Author Topic: my fellow alum Skins polls the primitives  (Read 2730 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
my fellow alum Skins polls the primitives
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:50:50 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2734234

And the poll's racking up Husseinian-like percentages, as my fellow alum hoped would happen.

Skinner ADMIN  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-21-08 02:50 PM
Original message

Poll question: Should we require that threads about the Democratic Primary be posted in the GD: Politics forum? 

Currently, threads about the Democratic presidential primaries are permitted in both the General Discussion forum and the General Discussion: Politics forum.

Obviously, discussion of the Democratic presidential primaries here on DU has really heated up in the last couple weeks since the primaries and caucuses began. That is to be expected. After all, this is a very close race involving very fierce competitors, the stakes are enormous, and this is a discussion forum filled with passionate and highly partisan people. It should come as no surprise -- particularly to those of you who were here four years ago -- that things are pretty intense here on DU right now.

But there is only so much that some of us can take. I suspect that many of you might appreciate it if you had a place where you could go to get away from the discussions about the Democratic primaries. With this in mind, we are proposing that threads about the Democratic presidential primaries no longer be permitted in the General Discussion forum, and should instead be posted in the General Discussion: Politics forum. That would leave the General Discussion forum as a primary-free zone.

Here's how it would work: When you click "post" to start a thread in either of the two General Discussion forums, you would be presented with a page explaining that discussion of the Democratic primaries is not permitted in the General Discussion forum, and instead must be posted in the General Discussion: Politics forum. You would then be prompted to select the forum that is most appropriate for your topic. This simple, pro-active approach has already worked successfully for us in the past, and resulted in very few instances of threads being posted in the wrong place. When it comes to the moderators' attention that a thread was posted in the wrong place, they have the authority to shut it down. So, here is your poll question:

Should we require that threads about the Democratic Primary be posted in the General Discussion: Politics forum, and disallow them in the General Discussion forum?

Please kick and recommend this thread, as necessary, so more DUers can see it.

Poll result (524 votes) 

Yes. Put all the primary threads in GD: Politics.  (461 votes, 88%)
No. Let us post primary stuff in both GD forums.  (41 votes, 8%)
Don't know/Don't care/Other  (22 votes, 4%)

It's a big campfire, roaring and blazing.

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-21-08 02:56 PM
Response to Original message

19. I wish they would be moved. I'm much better at staying out of GD-P.

WilliamPitt  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-21-08 04:54 PM

98. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes and also yes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Re: my fellow alum Skins polls the primitives
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:15 AM »
Frankso,

This stuff about you being Skinner's fellow alumnus needs to stop. You are not a Yale alumnus.

The word "alumnus" has a very specific meaning. The fact that you and Skinner attended classes taught by the same professor but at different schools does not make Skinner your alumnus.

You're a smart guy and you went to a great school. You have no need to create the impression that you went to Yale, so why do it?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:34:01 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »
Frankso,

This stuff about you being Skinner's fellow alumnus needs to stop. You are not a Yale alumnus. The word "alumnus" has a very specific meaning. The fact that you and Skinner may have had a professor in common does not make Skinner your fellow alumnus.

You're a smart guy and you went to a great school. You have no need to create the impression that you went to Yale so why do it?

who knew $kammer went to yale? did he graduate?  I knew a chick that graduated from yale;  she said the only hard thing about it was getting in.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »
WilliamPitt  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-21-08 04:54 PM

98. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes and also yes.

Pitt taking the chicago model of voting, I see.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

who knew $kammer went to yale? did he graduate?  I knew a chick that graduated from yale;  she said the only hard thing about it was getting in.

Considering that Skinner has a degree from Yale, I think we can rest assured that he did graduate.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »

Considering that Skinner has a degree from Yale, I think we can rest assured that he did graduate.

considering that I don't keep track of the guy's personal history, I think it was a perfectly reasonable question.  many
people attend classes at a college or university but never graduate.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:36:59 PM »
considering that I don't keep track of the guy's personal history, I think it was a perfectly reasonable question.  many
people attend classes at a college or university but never graduate.

I didn't think your question was unreasonable. I hope didn't come across as a smartass. I wasn't trying to be one.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas