woe be unto those that don't run a good anti-virus. plenty of free ones out there. My favorite free one is AVG. download it at http://free.grisoft.com
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:45:34 AM »

Oh yes.

I used to replace computer mice all the time, those 59-cent used ones gotten in thrift stores.

About three years ago, I finally figured it out, when I took one apart.

I don't know about anybody else, but the mouse here gets clogged, utterly clogged, with cat hair.

I really wish they wouldn't do it, but the cats here like to hang on to me, even though they've got this great big house and much of a great big outdoors, to hang around.

Anyway, I still have the same mouse I had that one time, three years ago; all it takes is opening it up and cleaning it out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

Oh yes.

I used to replace computer mice all the time, those 59-cent used ones gotten in thrift stores.

About three years ago, I finally figured it out, when I took one apart.

I don't know about anybody else, but the mouse here gets clogged, utterly clogged, with cat hair.

I really wish they wouldn't do it, but the cats here like to hang on to me, even though they've got this great big house and much of a great big outdoors, to hang around.

Anyway, I still have the same mouse I had that one time, three years ago; all it takes is opening it up and cleaning it out.

Thats why I use optic mice now.  No cleaning required.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
My cats take care of any mouse issues I have.

:rimshot:

What?

:beathorse:
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »
Trackball, nuff said

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
Trackball, nuff said

My mom used a track ball -- I could never adapt to it.  Just like those commie "bent" ergonomic keyboards.  When I was in the field (in the very early days of LANs and PCs) and needed to hop on to a user workstation and they had one of those things, I just told them I couldn't help them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »
They take about an hour to get used to and they don't bite so there's nothing to be afraid of. Not having to ever chase a rodent around the desktop is a blessing. I hate mice. I was an early adopter of touchpads when they first appeared. I like them on laptops and won't have anything but a good trackball on the desk. Quality does count.

{ETA} This is a cool little best of all worlds.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:11:12 PM by Randy »

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
In my experience those trackballs get clogged with filth faster and easier than the old fashioned ball mice.  The oils from the finger and a little bit of dust from the air and it quickly gunks up.

I got one of those 2000dpi "laser" mice just the other day.

Very nice.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »
Got rid of my trackball mouse last week, and got a nice ergonomic Logitech mouse. Problem is, all the damn buttons on it. I'm used to two or three on it... not 6.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline megimoo

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »

Get rid of the old style track ball mouse and beg/borrow/buy a laser mouse without a ball,Never needs cleaning !

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »

Get rid of the old style track ball mouse and beg/borrow/buy a laser mouse without a ball,Never needs cleaning !
Opti mice cost between 7 and 12 bucks.