Author Topic: You won't read this, but you should  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
You won't read this, but you should
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »
Kpete is truly an amazing primitive in thoughts  :lmao:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2773488

You won't read this, but you should
by clammyc
Sun Jan 27, 2008 at 08:29:34 AM PST

Since nothing that is about anything other than what Clinton or Obama said or didn’t say, or why John Edwards HAS to stay in/drop out of the Presidential race gets read around here, and since the corporate media is more concerned with Britney or American Idol or what Clinton or Obama said or didn’t say, or why Mitt’s hair is just sooooooo perfect, other major events have gone completely unnoticed.

And you would think that nobody seems to care that we are still engaging in a failed occupation in Iraq, or that the already worsening situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan is getting worse. Despite what was drummed into our heads, al Qaeda and the Taliban are not watching with baited breath to see which Democratic candidate will enable them to move forward with their plan to attack us - those plans are already well underway, thanks to Bush and the republican party’s enabling of him to neglect the region.

From today’s Boston Globe:

Sometime in mid-December, as the winter winds howled across the snow-dusted hills of Pakistan's inhospitable border regions, 40 men representing Taliban groups all across Pakistan's northwest frontier came together to unify under a single banner and to choose a leader.

The banner was Tehrik-e- Taliban Pakistan, or the Taliban Movement of Pakistan, with a fighting force estimated at up to 40,000. And the leader was Baitullah Mehsud, the man Pakistan accuses of assassinating former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

The move is an attempt to present a united front against the Pakistani Army, which has been fighting insurgents along the border with Afghanistan. It is also the latest sign of the rise of Mehsud, considered the deadliest of the Taliban mullahs or clerics in northwest Pakistan. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2... /

So while everyone over here in the US is laser focused on "he said/she said" and whatever other distractions we are being forced to swallow (or ignore), there is now a coordinated and organized Taliban and al Qaeda working together even closer than they have in years. With little to no pushback. With more money and freedom to operate. Resulting in more violence, more damage and more threats. In one country that we have largely ignored and another that we paid lip service to while leaving too soon for a folly in another country that we are still in five years later - with no real plan to help the people of or deal with the resurgent terrorism and civil war in any of the three countries.

much more here:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/1/27/11276/9684/...

Gonnabuymeagun (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-27-08 11:57 AM
Response to Original message
1. and with any luck those plans will come to fruition under a democrat
 if you know what I mean.

No I don't know what you mean............

mike_c  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jan-27-08 12:02 PM
2. OH NOOO-- it's the terrorists....
 People act as though the taliban were some implacable evil force coming out of nowhere. Radical, militant islamic forces like the taliban and al-Qaeda are responses to conditions and events in the world. The U.S. and some of its allies have done much to create those conditions and to foster the development of militant discontent. Yes, an organized taliban is a threat to U.S. interests in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but only because U.S. interests are diametrically opposed to the interests of a great many Waziri in the region, and to those of their Pashtun brethren in Afghanistan.

This is all the result of U.S. imperialism. We have no business being their enemy in western Pakistan or in Afghanistan. None. So our attempts to politically and militarily dominate their homeland, and our patronage of their home grown enemies, creates their reason for being and makes them powerful. They derive their legitimacy, at least partly, from our imperialist misdeeds.

It's time to stop being an imperialist power.

Oh give me a break, the bug man is now a statesman.... :hammer:

Hydra (1000+ posts)       Sun Jan-27-08 12:08 PM
4. Don't make me laugh
 Musharraf is using them as a scapegoat for his assassination of Bhutto, and as an excuse to let his army do a little purging in the area with the help of US troops. Rovian tactics 101- make a mountain out of a molehill, and then claim that the problem was bigger than we thought and requires more sacrifice of money or principles...and still don't get rid of the molehill.

Our only objective in those countries is to keep our foothold secure(which we are doing admirably), attempt to look like peacekeepers rather than occupiers and wait for the proper time to strike Iran.

Once we have all the oil sewn up, we can get around to killing all of those brown people. The UN might even allow us to if we give them a good enough excuse.

Oh FFS...................when again are we attacking Iran???

acmavm  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-27-08 12:09 PM
5. I don't know about everyone here but I do know a LOT of us are following
 every move made in Pakistan these days. Forget Iraq, it is the most dangerous situation for the US on this planet today. And it is lose/lose. We can't win. We go in and the country goes up in flames. We hesitate and the country eventually is taken over by the crazy fundies (their variety, not ours).

Now or later. Those are the choices.

Actually some sense of rational thought........yet still a moonbat

Hydra (1000+ posts)       Sun Jan-27-08 01:03 PM
Response to Reply #5
8. We're already THERE
 Musharraf is our new Saddam type pet. US troops are already "intervening" despite Musharraf claiming that the US was not welcome there.

Waste your energy more on worrying what Bushco is cooking up next. Whatever they come up with, it's usually expensive, bloody and unnecessary.

President Bush is leaving the White House in less than a year, quit focusing your anger towards.........nevermind, please continue focusing on Bush.

gateley  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-27-08 12:09 PM
6. Listen, this is honestly not a pro-Biden post, but
 as we all know he's been talking about Pakistan for a long time. The admin has been ignoring him. He (Biden) also said that if this movement grows, Pakistan will be a tinder box for at least a decade. Of course he said this months ago.

What needs to happen is for the admin to call on Biden and others who have an understanding of the situation and work together to address this issue.

The problem is, this admin doesn't listen to anyone outside it's group of like-minded psychopaths.

That this situation has been allowed to escalate to this point is unbelievable.

Bush's War on Terror has done nothing but enable such dissent and groups to spread like wildfire.

I don't know what we can do, and I agree that the focus here on he said/she said to the near exclusion of anything else is almost as frightening as witnessing the Americans who "just don't get it" regarding what we're being faced with.

I guess my point in posting is that there HAVE been voices of reason in Washington so there is hope that some of these voices may yet still prevail.
I ain't waiting up nights, though.

Oh I give up..................
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: You won't read this, but you should
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 02:55:04 PM »
Let's hold hands and sing "Give Peace a Chance."

The libtard meme that our conduct in the world results in additional enemies is vacuous and dangerous.

Our enemies hate us because we won't worship their pig god and his evil minion muhamed. We are everything they can never be.  Of course they hate us.  What we do and with whom would change things not a whit.

Had a democrat been President on 9/11 we would all today be praying to mecca 5 times a day.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.