Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 63159 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Suggestions
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »
As this site is in it's EARLY infancy, I will need suggestions as to what you'd like to see. Here are a few categories:

PLEASE REMEMBER, EVERYTHING IS FLUID RIGHT NOW.

1) Categories- Any categories, like the lounge/bar, political, etc.

2) Boards- actual boards that'll be under those categories

3) Child boards- many boards can easily fall under another board by sharing some of the same traits. I.e., like having a military board, with the US Army, US Navy, etc., being child board.

4) Moderation- if anyone has any experience modding, or think you can do the job, throw your name into the ring. Please note, this position also requires a little bit of recruiting as well.

5) New features- Many things I can do, and have done at other sites such as e-Mail, smilies, page layout, colors, etc. You suggest it, and it is a consensus, I'll get it done.....if it can be done.

6) Name suggestions- I'm not really liking the "Conservatives Cave" right now, so if anyone has any suggestions on that, please post them. I'm open.

In summation, "I" know an Admin isn't a board. I also know it takes members and when you start thinking your members don't mean shit, and you're HMFIC that doesn't have to listen to anyone, you limit the growth of your board. It's not about me. It's about the community as a whole. I have added another Admin, Thor. Some of you may see him from time to time on CU. He's my fellow Admin at USMILNET and my right hand, I.e., I die, it's his world dog,  and is known for getting things done. He said he'd help out as much as he can. Thor is retired Navy so when it comes to slamming idiots like TiT, he's also your man.  :evillaugh:

Kevin

EDIT: Another thing, features such as the Shoutbox and all of the categories can be minimized with the click of the mouse. The button for the shoutbox is on the far right, the buttons for the categories are on the far left.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:05:19 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:31:13 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Kev.  ;D

We need to get away from the damned blue/ white shit. It's too cold. Speaking of cold, we have 30 below wind chills moving in on us tonight in Central MN. It's TIME to get my Texas ass back to Texas!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Kev.  ;D

We need to get away from the damned blue/ white shit. It's too cold. Speaking of cold, we have 30 below wind chills moving in on us tonight in Central MN. It's TIME to get my Texas ass back to Texas!!

Too bad there's no Texas left in you, ya f'n Yankee.  :bolt:

As for the colors, I'm open to suggestions. ....but, wasn't it you that wanted the main page for USMILNET to be blue?  :confused:

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
Optional Word Censor coming:

Once this is activated, you can censor words by simply checking a box in your profile.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:02:24 AM »
Is there a "recent posts" function?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »
Is there a "recent posts" function?

Hey lug! In the upper left hand corner of the home page there is an option to view unread posts.

Offline Dustin

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
My only suggestion would be to try Vbulletin.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »

That's a pay-by-year software. Add that with hosting and yearly domain fees, and it's little high. Open Source BBS are, IMO, a lot better as I can pretty much do whatever we want with this. I have access to the entire code.

Here's a little bit of what we did at usmilnet:

http://usmilnet.com/smf/index.php

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »

That's a pay-by-year software. Add that with hosting and yearly domain fees, and it's little high. Open Source BBS are, IMO, a lot better as I can pretty much do whatever we want with this. I have access to the entire code.

There are a lot of things good about this format...it just takes getting used to.

One suggestion...leave the shoutbox open to see, but keep it for registered posters? Keep trolls down, but also I've already typed in there when not logged in..lol

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
There are a lot of things good about this format...it just takes getting used to.

One suggestion...leave the shoutbox open to see, but keep it for registered posters? Keep trolls down, but also I've already typed in there when not logged in..lol

I was going to lock it down for registered members after the site started growing. Figured I'd leave it open for a week or so for any questions  potential member's may have. Think I should go ahead? 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »
I'd make it to where guests can read the shoutbox, but not post to it.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
Done. I need to fix that Youtube button when you reply also.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
Kewl, thanks guys!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »
It may be necessary to limit newbie's ability to post pics and links for X number of posts once we get an honorable mention over at the DUmp.  They're probably already lurking.   Hey DUmmies... :bigbird:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
It may be necessary to limit newbie's ability to post pics and links for X number of posts once we get an honorable mention over at the DUmp.  They're probably already lurking.   Hey DUmmies... :bigbird:

Good point.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
How 'bout a "DUmpster" forum for all things related to the DUmp & other lib sites?

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
How 'bout a "DUmpster" forum for all things related to the DUmp & other lib sites?

I have "Liberals, in their own words". Do you think I should change the name? The DUmpster sounds pretty good.  :evillaugh:

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »
The DUmping Grounds? Or the DUmpster?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
Before c.u. I normally refered to them as DUmpsters...you know...smelly, full of cr*p that no one really wants one around, etc.......   :-)

Offline Dustin

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »

True, I've used SMF/IPB/and VB on my sites. SMF IS a good software and can easily be customized. I like it much better than phpbb, but it is missing a lot of valuable admin tools, IMO.

Offline Dustin

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
btw, check your pm rebel, if you will.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
True, I've used SMF/IPB/and VB on my sites. SMF IS a good software and can easily be customized. I like it much better than phpbb, but it is missing a lot of valuable admin tools, IMO.

Like what? I've been running SMF for almost 2 years, and aside from a few quirks here and there, it runs like a charm.

Offline Dustin

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »

Like what? I've been running SMF for almost 2 years, and aside from a few quirks here and there, it runs like a charm.
Like the ability to put users on post preview. I think they are fixing that in 2.0 but this version does not have it. That you need a mod to be able to make a board viewable by guests, but so that you cannot read the topics. It's moderator log is not all that great, imo, and a lot of the mods seem kinda shabby.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »
I personally like "All Things Libtarded", but that's just my own preference  :lmao:

"The Dumpster" is pretty good, too.

Oh, and I have no problem with the layout of this forum.

Thanks for doing it, Rebel :)
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
I personally like "All Things Libtarded", but that's just my own preference  :lmao:

"The Dumpster" is pretty good, too.

Oh, and I have no problem with the layout of this forum.

Thanks for doing it, Rebel :)

Ditto.  Thank you for the invite.