Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325460 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #300 on: June 21, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »

I want some Italian cooking lessons from you... :-)

Made shrimp salad the other night....like crabmeat salad, it's such a good thing for summer.  :drool:

I learned from my mom...and she's an excellent cook.  My brother says I cook just like my mom...that's the best compliment I can ask for.

I love salads and fruits in the summer......

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #301 on: June 21, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
This is why I like living up here.  Seafood is comparatively inexpensive, and damned if it ain't fresh.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #302 on: June 21, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
This is why I like living up here.  Seafood is comparatively inexpensive, and damned if it ain't fresh.

so divine to live where you can get it fresh for real....not the frozen stuff that's been thawed.  :bawl:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #303 on: June 21, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
Did I happen to mention I can still get live lobsters for about $5.50 a pound at the grocery store?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #304 on: June 21, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Did I happen to mention I can still get live lobsters for about $5.50 a pound at the grocery store?

:hammer:

Did you happen to notice that I just smacked you up the side of the head? 
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #305 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »

:hammer:

Did you happen to notice that I just smacked you up the side of the head? 

And I'll make sure to have Scoobie and Red tell ya how GOOOOOOODDDDDDDD they taste.

Offline debk

« Reply #306 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
And I'll make sure to have Scoobie and Red tell ya how GOOOOOOODDDDDDDD they taste.

:bird:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #307 on: June 21, 2010, 08:42:27 PM »
I skip the whole lobsters and go for the tails.

Costco has Maine lobster tails during the holidays...for about $15/lb  
Previously frozen, but they are huge and probably tasty....I practiced on smaller ones and they came out pretty good, restaurant style.  I may be daring and try a Surf and Turf next Christmas.  

Offline debk

« Reply #308 on: June 21, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »

Previously frozen, but they are huge and probably tasty....I practiced on smaller ones and they came out pretty good, restaurant style.  I may be daring and try a Surf and Turf next Christmas.  

Runnin' Buddy and I ordered from a place, when we were up in Maine last summer, that sent fresh 1.5 pounders.

info@trentonbridgelobster.com

We were really pleased with the quality and how they were shipped. I think we are going to order from them again this summer. Our kids and some of their friends want to do it. We told them if they pay for ours too, we would cook them and do the rest of the meal.  :-)

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #309 on: June 21, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »

Speaking of.....did I mention that I have to have fresh New Hampshire lobster at least on a monthly basis?

Time for another visit.  :-)

And deb, they were delicious. Didn't get a chance to have some of Sparky's famous lobster rolls though. That's still on my wish list.
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline debk

« Reply #310 on: June 21, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
Speaking of.....did I mention that I have to have fresh New Hampshire lobster at least on a monthly basis?

And deb, they were delicious. Didn't get a chance to have some of Sparky's famous lobster rolls though. That's still on my wish list.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #311 on: June 21, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »
I say we all meet in Maine during the Lobster festival... :hyper:

Offline debk

« Reply #312 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
I saw we all meet in Maine during the Lobster festival... :hyper:

Works for me.  :drool:

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #313 on: June 21, 2010, 09:26:17 PM »

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I guess I shouldn't mention then the teriyaki steak tips he made on the grill to go with the lobster...they literally melted in your mouth. Best. Steak. Ever. Well, next to the steak we had at Delmonico's in Vegas. Don't even get me started on those.  :yum:
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #314 on: June 21, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »

REALLY?????????

:bird:

Not really, but damn if I haven't had a fresh lobstah since 98.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Had hotdogs for dinner tonight. I know how to go gourmet.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #316 on: June 22, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »

You can keep the tails.  I'll take the claws and the arms.  Much tastier, much more tender and sweet.

I've got a pound of lobster meat in the fridge.  I'm thinking Lobster Newburg is a good thing to have this Sunday.

Offline debk

« Reply #317 on: June 22, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
You can keep the tails.  I'll take the claws and the arms.  Much tastier, much more tender and sweet.

I've got a pound of lobster meat in the fridge.  I'm thinking Lobster Newburg is a good thing to have this Sunday.

:bawl: just color me green with jealousy.... :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »

:bawl: just color me green with jealousy.... :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Actually, I think I found what I'd rather do, since I really don't feel like messing with sherry and white wine for Newburg sauce...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/lobsterrecipes/r/bl61230g.htm

Offline debk

« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »
Actually, I think I found what I'd rather do, since I really don't feel like messing with sherry and white wine for Newburg sauce...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/lobsterrecipes/r/bl61230g.htm

You know what would be even easier?

When my aunt and uncle were alive, they lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, right on the water, and trapped their own crabs.

My aunt made the best Crab Imperial I've ever had.

She would mix claw meat with chopped green pepper and pimento, a bit of pepper, and just enough mayonnaise to moisten it completely. She'd mound it up in the really big clam shells that she had picked up on the beach on Hatteras Island, then put buttered dried bread crumbs on top. Bake them for about 15 minutes at 350. Just enough to "bubble".

I've done the same thing, but added a little bit of green onion, parsley, and shrimp, and put in rameikins and bake for a bit longer. I've also done it with lobster tail meat instead of the crab.

It difficult to get decent crabmeat around here without paying a flipping fortune for it....canned is just not quite right for anything other than a dip.  :(

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2010, 04:36:31 PM »
Oh I love Crab Imperial.  Haven't had any since my last trip to DC.  And Sparky?  Can you please zip it about the danged lobstah????

Bad enough my Kittery family rubs it in, I don't need it here too.   :banghead:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

Yeah, but ya'll don't have FRANKFURTER rolls, which are like hot dog rolls, but you can grill the sides.

The "perfect" lobster roll:

Frankfurter roll, grilled with butter on the sides.  Lobster meat with just enough mayo to hold it together, no filler, no lettuce, no celery.

Oh, and you better make your plans NOW if you want to come up to Rockland.  Maine Lobster Festival is 4-8 August.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »
Yeah, but ya'll don't have FRANKFURTER rolls, which are like hot dog rolls, but you can grill the sides.

The "perfect" lobster roll:

Frankfurter roll, grilled with butter on the sides.  Lobster meat with just enough mayo to hold it together, no filler, no lettuce, no celery.

Oh, and you better make your plans NOW if you want to come up to Rockland.  Maine Lobster Festival is 4-8 August.

:lalala:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
Oh I love Crab Imperial.  Haven't had any since my last trip to DC.  And Sparky?  Can you please zip it about the danged lobstah????

Bad enough my Kittery family rubs it in, I don't need it here too.   :banghead:

LOL...Kittery, huh?  Do they bust your chops about having to "suffer" through the likes of places like Bob's Clam Hut and Robert's Maine Grill 2 for 1 oysters every Monday?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:47:45 PM by NHSparky »

Offline debk

« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
RB and I had lobster rolls up in Bar Harbour last summer.....OMG.... :drool: