Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325441 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
Mmmm, caramelized onions.  Great on burgers.

I bought a sirloin roast the other day and forgot about it during the week.  Heating up the oven now. :yum:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »
Great idea, Chris.

Maybe I'll make some hamburgers with caramelized onions next weekend.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
Caramelized onions and chipotle bbq sauce is pretty good.

My favorite burger sounds a little off-putting until you try it... red onion slices, chopped jalapeno peppers, melted nacho cheese, and a dab of sour cream.  Delicious.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »

Hey, Crocks....how are you feeling? I was wondering about you yesterday, cause I haven't seen any of your posts.....

Not bad, weaning myself off pain killers, still have a little angina now and then. Popping a nitro tab makes it go away. I start cardiac rehab any time now, just waiting for the paperwork to get from my cardiologist to the nurses at the rehab place.

I usually post in the DUmp forum.

Offline debk

« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
Not bad, weaning myself off pain killers, still have a little angina now and then. Popping a nitro tab makes it go away. I start cardiac rehab any time now, just waiting for the paperwork to get from my cardiologist to the nurses at the rehab place.

I usually post in the DUmp forum.

Good to hear you are improving. I was just concerned.

Y'all are making me hungry!!! I had a steamed bag of sweet peas with sliced mushrooms in garlic butter sauce and in ice cream sandwich.

One more Friday without meat. I didn't goof up once this Lent....so far. I don't eat meat every day, but there is something about giving it up, that makes me crave it on that day. It's driving the "boys" crazy too.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2010, 10:28:23 PM »
What about the burgers with the bleu cheese INSIDE them?  And of course, bacony goodness on top.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »
What about the burgers with the bleu cheese INSIDE them?  And of course, bacony goodness on top.

OMG!!!!!

Went to a super upscale new bar downtown a couple of weeks ago....and AFTER midnight had this incredible burger.

Medium rare ground round with oodles of worchestershire sauce mixed into it. On a thin Kaiser roll, with red onion, crumbled Feta, plum tomato, and leaf lettuce.

Granted, I was craving meat....but it was a "to die for" burger!!!!  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »
You kiddin?  I haven't BBQ'ed a burger without Worcestershire sauce in I don't know how long. 

Speaking of upscale burger joints, it kind of pissed me off that the Mirage in Vegas took out the tiger exhibit in the hotel and turned it into a burger joint.  Now if you want to see the tigers, you've got to pay the $15 admission.

Or maybe they're making tiger burgers.  Who knows?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »
I don't think I've ever put Worcestershire sauce on a burger... just never occurred to me.  I think A1 is just W-sauce and ketchup mixed together, anyway.  Not exactly great stuff.

Offline debk

« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
You kiddin?  I haven't BBQ'ed a burger without Worcestershire sauce in I don't know how long. 

Speaking of upscale burger joints, it kind of pissed me off that the Mirage in Vegas took out the tiger exhibit in the hotel and turned it into a burger joint.  Now if you want to see the tigers, you've got to pay the $15 admission.

Or maybe they're making tiger burgers.  Who knows?

I've always put worchestershire sauce in them too. But this was A LOT in it. As in dump in the whole bottle....sounds like it would be gross, because it was so much....but it was delicious. I always heavy (for me) salt and pepper red meat, and it didn't need either.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2010, 10:53:52 PM »
Problem with that is if you get someone with a high blood pressure issue, that's not a good thing.  One thing I don't like is when people try to hide the flavor of the meat with stuff like that.  I use spices, etc., to try to ENHANCE, not hide.

Probably why, when in the frozen tundra of Iowa, I would have cut the Worcestershire down to the bare minimum, had I been able to use that beef.  Here, I'll use a bit more.  Pretty much how I use my spices when I cook seafood.  Here, the need for spices or stuff to "hide" the fish taste is almost nonexistent, because in most cases it's so fresh.

Offline debk

« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2010, 10:57:20 PM »
Problem with that is if you get someone with a high blood pressure issue, that's not a good thing.  One thing I don't like is when people try to hide the flavor of the meat with stuff like that.  I use spices, etc., to try to ENHANCE, not hide.

Probably why, when in the frozen tundra of Iowa, I would have cut the Worcestershire down to the bare minimum, had I been able to use that beef.  Here, I'll use a bit more.  Pretty much how I use my spices when I cook seafood.  Here, the need for spices or stuff to "hide" the fish taste is almost nonexistent, because in most cases it's so fresh.

I never used A-1 on neat until I moved here. I just can't get beef like I grew up with, or have had when I went back to the midwest.

I don't have high blood pressure, but I do have to watch my salt intake, as I take lasix 2x's a day.

That burger was soooo worth it though... :drool:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »
I don't think I've ever put Worcestershire sauce on a burger... just never occurred to me.  I think A1 is just W-sauce and ketchup mixed together, anyway.  Not exactly great stuff.

I'll throw 2-3 tablespoons per pound of ground beef, a little more if you're using the lower fat hamburger.  I also like just a bit of seasoned salt and about 1 tsp of Tabasco, maybe some onion (either fresh or dehydrated) and a bit of garlic powder.

And no, A1 isn't that-- too much vinegar in there.  If I'm going to put sauce on a steak, I'll take Bearnaise, if I'm not eating prime rib.  If I am eating prime rib, it's straight horseradish and a little bit of au jus.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »
I never used A-1 on neat until I moved here. I just can't get beef like I grew up with, or have had when I went back to the midwest.

I don't have high blood pressure, but I do have to watch my salt intake, as I take lasix 2x's a day.

That burger was soooo worth it though... :drool:

That's my problem.  I was spoiled for good meat before I moved here.  If I'm spending $10/lb for ribeye (or more), it better be fork tender.  The reason steak tips are so popular in New England is because it's their way of admitting the meat SUCKS.  I've tried local places, and any of them that are worth a damn get their meat shipped in.  Good luck finding anyplace that sells a side of beef, or even a quarter.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2010, 11:09:03 PM »
I found a cheap cut of meat that has the same marbling and flavor of a ribeye.  If you can find eye of chuck (not chuck round, chuck filet, or chuck whatever), it sells for about $4 a pound here.  Pretty cheap when you compare it to a ribeye sells for -- about $7+ per pound.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »
I use basically the same mix as Sparky. Some Worcestershire, teriyaki and soy sauce (a small portion of both) and a bit of Tabasco in a spray bottle while cooking and throw some Lawry's salt on both sides.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:18:06 PM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
I found a cheap cut of meat that has the same marbling and flavor of a ribeye.  If you can find eye of chuck (not chuck round, chuck filet, or chuck whatever), it sells for about $4 a pound here.  Pretty cheap when you compare it to a ribeye sells for -- about $7+ per pound.

$7/lb ribeye?  Not around here.  More like $8-9 if we're lucky.  And I don't have it all that often.  I actually prefer a nice London Broil, as long as it's done on a low heat, or a sirloin which I have a killer beer sauce for.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »

We have the University Farm (Chico) right down the road from work. I stopped by there on fri and picked up a couple of boneless chuck roasts for $2.50 lb. I did one of them in the oven with beef broth. Best I've ever had.
They also had flank and skirt for 4.50 lb (picked up 2 ea), not cheap but beats the hell out of the grocery stores. I'll probably make Mechaca tacos out of one of the flanks.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »
I roasted a top sirloin roast to medium rare the other day... it was pretty damn good.  Got some chuck steaks in the fridge at home, but I'm working late and probably won't get to them until tomorrow.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »
I baked a lasagna yesterday....so I had leftovers... :-)

I used Barilla no-bake noodles...and they were great...tasted like home-made pasta.  This was my first time using the no-bake variety, so I wasn't sure about it...but would certainly buy these again.

Offline JLO

« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
I baked a lasagna yesterday....so I had leftovers... :-)

I used Barilla no-bake noodles...and they were great...tasted like home-made pasta.  This was my first time using the no-bake variety, so I wasn't sure about it...but would certainly buy these again.

I found an easy way to get your own no-bake lasagna noodles.  I've actually been doing it for years, just because I hated touching those slimy cooked noodles. :(

Just soak the noodles in warm water in the lasagna pan while you're making the fixings.  By the time that's done, the noodles are perfect. Not slimy, but work good, I just make sure my tomato mixture is pretty saucy.

Gosh, I haven't made lasagna in awhile, sounds good.    :drool:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
Butterscotch pudding...snack pack.  And ice cold milk.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »
I made fried fish for dinner. It was nice to see my daughter eat fish not in stick form.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »
I made fried fish for dinner. It was nice to see my daughter eat fish not in stick form.

"Have you ever seen a minced fish?"

Those commercials are too cute.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
LOL! Yeah, that little girl is funny!