Author Topic: Chili  (Read 40301 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Chili
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »
beans in chili is for YANKEES !!!  :tongue: :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »
beans in chili is for YANKEES !!!  :tongue: :fuelfire:

Well, it does make for some resounding farts......

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2010, 07:56:42 AM »
It must have beans in it. :whistling:

We really need an "Oh no, you di'nt" smiley for comments like that..... :thatsright:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »
The chili is in the building...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
Another batch of deer chili is currently in the works.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
Another batch of deer chili is currently in the works.

Good stuff.    :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
Chili : with crackers or without?

I'll crunch ups some crackers in the bottom of the bowl if the chili is kind of thin.  I also like some shredded cheese, either sharp cheddar or peeper jack on top.

I like to smash up a lot of saltines and stir them in, I also like to have cold cottage cheese with but not in my chili.  The cold cottage cheese and hot chili is a really nice contrast, it's kind of like the flavor you get with sour cream but better IMO.

Offline Karin

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
A chili thread!   :panic:

This was recently mine, bitchslap at will.

Pound + a bit more ground beef
1 sirloin steak, cubed
One can pinto beans  :panic:
2 cans diced tomatoes, w/chiles
1 onion
tsp minced garlic
1 and a half envelopes McCormick chili seasoning

Brown the beef separately, including the onion and garlic in the browning.  Add everything to the crockpot, rinse out the cans with water (1/2 can).  Cook on low for 6 hours. 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »

1 sirloin steak, cubed
1 onion
tsp minced garlic

Brown the beef separately, including the onion and garlic in the browning.  Add everything to the crockpot, rinse out the cans with water (1/2 can).  Cook on low for 6 hours. 

Did you really have to go THERE???????? 

:rofl:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
I like to smash up a lot of saltines and stir them in, I also like to have cold cottage cheese with but not in my chili.  The cold cottage cheese and hot chili is a really nice contrast, it's kind of like the flavor you get with sour cream but better IMO.

You need to be bitchslapped!! Of course, if you ate GOOD chili, you wouldn't need to add in all of that crap!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

1 sirloin steak, cubed
1 onion
tsp minced garlic

BEANS ?!?!?!?!? Tomatoes ?!?!?!?!? WTF ?!?!?!?!? You need bitchslappin', too!!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karin

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2012, 10:48:17 AM »
If it doesn't have tomatoes, then what do you have?  Hot water with beef swimming around in it?  How do you get it thick otherwise?   Bitchslap all you want, my husband loved it.  Beans are good for you, too, so there.  :tongue:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
If it doesn't have tomatoes, then what do you have?  Hot water with beef swimming around in it? 
:rofl: :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
If it doesn't have tomatoes, then what do you have?  Hot water with beef swimming around in it?  How do you get it thick otherwise?   Bitchslap all you want, my husband loved it.  Beans are good for you, too, so there.  :tongue:

Hey! Have you been watching me in my hot tub?    :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »

Well, if you want a gravy surrounding your beef, that ain't chili. That's basically braised beef.

When I make chili, I cook it low and slow till the "juice" is mostly reduced. Between the chilis (yeah, you gotta have some of those in your chili, usually roasted on a fire, peeled, rough-chopped, and tossed in with the beef before the major cooking process), onions, and garlic, and the fact that most of your liquid has been reduced, you wind up with mostly.....

.....drum roll......

Chili!

(That's a euphemism for beef and stuff that makes it taste good, which doesn't include a lot of liquid.)

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Karin

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »

Hey! Have you been watching me in my hot tub?    :panic:

Why yes, yes I have.   :naughty:  You should prune your shrubbery. 

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
Why yes, yes I have.   :naughty:  You should prune your shrubbery

Ya, my wife gets lost in there sometimes........... :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OH!

MY!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OH!

MY!!

What? You should see our backyard.

:rofl:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »

Good stuff.    :cheersmate:

So what is real honest  to heavens real Chili ?? How the heck far back in time are you guys going??

Lets see, 100 years ago Chili was made with just beef or any kind of meat from Lizard to dog,  water  hot peppers and some kind of corn meal.

After WW1 the Gringos on the border added tomatoes and beans.  Spices as to garlic and what not.  The original Chili had changed and continued to change as time went on.

The Veterans that returned north of the border from the war all had their own ideas about Chili.   What started out as meat, water, hot peppers  and corn meal, was now to go through the Nation in all different forms.

Chili in the north was different from chili in the west or south, 100 years in the making and now the food is regional, to bean or not to bean,   What ever all tastes good, the original Chili of meat water hot peppers and corn meal is fortunately not an option for us today.

Yankees want beans, Texans hate beans,  rest of the Nation are to bean or not to bean.  That is the question.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
I don't hate beans, they just have their place.  Not in chili.  Never.  Ever.

Offline debk

« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »

I do hate beans.

They have no place.

Not in chili.

Not in anything else either.

:-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »
You need to be bitchslapped!! Of course, if you ate GOOD chili, you wouldn't need to add in all of that crap!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I eat a lot of cottage cheese, I love the stuff and it is excellent with chili I tells ya!

Offline Karin

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
I just found this at the DUmp:

The “official” first family recipe features ground turkey or beef, ground turmeric among the spices, and a healthy dose of red wine vinegar.

read: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/03/obama-family-chili-recipe-on-new-pinterest-page/

YUCK  Ground turmeric?  Tastes like aluminum.  What's with the vinegar? 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2012, 01:18:04 AM »
Well, if you want a gravy surrounding your beef, that ain't chili. That's basically braised beef.

When I make chili, I cook it low and slow till the "juice" is mostly reduced. Between the chilis (yeah, you gotta have some of those in your chili, usually roasted on a fire, peeled, rough-chopped, and tossed in with the beef before the major cooking process), onions, and garlic, and the fact that most of your liquid has been reduced, you wind up with mostly.....

.....drum roll......

Chili!

(That's a euphemism for beef and stuff that makes it taste good, which doesn't include a lot of liquid.)

I use just plain chili powder. I MAY add in extra chilis, depending on the crowd.

I do hate beans.

They have no place.

Not in chili.

Not in anything else either.

:-)

AMEN, you two!!!!   :-)  Frijoles can be served as a side dish or if one is feeding damned Yankees......