Author Topic: Hillary=bigoted against autistics  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Hillary=bigoted against autistics
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Odin2005  (1000+ posts)       Fri Jan-04-08 10:22 PM
Original message
Hillary = bigoted against autistics. 
 http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt52924.html

Well lookie here, Senator Clinton apparently is close to an organization named Autism Speaks that most of us in the Autism Spectrum Disorder community (I have Asperger's Syndrome) consider to be promoting a demeaning view of us Autistics. Just another reason I will not vote for Hillary, I am a unique human being, I am not "broken," I do want want to be "cured." 

Odin2005  (1000+ posts)       Fri Jan-04-08 11:01 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. I have no respect for an organization that considers us "broken." 
 I want people to accept me for who I am, to respect cognitive diversity instead of wanting to use mental eugenics force us into a socially constructed box called "normal."

I imagine that parents of severely autistic children might have a slightly different view. I love how he looks for things to be offended about.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Hillary=bigoted against autistics
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
What Is Asperger Syndrome?

Asperger Syndrome or (Asperger's Disorder) is a neurobiological disorder named for a Viennese physician, Hans Asperger, who in 1944 published a paper which described a pattern of behaviors in several young boys who had normal intelligence and language development, but who also exhibited autistic-like behaviors and marked deficiencies in social and communication skills. In spite of the publication of his paper in the 1940's, it wasn't until 1994 that Asperger Syndrome was added to the DSM IV and only in the past few years has AS been recognized by professionals and parents.

Individuals with AS can exhibit a variety of characteristics and the disorder can range from mild to severe. Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see. It's important to remember that the person with AS perceives the world very differently. Therefore, many behaviors that seem odd or unusual are due to those neurological differences and not the result of intentional rudeness or bad behavior, and most certainly not the result of "improper parenting".

By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals (although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté, those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd and can easily become victims of teasing and bullying. While language development seems, on the surface, normal, individuals with AS often have deficits in pragmatics and prosody. Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich and some children sound like "little professors." However, persons with AS can be extremely literal and have difficulty using language in a social context.

At this time there is a great deal of debate as to exactly where AS fits. It is presently described as an autism spectrum disorder and Uta Frith, in her book AUTISM AND ASPERGER'S SYNDROME, described AS individuals as "having a dash of Autism". Some professionals feel that AS is the same as High Functioning Autism, while others feel that it is better described as a Nonverbal Learning Disability. AS shares many of the characteristics of PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder; Not otherwise specified), HFA, and NLD and because it was virtually unknown until a few years ago, many individuals either received an incorrect diagnosis or remained undiagnosed. For example, it is not at all uncommon for a child who was initially diagnosed with ADD or ADHD be re-diagnosed with AS. In addition, some individuals who were originally diagnosed with HFA or PDD-NOS are now being given the AS diagnosis and many individuals have a dual diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism.

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

Liberals have no ideas about how to improve society beyond making all of its abnormalities normal and its normalities a crime.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:23:58 AM »
Individuals with AS can exhibit a variety of characteristics and the disorder can range from mild to severe. Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see. It's important to remember that the person with AS perceives the world very differently. Therefore, many behaviors that seem odd or unusual are due to those neurological differences and not the result of intentional rudeness or bad behavior, and most certainly not the result of "improper parenting".

By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals (although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté, those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd and can easily become victims of teasing and bullying. While language development seems, on the surface, normal, individuals with AS often have deficits in pragmatics and prosody. Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich and some children sound like "little professors." However, persons with AS can be extremely literal and have difficulty using language in a social context.

I don`t want to risk demeaning what may be for all I know a real and serious problem for some,but this description of "Aspergers" doesn`t sound like much more then creating a medical/psychological condition to explain what amounts to the differences in personalities that makes us each unique.

It is this stuff that makes me fear socialized medicine and suspect it is why the DUmmies crave and are obssesed with it.
Another way for them to be lazy losers with a good sprinkling of victimhood to season the mix all at the expense of someone else.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
Odin2005  (1000+ posts)       Fri Jan-04-08 10:22 PM
Original message
Hillary = bigoted against autistics. 
 http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt52924.html

Well lookie here, Senator Clinton apparently is close to an organization named Autism Speaks that most of us in the Autism Spectrum Disorder community (I have Asperger's Syndrome) consider to be promoting a demeaning view of us Autistics. Just another reason I will not vote for Hillary, I am a unique human being, I am not "broken," I do want want to be "cured." 

Odin2005  (1000+ posts)       Fri Jan-04-08 11:01 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. I have no respect for an organization that considers us "broken." 
 I want people to accept me for who I am, to respect cognitive diversity instead of wanting to use mental eugenics force us into a socially constructed box called "normal."

I imagine that parents of severely autistic children might have a slightly different view. I love how he looks for things to be offended about.

I am the parent of just such a child. People like Odin I see as in the deepest of denial. Autism is not some personality quirk that makes someone eccentric, it is a neurological disorder that essentially has everything wired haphazardly. Autism causes considerable stress not only for the individual who has it, but the family. Marriages where there is an autistic child have an 86% divorce rate versus the 40-50 % for the general population. Families are generally isolated by the condition because of the nature of the behaviors and the unpredictability of behaviors. Either way, my son has to live in this world, in the state, and in this culture. It is essential I do whatever I can to help him adjust, just like I would with a normal child. I don't pretend he just has a quirk or that assistance is 'mental eugenics'. I give him alternative ways to communicate in THIS world. I like to see my child more as speaking a different language. I wouldn't send him to another country ill-equipped to deal with their native tongue, why, if I can make a difference, would I send my son out into the world ill-equipped to speak the 'language' of individuals who are neurotypical?

I wonder when Odin was diagnosed or if he was diagnosed at all. I see the prevalence of liberals(and assorted others) to assign themselves medical conditions in order to justify their lifestyle choices and behaviors.

Oh and as for Autism Speaks, from what i have seen their goal is to raise awareness because early intervention is found as the most effective means to helping a child with autism rewire as much as they can and adjust so they can function more typically. What he calls mental eugenics is a push to get children in when they are best able to be helped--infancy to age 5--this has a lot to do with verbal skill maturation and language acquisition during that time period, as well as the normal behavioral modification that goes on with any child so they dont behave like animals when they are adults. On that note, I wonder if Odin has ever considered we all go through a 'mental eugenics' of sorts when we are children. Our parents, if they do their job, mold our behavior so we become responsible and decent individuals...leaving a normal child to their proclivities offers pretty poor results as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:10:20 AM by jtyangel »