Author Topic: Wayback machine: DUmp from 2008 with nuggets of past members  (Read 306 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Wayback machine: DUmp from 2008 with nuggets of past members
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »
DemoTex Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore   Wed May-28-08 07:48 PM
Original message
Who few here pre-date Will Pitt and me with our 5/2001 seniority dates at DU?
Most of those early DUers are long-gone. Name a few, if you can.

I remember HegemonyCricket (the best ever DU name) and Lonstar (the first freeper and .. IIRC .. the first use of the tombstone).

Ichingcarpenter Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore   Wed May-28-08 07:51 PM
Response to Original message
1. I remember the late great monkeyman and some others
who were here before me, but you predate me by 2 years

TomInTib Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore   Wed May-28-08 07:55 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. I am so glad that I saved all of monkeyman's PMs to me.
I go back and read them every once in a while.

Like this past Memorial Day, for instance.

When I read them, I can hear his voice over the telephone.

He was something else - one of a kind.

RIP, Dale.

w8liftinglady Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore   Wed May-28-08 09:12 PM
Response to Reply #1
53. my letter memorializing Monkeyman
To the Editor,

We have lost 100 soldiers this month so far. This makes the third month in a row that the death toll has exceeded 100. In June, there were 299 soldiers wounded, unable to return to duty. In the meantime, we are oblivious to the suffering that our brave troops have to endure silently. There are many instances of soldiers and Marines being discouraged from seeking treatment for the horror they have witnessed. My good friend, Dale Peters, was instrumental in creating mental health resources for military with PTSD. Dale also founded the first shelter for homeless veterans in his state in Illinois. Dale died a few weeks ago. He was a veteran, a hero, a Republican and I loved him as my friend. In Dale’s memory, I invite you to consider a small donation to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans. You can learn more about them at www.nchv.org . Until we acknowledge the trauma and suffering our troops are enduring through multiple deployments, poor equipment and poor planning, the number of homeless veterans will continue to grow. Help these heroes who need us. They were there for us.

Printed Thu Jul 05th 2007 in the Waxahachie Daily Light

A VERY long thread of some primitives of prominence (Frank's term):

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3354133
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Wayback machine: DUmp from 2008 with nuggets of past members
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
I was meaning to post some of those PoP (Primitives of Prominence), but my fingers won't work the keyboard.

Anyway, it's very sad that Skins' island had already lost a significant number of its stellar primitives by May 2008, the date of this thread; nearly all those who came after them were nothing compared with their predecessors.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Wayback machine: DUmp from 2008 with nuggets of past members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:29:04 AM »
I was meaning to post some of those PoP (Primitives of Prominence), but my fingers won't work the keyboard.

Anyway, it's very sad that Skins' island had already lost a significant number of its stellar primitives by May 2008, the date of this thread; nearly all those who came after them were nothing compared with their predecessors.

Was looking for some other ancient thread authored by Walt Starr (a "legendary DUmmy"), and stumbled upon the one that I linked to.  Didn't have time to post all the memories that were posted as it is a gigantic thread.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender