Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 331235 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #525 on: April 05, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »
Surprisingly enough, I DO like that stuff when it is used as noodles under a decent marinara sauce. It sure saves on the carbs!! I haven't tried it with anything else, like alfredo sauce or whatever. I don't think I could eat that like Mrs. E. prepared it.

I tried that too.  I really just don't like it.  Which is odd, because I love squash.  The texture just ooks me out for some reason. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #526 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:07 AM »
Dinner last night was cheese sammiches and soda.  Damn power outage.

I had enough juice for a couple of lights.  I decided to catch up on my reading since I couldn't really do anything else.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #527 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »
Surprisingly enough, I DO like that stuff when it is used as noodles under a decent marinara sauce. It sure saves on the carbs!! I haven't tried it with anything else, like alfredo sauce or whatever. I don't think I could eat that like Mrs. E. prepared it.

I asked her last night if she got any "crunch" in her s'ghetti squash. She said, "No."

Another Dismal Diet Failure (DDF).  :rotf:

(although I give her kudos for at least experimenting....)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #528 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »
I tried that too.  I really just don't like it.  Which is odd, because I love squash.  The texture just ooks me out for some reason. 

I'm not a big veggie fan, period. Other than pumpkins, squash is one of my LEAST favorite foods. Maybe it's because of how my mom & grandma prepared them. I don't mind zucchini used as noodles in lasagna, either. They DO tend to make the lasagna a little too runny, though.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #529 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
A can of Vienna Sausage for lunch and steak and potato for supper..veggie to be determined.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #530 on: April 05, 2011, 10:03:17 PM »
We had a pasta I made with Dreamfield angel hair. The doc said it was lower in carbs. Whatever, it tasted good. Sunday we drove to Ft Myers to the Costco there (no Costco in Sarasota) and we got one of their very large roasted chickens. It was enough for dinner that night. I used the remainder in a pasta tonight with fresh broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, 3 kinds of fresh peppers and tomatoes.

Has anyone tried the new Philly cooking sauces? I used about a third small container as a sauce for the pizza. It was really yummy---used the Italian flavored sauce.

Can't believe, still have enough left of that pasta to use as a side dish for dinner tomorrow.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #531 on: April 09, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
Marinated chuck steak.  Not sure what else is going with it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #532 on: April 09, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
Depending on the weather....we're going to the street fair for the Opera Festival. It was supposed to rain this morning, and storm later today...so far nothing. The festival just opened a little over an hour ago, and we are going to go mid-afternoon....I'm thinking after trying Italian food at several booths...no cooking dinner.  :yahoo:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #533 on: April 09, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Dinner in a bag of some sort.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #534 on: April 09, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »
I made some bbq chipotle shredded pork for lunch, Dinner is going to be delivery, I am exhausted.  I am hoping to convince the bf to italian, and if so, the fettucihini carbonara is calling my name.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline JLO

« Reply #535 on: April 09, 2011, 11:32:45 PM »
We had the best lasagna, recipe is here with pics and easy to follow directions.  http://mylasagnarecipe.com/
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
Baked cod, yellow squash casserole, and left over coleslaw and potato salad. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #537 on: April 10, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
We had the best lasagna, recipe is here with pics and easy to follow directions.  http://mylasagnarecipe.com/

That looks delicious but complicated!!   Lots of steps!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #538 on: April 10, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
We are going to have those homemade egg noodles I made yesterday with chicken over mashed potatoes and rolls (rhodes, the kind you have to let rise).  Tomorrow we are having ribeye steaks with sauteed mushrooms, baked potatoes, salad and a different type of roll.  Wednesday we are going to have corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes and green beens.  Thursday will be Turkey Spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. Friday will be marinated chicken breast (grilled), rice, salad and rolls.

My husband got new burners for his grill the other day.  We haven't been able to grill in months so I'm ready for a good steak.  

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #539 on: April 10, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
We had a pasta I made with Dreamfield angel hair. The doc said it was lower in carbs. Whatever, it tasted good. Sunday we drove to Ft Myers to the Costco there (no Costco in Sarasota) and we got one of their very large roasted chickens. It was enough for dinner that night. I used the remainder in a pasta tonight with fresh broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, 3 kinds of fresh peppers and tomatoes.

Has anyone tried the new Philly cooking sauces? I used about a third small container as a sauce for the pizza. It was really yummy---used the Italian flavored sauce.

Can't believe, still have enough left of that pasta to use as a side dish for dinner tomorrow.

I have bought it but haven't used it yet.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #540 on: April 10, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »

I'm going to try that.

Offline debk

« Reply #541 on: April 10, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
BEG...I am incredibly impressed that you have the whole week planned out for dinner!!!! Seriously!

I haven't even figured out tomorrow night yet!

Tonight is pizza.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline JLO

« Reply #542 on: April 10, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
I'm going to try that.

Of course, as usual, I didn't have the very exact ingredients on hand (but I was reading and looking at the pretty pics while I cooked  :drool:

This recipe is like my own tried and true tweaking over the years.  My own notations are in my very well-used Betty Crocker book from decades of trials and adjustments.  And this recipe is almost the same.

My changes: I like to add fresh mushrooms and sliced black olives.  I have never used nutmeg. I have always used Cottage Cheese.  I don't measure so much anymore.  Pretty much can tell by eye.

Key ingredients are the fennel, basil and oregano!

Enjoy!
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline debk

« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
I don't understand the need to put nutmeg in pasta dishes.  :puke:

I haven't made lasagne in years. Have a very old recipe from a college roommate, who had her mother's recipe...so I figure it's at least 50 years old.  :thatsright:

I do like the idea of just letting the lasagne noodles rest in the hot water instead of cooking them. It would certainly keep them much firmer.

I made a "to die for" lemon blueberry cake the other day....I will post it separately. So easy, and soooo wonderful!!

Offline Karin

« Reply #544 on: April 12, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
Nope, no nutmeg in the lasagna.  Nutmeg belongs on eggnog. 
My ex MIL used to put cinnamon in the rice.  It was obnoxious.  Cinnamon goes on apples. 

Offline debk

« Reply #545 on: April 12, 2011, 04:48:08 PM »
When I worked as a camp counselor in college....we had buttered rice with cinnamon sugar on it for breakfast once a week. As a counselor, it was mandatory that I eat at least 3 "Girl Scout bites"....it really wasn't bad. Was a whole lot easier for me to eat than regular cereal which I detest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #546 on: April 12, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
Nope, no nutmeg in the lasagna.  Nutmeg belongs on eggnog. 
My ex MIL used to put cinnamon in the rice.  It was obnoxious.  Cinnamon goes on apples. 

My homemade spaghetti and meatballs recipe (from my mom who got it from an italian neighbor when I was a baby) calls for cinnamon in the sauce. I can taste it in the sauce but it's actually good.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #547 on: April 12, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
BEG...I am incredibly impressed that you have the whole week planned out for dinner!!!! Seriously!

I haven't even figured out tomorrow night yet!

Tonight is pizza.

I'm only good like that when I'm in cooking mode. I'm normally running to the store every few days because I don't want to plan. This will probably last a couple of months then I'll be back to ordering dominos pizza.

Offline Karin

« Reply #548 on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »
The unsweetened cinnamon was part of the boiling water.  It's Arabic. 

Anyway, I have no idea on God's green earth what's for dinner tonight.   :???:  Just drawing blanks. 

Offline debk

« Reply #549 on: April 14, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
Just went to Sonic and got hot fudge sundaes for dinner. It's so much fun to be an adult.... :yahoo: