Author Topic: Computers suck  (Read 13266 times)

Offline jendf

Computers suck
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:09 PM »
Don't mind me. I just wanted to be the first to post in a forum.  :-)

Commence with computer questions.

Offline Zeus

Re: Computers suck
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »
I recall hearing how computers were going to simplify our lives. More & more you encounter instances where you try to conduct business but are told "Sorry we can't do that now our computers are down"

Aren't people taught how to use pen & paper anymore ?
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline djones520

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
I recall hearing how computers were going to simplify our lives. More & more you encounter instances where you try to conduct business but are told "Sorry we can't do that now our computers are down"

They've certainly simplified my life.  I can't even imagine trying to forecast the weather without computers.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:57:05 AM »

Zeus, while I was active duty, they'd issue ID cards using the paper method. Went to get an new ID card for the daughter and they couldn't issue her one because they couldn't log onto the DEERS server. (It was down, apparently) I was thinking.......... our military is ****ed if we ever lose our computers for whatever reason.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »

Zeus, while I was active duty, they'd issue ID cards using the paper method. Went to get an new ID card for the daughter and they couldn't issue her one because they couldn't log onto the DEERS server. (It was down, apparently) I was thinking.......... our military is ****ed if we ever lose our computers for whatever reason.

Amen to that.  A couple years ago they started the "paperless" AF initiative.  They didn't want us keeping any paper records.  It had to all be electronically backed up.

Screw that.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:10:25 AM »
IMO, what they need is a local server tied to the National server, at a minimum. Updates would be done automatically at the end of the day (after work hours). They should STILL be able to do everything on paper because if, say, an EMP happens, at least it wouldn't cripple the military.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
IMO, what they need is a local server tied to the National server, at a minimum. Updates would be done automatically at the end of the day (after work hours). They should STILL be able to do everything on paper because if, say, an EMP happens, at least it wouldn't cripple the military.

I've got to imagine that we've got back up plans in the event of such a situation.  I just don't know what they are.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
LOL, yeah, it's called PAPER!!! Paper did well enough for those of us that served prior to 1995. I don't see why it still can't be in place. Just imagine, djones, what happens to your forecasting job without the aid of a computer?? Folks have been doing the weather for decades without computers.

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:37:04 PM »
LOL, yeah, it's called PAPER!!! Paper did well enough for those of us that served prior to 1995. I don't see why it still can't be in place. Just imagine, djones, what happens to your forecasting job without the aid of a computer?? Folks have been doing the weather for decades without computers.

Yeah, but not near to the accuracy or degree of detail that we do it now.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »

They've certainly simplified my life.  I can't even imagine trying to forecast the weather without computers.

Well, stick your hand outside the door.

If it is hot, it is sunny.
If it is wet, it is raining.
If it is covered with snow, it is snowing.
If it did all this in the last 10 minutes, you are in either Richmond, VA or Rochester, NY.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline djones520

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:15 AM »

Well, stick your hand outside the door.

If it is hot, it is sunny.
If it is wet, it is raining.
If it is covered with snow, it is snowing.
If it did all this in the last 10 minutes, you are in either Richmond, VA or Rochester, NY.

:lmao:  The over simplification of my job by people who have no clue never gets old.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
In my last job the computerized job tracking system we used generated many times the paper waste that the old carbon copy book had generated.

Paperless office my fat ass.

Ironically this was working in IT support.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 09:55:54 PM »
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.