Author Topic: Sadamn Admitted He Miscalculated  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Sadamn Admitted He Miscalculated
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:51 PM »
Intresting......................

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3155239

Barrett808 (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 05:19 PM
Original message
Saddam admitted he miscalculated, FBI agent says 
 Source: Reuters

NEW YORK, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein kept up the illusion that he had weapons of mass destruction before 2003 because he did not think the United States would invade, an FBI agent who questioned him said.

In an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" to be broadcast on Sunday, FBI agent George Piro describes conversations with Saddam in the months after his capture in December 2003.

Piro said Saddam, who was hanged from crimes against humanity in December 2006, wanted to maintain the image of a strong Iraq to deter Iran, its historic enemy, from hostile action.

"He told me he initially miscalculated ... President (George W.) Bush's intentions. He thought the United States would retaliate with the same type of attack as we did in 1998... a four-day aerial attack," Piro said.
Read more: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24277030.htm

Did he not realize that was for his blowjob.

Okay. So who wants to take bets on where this thread is going??

bahrbearian  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 05:20 PM
Response to Original message
1. Bush Knew

Bicoastal  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-24-08 05:21 PM
2. This sounds like a line for the Bush-apologists. "How could we have KNOWN?"
 Despite having the most powerful, well-funded intelligence agency in the world on our side?

lumberjack_jeff  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-24-08 05:24 PM
Response to Reply #2
4. Yeah, that and the phone number of the IAEA. n/t

Kutjara  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 05:23 PM
3. His biggest miscalculation...
 ...was deciding to do business with the world's biggest crime organization, the Executive Branch of the US Government. Like a neighborhood hoodlum invited to "do a few jobs" for the mob, Saddam quickly got in over his head. Then, when he insulted the capo once too often, he was fed to the sharks.

IanDB1  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 06:16 PM
Response to Reply #3
10. Same mistake Noriega made. Just because The CIA helped him deal drugs... 
 didn't mean that The CIA wouldn't help give us a "reason" to invade Panama.

And just because the U.S. gave Saddam chemical weapons, showed him how to use them, and provided him satellite data of The Kurds, didn't mean we wouldn't hang him for doing what we told him to do in the first place.

We supplied the sat data to dunbass??

Double T  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 05:24 PM
5. bushco fabricating their false legacy............
 Edited on Thu Jan-24-08 05:25 PM by Double T
rethug think tanks MUST BE working in overdrive; by the time THEY are finished JC him/her-self will have anointed bushco.

I'm shocked..............tell you shocked that Doug's ex responded.

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 05:30 PM
6. Yeah, it's our former agent's fault we blew up his country and hung him.

theredpen  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 05:34 PM
7. BULLSHIT
 Edited on Thu Jan-24-08 05:36 PM by theredpen

When Hans Blix and his team said that Iraq was largely in compliance with the inspection routine, these veteran experts in anti-proliferation were mocked by the wingnuts for being foolish enough to fall for Saddam Hussein's trickery. It was a foregone conclusion that Iraq was overflowing with WMDs and that the weapons inspectors were too stupid to find them.

I went back and looked at ****ing Newsmax articles in 2003 and there were plenty of reports of diplomats and intelligence agencies that expressed doubt. Newsmax presented these reports as dismissively as possible, but there they were. I saved and email from just a few days before the war started in which I accurately predicted everything that happened: no WMDs, tribal civil war, massive kleptocracy, etc. This wasn't divine wisdom, but merely the inescapable conclusion one would have reached had they been paying attention to news and opinion sources that weren't actively beating the war drum.

Bottom line: Saddam Hussein insisted that he had no WMDs. That doesn't sound like someone pretending that he did. Try to find a single instance where Hussein equivocated on this point.

The wingnuts have so much blood on their hands, they don't even notice it anymore.

I feel so much better now!

TacticalPeek (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-24-08 05:45 PM
8. Thanks to their handiwork, they can say Saddam said anything they wish.
 Piro, like Saddam, could have watched for months in the shipping news the biggest logistics lift since Gulf War One and asked himself, like Saddam, 'how is this not like Operation Desert Fox?'.

I mean, in the real world.

The fact is: what is Saddam's 'choice'? Abandon his WMD and allow international inspection to avoid attack by the US?

Piro should write for the National Enquirer.

Orsino  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 06:15 PM
9. He miscalcuated only on the depth of the corruption in Congress...
 ...and on the apathy of Americans. * came to office with a promise to invade Iraq, so the Administration's intentions were never in doubt.

Don't ya'll remember those promises??

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: Sadamn Admitted He Miscalculated
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
Let me say it just once....

"BUSH LIED PEOPLE DIED" I feel so much better now......DUmmies are morons, one and all........ :loser: :loser:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »
"Sadamn Admitted He Miscalculated".

Well. Duuuuhh!  :-)

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »
Actually this is a great article and probably should get more attention than the DU forum.

Saddam still wouldn't admit he had no weapons of mass destruction, even when it was obvious there would be military action against him because of the perception he did. Because, says Piro, "For him, it was critical that he was seen as still the strong, defiant Saddam. He thought that [faking having the weapons] would prevent the Iranians from reinvading Iraq," he tells Pelley.

He also intended and had the wherewithal to restart the weapons program. "Saddam] still had the engineers. The folks that he needed to reconstitute his program are still there," says Piro. "He wanted to pursue all of WMD…to reconstitute his entire WMD program." This included chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, Piro says.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/24/60minutes/main3749494.shtml

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »
meh, once the dictator is dead... i dont give much of what he says much weight.

why didnt any of this come out at his trial? he certainly had the time and means to give that info up..

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
meh, once the dictator is dead... i dont give much of what he says much weight.

why didnt any of this come out at his trial? he certainly had the time and means to give that info up..
In strictly technical, legalistic terms:

In the particular trial that lead to Saddam's execution that defense would have been immaterial as the trial centered on the murder of 100+ innocent people in retaliation for an attempted assassination against the former dictator.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."