Author Topic: Easy French Onion Soup  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Easy French Onion Soup
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
1/2 cup (125g) of unsalted butter
4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
5 cups (1.25l) vegetable broth
4 beef bullion cubes
2 bay leaves
1/2 lb (250g) Gruyere or Swiss cheese, sliced or shredded
4-5 slices of french bread, toasted

Melt the butter over low heat and add the onions.  Cook the onions until they turn a deep, caramel brown.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

Add the stock, bullion cubes, and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.  Cover for 30 minutes.

Discard the bay leaves

Ladle soup in broiler-proof bowls.  Add a slice of french bread and cover with cheese.  Melt cheese under broiler and serve.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

Re: Easy French Onion Soup
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »
I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee french onion soup!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
This is really, really good.

I picked up a couple of beef spareribs.  I'm thinking of roasting them and adding them to the vegetable stock.  The veggie stock adds a richer flavor than regular beef stock. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »
I like the look of that, I love french onion soup.  I could put that together after work, if I don't feel up to much, quite quickly

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »
I'm not a fan of "simmer on the stove top" method.  I have a habit of over-cooking things that way.  I've gotten used to my crock pots and dutch ovens, and put the sauce pot in the oven at 200*.  I deglazed the pan after taking the beef ribs out of the oven and put the ribs back in after adding the broth, onions, and bay leaves. 

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »
I really need to get some oven proof bowls.  I love French Onion Soup, but I don't have the right bowls.  Darn it.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."