Author Topic: Missouri Republican Governor Blunt won't seek 2nd term  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Missouri Republican Governor Blunt won't seek 2nd term
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
Mo. Gov. Blunt won't seek 2nd term

In a surprise announcement, Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt said today that he will not seek a second term this year.

Blunt, a Republican elected in 2004, explained in a television address that he had accomplished virtually everything he had set out to do.

“The habit of politicians is to remain in office and the desire to prove oneself in the next election is strong,” Blunt said. “After a great deal of thought and prayer, and with the knowledge that we have achieved virtually everything I set out to accomplish, and more, I will not seek a second term in the upcoming election.”

A news conference is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Story

more happy news for Republicans. 

Offline DaSaintFan

Re: Missouri Republican Governor Blunt won't seek 2nd term
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »
Unfortunatley, as I've not gotten myself into the Missouri political scene here yet, I'm not sure if this is good or bad.. (as I don't know how well Blunt did as Governor, in terms of the issues.. I've heard lots of criticisms, but no time to do research myself.)

I do know that the Democrat Attorney general was expected to beat Blunt if they ran head-to-head though...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Missouri Republican Governor Blunt won't seek 2nd term
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »
As a Missourian, I think that he did a pretty good job, particularly compared to the prior gov.  We were floored at the announcement yesterday.  I think he has other plans....either as Kit Bonds replacement, or in Romney's camp if he wins (he endorsed Romney).

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.