Author Topic: Is De Santis whitewashing his own name?  (Read 478 times)

Offline CC27

Is De Santis whitewashing his own name?
« on: June 01, 2023, 07:47:04 AM »
Baitball Blogger (45,724 posts)

Is De Santis whitewashing his own name?

De Santis has Italian heritage, so I assume the "De" has the same origin as you would find in Spain. "De" is just a word that comes before the family name, like saying "from Santis". Maybe there is more to it, but today, from Mika on Morning Joe, I learned that De Santis pronounces it like the letter "D" and not the usual pronunciation, which would sound more like "Deh." She said that's how he pronounced it in a video.

So, I'm wondering. Is this guy so consumed with stripping any sign of ethnicity, other than Anglo, that he would strip the woke out of his own heritage? Is this a recent affectation? Or is this what he has done from the start?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217961372

What the hell are you babbling about?  :whatever:

Offline SVPete

Re: Is De Santis whitewashing his own name?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »
What the hell are you babbling about?  :whatever:

Baitball Blogger is insinuating that Governor Ron DeSantis is pretending to be Hispanic. Kind of like the Pretendian from Massachusetts or Kammie who is half-Indian and raised Hindu, but identifies as black. But what might be learned from W'pedia's bio of DeSantis, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_DeSantis#Early_life_and_education :

DeSantis was born 44 years ago in Jacksonville, Florida, the son of Karen DeSantis (née Rogers) and Ronald Daniel DeSantis. His middle name, Dion, extols the singer Dion DiMucci.[4] His mother's family name, Rogers, was chosen by her grandfather upon immigrating from Italy.[5][6][7] All of DeSantis's great-grandparents immigrated from Southern Italy[nb 1] during the Italian diaspora.[13] His parents and grandparents were born and grew up in western Pennsylvania and northeast Ohio.[4]

My emphasis. Whether "DeSantis" was changed from something else or was Southern Italian regional usage that Baitball Blogger is ignorant of, I can't say. What is clear is that Gov. DeSantis' father had the family name "DeSantis". Thus Baitball Blogger's insinuation is, unsurprisingly, entirely false.

The article says that DeSantis', "great-grandparents immigrated from Southern Italy during the Italian diaspora." "Italian diaspora" was a term not familiar to me, so I checked it out. The first Italian diaspora, which the great-grandparents would have been part of, was roughly from the unification of Italy through the rise of Mussolini*. Southern Italy becoming part of Italy came late in the unification history, and involved battles. It was not exactly amicable. I'm guessing DeSantis' great-grandparents came to the US some time in the 1880s or 1890s.

* One of my uncles came to the US in the 1920s. Whether he was literally fleeing Musso or that just happened to be the opportune time, I don't know. My paternal grandparents were Volga German farmers who fled Russia, knowing that the coming Communist revolution would bring them nothing good. Ironically, their one daughter who had been born in Russia was the one who married this man who left/fled Italy. Over time, this uncle sponsored over much of his family.

Anyway, Baitball Blogger's ignorant sneer is false, unsurprisingly.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 10:13:31 AM »
The DUmmies and libs were on a big jihad regarding former rather minor Presidential candidate Bobby Jindal who Americanized his first name. IIRC, it was a traditional Indian name of Punjab. They're doing it to Nikki Haley now as well.

They'll use any means necessary to slam a conservative or someone with an "R" next to their name, but attacking anyone on the left for similar transgressions is absolutely verboten.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Delmar

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 11:13:57 AM »
My last name is French but similar, it starts with De and I have experienced problems similar to what DeSantis is going through:  Having shit-for-brains "Well ackshually" type people trying to tell me how to pronounce my own name.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »
The same idiots who obsessed over Trump's immigrant ancestor changing the last name from Drumpf to Trump when entering this US.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »
My last name is French but similar, it starts with De and I have experienced problems similar to what DeSantis is going through:  Having shit-for-brains "Well ackshually" type people trying to tell me how to pronounce my own name.

Spanish, Italian, and French are all Romance languages. So they have the same or similar words meaning "of". While the mainstream Italian word is "di", Italy's fractured history means there are pretty much certainly regional dialects and usages. So "de" could have been the common usage in southern Italy in the late 19th Century when DeSantis' GGPs came to the US. Or maybe they adjusted to the more French-like "de" when they entered the US. Or maybe DeSantis' grandparents made the change in the 20s or 30s when Musso and Italy came into disrepute.

