Author Topic: "Obama's Fancy Snack" (NY Post)  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

"Obama's Fancy Snack" (NY Post)
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »
For the record, the McCains purportedly had barbeque:

THOUGH he's battling GOP accusations that he's an Ivy League elitist, Barack Obama has a lifestyle of the rich and famous, like TV show host Robin Leach, who always signed off, "Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!" While he was at a meeting at the Waldorf-Astoria at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Michelle Obama called room service and ordered lobster hors d'oeuvres, two whole steamed lobsters, Iranian caviar and champagne, a tipster told Page Six.

LINK

This IS significant, since it's one of their very rare unscripted moments that can tell a lot about their real character and core personality. Apparently, Barack Hussein Obama and his wife can't be expected to dine like Joe the Plumber.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: "Obama's Fancy Snack" (NY Post)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering, yes, it's hotel food (read: overpriced) and since it's the Waldorf-Astoria, it's REALLY overpriced.

Here's a glimpse of the Room Serivce menu for breakfast.  Having traveled a bit (though obviously not as much as Wretched Excess) it takes a bit to surprise me vis-a-vis prices, but this?  DAYUMMMMM!

$31?  For TWO eggs?  Boys and girls, I can get that at my local diner for under five bucks.  Including juice and coffee.

Now keep in mind, having dined in NYC as well, lobster ain't cheap, to say the least.  Your average 2-3 lb lobster at a nice place will set you back roughly $50 a pound or more.  Given the fact we're now having room service, jack that price up by around another 50 percent.  And she had TWO.  PLUS appetizers.  PLUS champagne.  PLUS caviar.

Remember that scene from "The Blues Brothers" where Jake and Elwood were dining at Chez Paul, getting Mr. Fabulous back into the Band?  "The soup is ****ing ten dollars!"

Uh, actually, it's 20 in the restaurant.  Don't even ask what they want to bring it up to you.

Bottom line?  That one "snack" easily cost the same as the food bill for a family of four for AT LEAST two months, perhaps even three.

And they insult a plumber for wanting to keep what he makes?  Audacity, indeed.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
I have stayed there before.  The rooms are fantastic, and so is the food and service. 

As GWB said last night (paraphrase):  "It's good to be among the haves, or in your case - the have mores, or as I like to call you - my base."

:cheersmate:

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »
Michelle Obama called room service and ordered lobster hors d'oeuvres, two whole steamed lobsters, Iranian caviar and champagne

Yep, all you average Joe liberals, the Obamas are just like you.  Not elitist in the least.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:14:30 PM »
Yep, all you average Joe liberals, the Obamas are just like you.  Not elitist in the least.

Easy, hoss--some of us DO like lobster, when we can afford it.

Fridays at Market Basket.  "Chicken" lobsters for $4.99 a pound.  Cheaper than steak!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
I'd rather be invited to one of GWB's barbecues on his ranch than one of her "parties.