Author Topic: More football is always a good thing...  (Read 2438 times)

Offline DaSaintFan

More football is always a good thing...
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:19:55 AM »
(of course, this is coming from a guy who enjoyed watching the XFL's only season... and was disappointed when it didn't return):

USA Today article on the AAFL

The All American Football League will hold its inaugural draft Saturday in Atlanta. The process will supplement rosters built on a core group of former college stars assigned to the league's six teams based on geography.

The AAFL will begin play this spring as a minor league with a twist: teams are based in college football hotbeds and hope to draw support from those fans during a down time for the game. Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Tennessee and Texas will field teams filled with players who attended schools in those states or neighboring states.

Players must have earned their college degrees, exhausted their eligibility and been evaluated by league coaches after attending an AAFL combine to be eligible. The list of committed players is heavy on quarterbacks, including Chris Leak, who led Florida to the 2007 national championship, and Tee Martin, who guided Tennessee to the 1998 title.

The league's 10-game season opens April 12 with some Friday night games but most on Saturday. Teams will bring 60 players to training camp and will have game-day rosters of 46. Player salaries will range between $50,000 and $100,000.

Other former stars include:
•Alabama (teamed with Georgia and Mississippi) — WR Freddie Milons (Alabama) and RB Tre Smith (Auburn).

•Arkansas (teamed with Louisiana and Oklahoma) — QBs Clint Stoerner (Arkansas) and Marcus Randall (LSU).

•Florida — Leak, and WRs Peter Warrick (FSU), Willie Jackson (Florida) and Ryan Moore (Miami).

•Michigan (teamed with Illinois and Indiana) — DB Quenton Burrell (Notre Dame) and CB Jeremy LeSueur (Michigan).

•Tennessee (teamed with South Carolina and Kentucky) — Martin, QB Woodrow Dantzler (Clemson) and WR C.J. Fayton (Tennessee).

•Texas —QBs B.J. Symons (Texas Tech) and Kliff Kingsbury (Texas Tech).

"The concept was to tap into the interest in the college game in certain regions and build on that by using players who will carry recognition in those areas," says Cedric Dempsey, a former president of the NCAA and chairman of the AAFL's managing board. "We think we have a workable model but its success will depend on how the fans respond."

Here's to hoping Michigan chokes in yet another league :)  (and hoping the league lasts {and gets televised})

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: More football is always a good thing...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
(of course, this is coming from a guy who enjoyed watching the XFL's only season... and was disappointed when it didn't return)

I guess success or failure depends on what game rules are adopted. The XFL had problems with defensive rules about covering wide receivers didn't they? I think the low scoring was hurting the ratings.   
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: More football is always a good thing...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
I guess success or failure depends on what game rules are adopted. The XFL had problems with defensive rules about covering wide receivers didn't they? I think the low scoring was hurting the ratings.   

....and allowing people to change their names to anything they wanted like that fool "He Hate Me". It was a joke from day one.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site