Author Topic: Consumer prices ease on cheaper energy (another "fundemental" improves)  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

doom has been postponed due to insufficient cataclysms.  it appears as though john mccain had it exactly right
when he tried to sound an optimistic note (which is all that he was trying to do yesterday) despite the alarming
market news.

Consumer prices ease on cheaper energy
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Consumer prices dipped in August for the first monthly drop in nearly two years as a slowing global economy cut energy costs and relieved some inflation pressures, government data showed on Tuesday.

Analysts said the favorable price news would make it easier for the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates as soon as Tuesday to help ease a growing crisis in financial markets. Policy-makers will announce their decision at 2:15 p.m. EDT

The August decline in the Consumer Price Index was in line with forecasts from economists surveyed by Reuters and followed a 0.8 percent July jump, a Labor Department report showed.

"If the Fed is thinking of cutting interest rates this afternoon, this gives them a little more freedom to do that," said Robert McIntosh, chief economist for Eaton Vance Corp in Boston.

More

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: Consumer prices ease on cheaper energy (another "fundemental" improves)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »

there is an oddly circular argument going on in the MSM today about consumer prices easing because the price of oil is dropping, but that is somehow because of concerns that the fannie mae/freddie mac problem will mean that demand for energy won't return anytime soon . . . but I don't remember the MSM ever mentioning global demand as a reason for oil prices rising in the first place.  oil prices went through the roof because of george bush's foreign policy in the middle east, I thought. :whatever:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »

but I don't remember the MSM ever mentioning global demand as a reason for oil prices rising in the first place.  oil prices went through the roof because of george bush's foreign policy in the middle east, I thought. :whatever:

That was then. Palin has now stolen the MSM attention away from GW.  PDS is in full swing...nothing else matters for now.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

but I don't remember the MSM ever mentioning global demand as a reason for oil prices rising in the first place.  oil prices went through the roof because of george bush's foreign policy in the middle east, I thought. :whatever:

That was then. Palin has now stolen the MSM attention away from GW.  PDS is in full swing...nothing else matters for now.

well, the could at least be consistent in their bias, ya know? :uhsure: :whatever: :-)