What Baitball Blogger seems to have ignored or been ignorant of is that in Spanish family names, the "de" is a separate word, e.g. Don Quixote de la Mancha (Sir Quixote of the Mancha, a region in Spain). This is more of a niggling detail, but another, minor, example of DUmmie ignorance.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
Well gee, I have an Italian surname, but in my family we don’t pronounce it the way an Italian. It’s not because we’re “whitewashing” our name, it’s because that’s most people do when their family has been in the US for generations.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 12:55:37 PM »
Well gee, I have an Italian surname, but in my family we don’t pronounce it the way an Italian. It’s not because we’re “whitewashing” our name, it’s because that’s most people do when their family has been in the US for generations.

My family name is German, and whether from several generations having lived in Russia or post-immigration Americanization, I'm 99.9% sure we've been pronouncing our name differently than it would be in SW Germany, where our family was originally from.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 07:16:49 PM »
Im thinking yall are giving the DUmp too much credit for "thinking". Im pretty confident their depth of thoughts are remarkably shallow.  :)

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »
Im thinking yall are giving the DUmp too much credit for "thinking". Im pretty confident their depth of thoughts are remarkably shallow.  :)

Yeah, their thinking is about as deep as an evaporated raindrop.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 11:04:35 AM »
WHAT’S IN A NAME? [UPDATED]

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/06/whats-in-a-name-6.php

That the Democrats are scared to death of Ron DeSantis is evident from the quality of their attacks on him. They don’t want to talk about his record as governor; from their perspective, the less said about that the better. So they have launched one silly broadside after another. But this one takes the cake. It comes from Axios, a web site for the mentally below average: Dee-Santis or Deh-Santis? His team won’t say.

Axios would have us believe that there is a major controversy over whether the governor’s name is pronounced DeeSantis or DehSantis:
UPDATE: Axios’s story presumably was coordinated with the White House. In any event, Andrew Bates, Joe Biden’s Deputy Press Secretary and Senior Communications Adviser for Strategic Response, jumped right on it:]That the Democrats are scared to death of Ron DeSantis is evident from the quality of their attacks on him. They don’t want to talk about his record as governor; from their perspective, the less said about that the better. So they have launched one silly broadside after another. But this one takes the cake. It comes from Axios, a web site for the mentally below average: Dee-Santis or Deh-Santis? His team won’t say.

Axios would have us believe that there is a major controversy over whether the governor’s name is pronounced DeeSantis or DehSantis:
UPDATE: Axios’s story presumably was coordinated with the White House. In any event, Andrew Bates, Joe Biden’s Deputy Press Secretary and Senior Communications Adviser for Strategic Response, jumped right on it:

1. A tempest and a teapot short of a tempest-in-a-teapot.

2. DU enjoys a dearth of original thought. Their silly Gotcha-Trump threads were just regurgitated pap from elsewhere, and will be again. And their Gotcha-DeSantis threads will be as well.

Fixed my mess
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:54:36 AM by SVPete »

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 08:40:22 PM »
They are afraid of him because their progressive woke agenda is in danger with him.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 03:33:39 AM »
The DUmmies and libs were on a big jihad regarding former rather minor Presidential candidate Bobby Jindal who Americanized his first name. IIRC, it was a traditional Indian name of Punjab. They're doing it to Nikki Haley now as well.

They'll use any means necessary to slam a conservative or someone with an "R" next to their name, but attacking anyone on the left for similar transgressions is absolutely verboten.

The funny things about their attacks on Nikki Haley is that she hasn't Americanized her name.  Her birth name is Nimarata Nikki Randhawa.  Her parents called her Nikki from childhood.  Nikki is a Punjabi name meaning "little one".   She married Michael Haley and took his last name.  Prior to her marriage she went by Randhawa.  When Dems attack her by accusing her of hiding her Indian heritage that are projecting their own prejudices.  They will claim that pointing out the fact that her parents immigrated from India will come as some shock to all us racist and xenophobic Republicans.  I guess they think that we believe she's Norwegian or Swedish, because she looks so Nordic, LOL.  But neither she, nor Jindal, ever tried to hide their heritage.  The Dems just hate that they, like Black Conservatives, left the reservation.  Hiding your heritage is doing things like going by Barry for most of your life until it became politically advantageous to use your actual name, Barack.