Author Topic: GM hits a home run?  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
GM hits a home run?
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:30 PM »

It's not often a design comes along and truly thinks outside of the box. What would you say to a GM developed, 4.5L V8 turbo diesel putting down 310 horsepower and 520 lb.ft. of torque in the footprint of a small block 350? What if we told you that same engine has common rail injection, a variable geometry turbo, no intake manifolds, and the exhaust ports on the valley side? Crazy! Yes - crazy good.

How can you not be utterly blown away with the brilliance of pushing charged air directly into the valve covers and skipping the lower intake manifold baloney? And come on, piping the exhaust gas directly to the center to meet up with the turbo makes us question other engine designers. To top it off, this is just the stuff we know about, GM is sitting on other details until the patents are through. We're taking this standout engine design as a sign of awesome diesely goodness to come. Say it together now - 2010 Pontiac G8 Ute turbo diesel.

http://jalopnik.com/347346/2010-45l-duramax-diesel-has-shockingly-brilliant-design
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: GM hits a home run?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:16:28 AM »
I have no idea what that means but it looks pretty.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:03:25 AM »
I thought you were going to talk about this:

The new Corvette ZR1... 620 hp.  GM is now trash talking Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari.   


Offline Taxman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »

The new Corvette ZR1... 620 hp.  GM is now trash talking Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari.   

I so want one of those. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »

It's not often a design comes along and truly thinks outside of the box. What would you say to a GM developed, 4.5L V8 turbo diesel putting down 310 horsepower and 520 lb.ft. of torque in the footprint of a small block 350? What if we told you that same engine has common rail injection, a variable geometry turbo, no intake manifolds, and the exhaust ports on the valley side? Crazy! Yes - crazy good.

How can you not be utterly blown away with the brilliance of pushing charged air directly into the valve covers and skipping the lower intake manifold baloney? And come on, piping the exhaust gas directly to the center to meet up with the turbo makes us question other engine designers. To top it off, this is just the stuff we know about, GM is sitting on other details until the patents are through. We're taking this standout engine design as a sign of awesome diesely goodness to come. Say it together now - 2010 Pontiac G8 Ute turbo diesel.

http://jalopnik.com/347346/2010-45l-duramax-diesel-has-shockingly-brilliant-design

Since in a previous lifetime I worked for them as an engine designer......I sure as hell hope that it is better than their last attempt to do a diesel in the 350 cubic inch format.....I think they are still paying off claims on that one....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
Since in a previous lifetime I worked for them as an engine designer......I sure as hell hope that it is better than their last attempt to do a diesel in the 350 cubic inch format.....I think they are still paying off claims on that one....

doc

I remember those.  Dipshits tried to make a diesel out of a regular V8 block.   :thatsright:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »

I wanted to post this the other day...

Barrett-Jackson: First 2009 Corvette ZR1 Sells at Auction for $1,000,000

(picture of a very expensive ZR1)

The first 2009 Corvette ZR1 just sold here on big money day at the big BJ auction for $1,000,000 with a little help from GM's best bud, Jay Leno to Dave Ressler. Although the money's all going to the United Way, we're wondering what this'll mean for the mark-up on the sticker price we'll see for this already $99,000 two-seat supercar. And keep in mind we still don't know what the final number will end up being on horsepower and torque. But -- what we do know now is that the sticker price will be $99,000 -- thanks to the need to provide the above-and-beyond price for IRS purposes and the charitable deduction.

http://jalopnik.com/346943/barrett+jackson-first-2009-corvette-zr1-sells-at-auction-for-1000000

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »
More Barret-Jackson auctions:

The World's Only 1967 GT500 Super Snake... For $3 Million
http://jalopnik.com/347052/worlds-only-1967-gt500-super-snake-could-be-yours-for-3-million

First 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Sells at Auction for $400,000
http://jalopnik.com/346946/barrett+jackson-first-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-off-the-line-sells-at-auction-for-400000

First 2008 Shelby GT500KR Goes For $550,000
http://jalopnik.com/346914/barrett+jackson-first-2008-shelby-gt500kr-goes-for-550000

I think the Challenger looks a lot like the Camaro.  I'd have to see them next to each other for a decent comparison.  And I like the new Mustangs, but there's no way I'd pay half a million dollars for one.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

2008 Chevrolet Camaro

:confused: I like the Challenger.  I'm not a fan of the sharp, angular lines GM has been using the last couple of years (I think the Caddillac CTS looks like a warmed-over Chrysler LeBaron :censored:).

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »
Wow, those mechanical details are pretty incredible. Thats revolutionary rather then the typical evolutionary approach to powerplant design. And it all not only makes sense but seems so sensible you wonder why it hasnt been done before. NICE!!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell