Author Topic: Counter-protesters silence demonstrators (at funeral of soldier killed in Iraq)  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Counter-protesters silence demonstrators (at funeral of soldier killed in Iraq)
   Edited on Sun Jan-27-08 02:36 AM by ursi
Source: Reno Gazette Journal

About 150 people, including Patriot Guard members and supporters, encircled a handful of protesters near a Reno memorial service Saturday for a soldier slain Jan. 9 in Iraq.

The Westboro Baptist Church based in Topeka, Kan., announced this past week it would protest the memorial service for Staff Sgt. Sean Gaul held at St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in south Reno. The group says its protests highlight that God is killing soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to punish America for condoning homosexuality.

Danielle Fargo, who lives in Damonte Ranch, came with her children to support Gaul’s family. She said there were eight Westboro protestors “in a little knot” by the side of the road when she arrived early Saturday. But as the number of counter-protestors grew to at least 200, the picketers dwindled to three men holding signs.

“We came here to support our troops and to stand up against the hate,” Fargo said. One of her children held a sign that said, “God is love.”
“We want to show people that god is love, not hate,” Fargo said.
Walking along South Virginia Street just north of Bishop Manogue High School, three church members held signs saying “God hates fags,” “Don’t waste your tears,” and “We need more dead soldiers.”

Photo:
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080126...

Read more: http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080126...

krispos42  (1000+ posts)         Sun Jan-27-08 03:08 AM
Response to Original message
3. I sincerely hope the Phelps people meet Jesus Soon and by means of a flaming bus wreck.

I want them to see the smile on Jesus' face as he pulls the lever for the trapdoor to Hell.
One day Phelps is going to wake up in his bedroom with a very angry Iraq vet holding a Ka-Bar to his throat.

Is that any way to think about your fellow democrat supporter? 

adsosletter  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 03:35 AM
4. How those Westboro people have avoided getting the snot beat out of them for this long is beyond me...I know, I know, they're a bunch of severely warped lawyers...but still...

And severely warped democrats too.  Don't forget the Phelps are lifelong democrats.  Left wing as they come.

mwb970  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 06:17 AM
Response to Reply #4
6. I was just thinking that. They "encircled" the protesters? How about "tarring and feathering" them? How about pushing them physically out of the area the way the body rejects disease-bearing germs?

This is yet another set of obnoxious right-wing louts who are allowed to get away with uncivil, un-American acts with no accountability and no pain. Kind of like the bush administration. They're asking for a punch in the nose, but nobody will give it to them!

This story doesn't have a "right-wing lout" in it.  It's about the very left-wing Fred Phelps and his democrat-loving "family".

The Wizard  (1000+ posts)         Sun Jan-27-08 07:06 AM
7. Nothing wrong with Phelps and his roving band of idiots that couldn't be cured with a good beating.
Methinks Westboro Baptist members doth protest too much and are probably sword swallowing fudge packers.

All of the sudden "fudge packing" is a bad thing?  I'll bet The Wizard (1000+ posts) gets protested.

xchrom  (1000+ posts)         Sun Jan-27-08 07:28 AM
Response to Reply #7
8. ok -- THAT was all wrong.

Fudge Packers with Pitchforks Unite!  Kill The Wizard!  Hang The Wizard!

Glorfindel  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 08:47 AM
Response to Reply #8
11. Yes, it was
Totally wrong and inappropriate. This stupid assumption that any evil person can be made even more evil by asserting that he or she is gay must end!

It will, Gorfindel, when homosexuals stop making themselves more evil.  Yes, indeed, it must end.  Practicing homosexuals must stop.

redwitch  (1000+ posts)         Sun Jan-27-08 09:40 AM
Response to Reply #7
13. Delete this post.   It is disgusting.

Funny how what is called "disgusting" at the DUmp never jives with what is considered "disgusting" by normal people.

NikolaC  (82 posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 07:43 AM
9. Good On The Counter Protesters
I seriously do not understand the hatred and sickness that compels these ****-nuts . I wonder how they are able to afford going from funeral to funeral all across the country. Who is sick and demented enough to fund their "protests"? I am sure that there is a very special place in hell for Phelps and his supporters .

How can they afford it?  They stopped donating all their money to Al Gore

Rebellious Republican (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 07:50 AM
10. Good for the Patriot Guard, despite my feelings about the war....
these people deserve honor, respect and to allow the families time to grieve the loss of their loved ones

Pigwidgeon (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 09:12 AM
12. Hands OFF Phelps!   
   Edited on Sun Jan-27-08 09:13 AM by Pigwidgeon
What do you want to do? Turn him into a martyr?

Hell, no!

Let the "reverend" and his slaves march around at funerals making a spectacle of themselves. The more, the better. Everyone in America will see this, and it will only strengthen the resolve of those of us fighting for human rights in all its forms.

Nothing kills germs like sunlight.

On Edit: Yes -- counter-demonstrations are excellent. But not violence or hatred. We can and should make a stand for humanity and against hatred.

--p!

Does this mean y'all are shutting down DemocratUnderground.com ??

ursi (1000+ posts)         Sun Jan-27-08 10:07 AM
Response to Reply #12
15. I feel the same way ...ignore the stupid hate feckers & let them make fools out of themselves ...but then I think of the grieving families and the soldier who died and ...I get really pissed.

It's a hard one.

I support the Patriot Guard.

And not your fellow democrat Fred Phelps?  Shocking!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3158309

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Amazing how they like the Patriot Guard now. All it took was Phelps wanting to protest Heath Ledger.

Then it's fun to sit there wishing harm on the people, yet that's not what happens..........Undies, I still don't think they have gotten the memo on them being democrats
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
NikolaC  (82 posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 07:43 AM
I seriously do not understand the hatred and sickness that compels these ****-nuts . I wonder how they are able to afford going from funeral to funeral all across the country. Who is sick and demented enough to fund their "protests"? I am sure that there is a very special place in hell for Phelps and his supporters .

LOL!

:-)

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Amazing how they like the Patriot Guard now. All it took was Phelps wanting to protest Heath Ledger.

Then it's fun to sit there wishing harm on the people, yet that's not what happens..........Undies, I still don't think they have gotten the memo on them being democrats

Wait until the DUmmies discover that the PGR folks are a bunch of FReepers.  :-)
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
WBC are true moonbats. In fact moonbat is a mild way to put it for them.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline lastparker

NikolaC  (82 posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 07:43 AM

LOL!

That's one of my favorite pictures!  I'm tempted to burn my mole and post it.

:-)

Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
God Bless the PGR and similar orgs.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Lord Undies

Quote from: lastparker
That's one of my favorite pictures!  I'm tempted to burn my mole and post it.

Don't bother.  They have seen it.  It's the "old testament" to them.

Offline HACKSAW

Wait until the DUmmies discover that the PGR folks are a bunch of FReepers.  :-)

Not just FReepers... But mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, Rethuglicans!

Ya notice how they had a different feelings towards the PGR when we teamed up with Gathering Of Eagles to counter protest them! If I remember correctly, they didn't particularly care for us then, but now we are the best thing since sliced bread.

Those troop hating DUmpmonkeys my like us now, but we sure as hell don't like them! Never have and never will!
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
No they didn't like it when the PGR teamed up (although unofficial) with the GOE

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.