Author Topic: ChatGPT took their jobs. Now they walk dogs and fix air conditioners.  (Read 469 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217966292

Well now, looks like the DUmmies might be waking up to what the trades make vs those who decided to get a degree.

Wonder if they’re still going to be shouting about “living wages?”

14 hrs ago
Star Member dalton99a
ChatGPT took their jobs. Now they walk dogs and fix air conditioners.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/06/02/ai-taking-jobs/
https://archive.ph/AimGl

ChatGPT took their jobs. Now they walk dogs and fix air conditioners.
Technology used to automate dirty and repetitive jobs. Now, artificial intelligence chatbots are coming after high-paid ones.
By Pranshu Verma and Gerrit De Vynck
June 2, 2023 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

When ChatGPT came out last November, Olivia Lipkin, a 25-year-old copywriter in San Francisco, didn’t think too much about it. Then, articles about how to use the chatbot on the job began appearing on internal Slack groups at the tech start-up where she worked as the company’s only writer.

Over the next few months, Lipkin’s assignments dwindled. Managers began referring to her as “Olivia/ChatGPT” on Slack. In April, she was let go without explanation, but when she found managers writing about how using ChatGPT was cheaper than paying a writer, the reason for her layoff seemed clear.

“Whenever people brought up ChatGPT, I felt insecure and anxious that it would replace me,” she said. “Now I actually had proof that it was true, that those anxieties were warranted and now I was actually out of a job because of AI.”

Some economists predict artificial intelligence technology like ChatGPT could replace hundreds of millions of jobs, in a cataclysmic reorganization of the workforce mirroring the industrial revolution.

I’m not worried about AI in my field. I also earn more per year than every person I know with a degree. I think my primary physician earns more than I do but he’s the exception, not the rule.

Enjoy.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

Fix air conditioners? I doubt this coddled "writer" could turn one on.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline ADsOutburst

Maybe don't learn to code after all?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Maybe don't learn to code after all?

To quote Judge Smails in Caddyshack, "The world needs ditch diggers too".
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
...When ChatGPT came out last November, Olivia Lipkin, a 25-year-old copywriter in San Francisco, didn’t think too much about it. Then, articles about how to use the chatbot on the job began appearing on internal Slack groups at the tech start-up where she worked as the company’s only writer.

Over the next few months, Lipkin’s assignments dwindled. Managers began referring to her as “Olivia/ChatGPT” on Slack. In April, she was let go without explanation, but when she found managers writing about how using ChatGPT was cheaper than paying a writer, the reason for her layoff seemed clear.

“Whenever people brought up ChatGPT, I felt insecure and anxious that it would replace me,” she said. “Now I actually had proof that it was true, that those anxieties were warranted and now I was actually out of a job because of AI.”
[/snip]

When the HollyWeird writers went on strike a couple of months ago now, the running joke on LinkedIn was that the quality of scripts was about to climb exponentially because "scabs" were about to get their big break on projects where an original POV would benefit, and AI was about to get all the plodding, formulaic jobs that these pampered scions of Looniversity English departments were formerly being funneled into, to keep them out of everybody else's hair.

Either way, I suspect we're looking at a rennaisance of scripts being produced that might actually be worth plunking down money to see in the near future. Just watching for when AI replaces Nadin down at the San Diego penny classifieds.

:popcorn:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline DUmpDiver

fix air conditioners.

Somebody trained in HVAC probably makes more than a copywriter.

Offline SVPete

Back in ancient times when I was going through Dervy (DeVry), our class got introduced to vacuum tubes and did a lab or two with a 12AU7 (IIRC), but the following quarter to be taught transistor theory instead of tube theory. Vacuum tubes were becoming a niche device ... and now discrete bipolar transistors are largely displaced by MOSFETs and ICs. My point is that technology advances, displacing older technologies and processes.

Those copywriters' computers displaced Selectric and other electric typewriters, and in the process, writers who chose not to learn to use Wordstar, Lotus 1-2-3, Word Perfect, and MS Word. The best among those copywriters will (or will have already) advanced in their profession and learned higher and newer skills in writing and ?? that AI writing programs cannot do. Just as I never stopped learning after graduating from Dervy during Ford's Administration (not patting myself on the back, the alternative was a lifetime of entry-level jobs or government social programs).

I went to the thread and was mildly surprised to see that only a few went full-Luddite or Marxist. More pointed out that HVAC is a very remunerative career field or that technology creates career fields as well as ends career fields.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:42:20 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.