Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325371 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »
I was looking to avoid tomato-based sauces on this one--I was looking more for alfredo or a white-wine sauce.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2010, 08:31:58 AM »
I was looking to avoid tomato-based sauces on this one--I was looking more for alfredo or a white-wine sauce.

In that case, melt butter, add cream and grated parmesean, some pepper, and carefully add salt as you taste. I start with a stick of butter... :-),  1/2 c of parmesean, and enough cream (or half and half or milk depending on how rich you want it) until desired consistency.

Some people add a bit of nutmeg, but I don't care for it in Alfredo.

Butoni makes a good pesto, that is kept with the fresh pasta in a refrigerated case. good and easier than fresh.

Eupher cooks with wine, I don't so can't really help you there.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »
Making a pot of jewish penicillin for supper tonight.  Got one confirmed and two probable sickies in the house.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
Grilled cheese on sourdough for me.  Nothing like a classic.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
a swai fillet sauteed more or less like I did the tilapia a few weeks ago
small baked potato with cheddar cheese melted over
steamed beets and broccoli with lemon juice and parmesean
cottage cheese
whole wheat roll
glass of soy milk

Offline debk

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »
takeout  :-)

Boys are going to Hibatchi to pick up dinner.

I worked most of the night, went to a 3 hr continuing ed class this morning, have done 2 reports and have 2 more to get done before 6:15 tonight.

Cook dinner?.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

In that case, melt butter, add cream and grated parmesean, some pepper, and carefully add salt as you taste. I start with a stick of butter... :-),  1/2 c of parmesean, and enough cream (or half and half or milk depending on how rich you want it) until desired consistency.

Some people add a bit of nutmeg, but I don't care for it in Alfredo.

Butoni makes a good pesto, that is kept with the fresh pasta in a refrigerated case. good and easier than fresh.

Eupher cooks with wine, I don't so can't really help you there.

Sounds like a beurre blanc is in order.

Getcher stick of unsalted butter and cut up into chunks, leave in the fridge up till the time you start adding it to the sauce.

Mince a shallot and in a heavy skillet (stainless only, no cast iron), sweat in a couple tablespoons of butter. Season with salt and pepper, but go easy on the salt. (Some purists like to use white pepper, but that shit has no flavor to it.)

When the shallots are softened, add a minced garlic clove.

Add about a cup of DRY white wine, bring up the heat to reduce the volume by about 80%. It'll burn, so don't wander far. (Some recipes add wine vinegar, but I think there's enough acid with just the dry white wine.)

After reduction, add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream. It stabilizes the sauce and helps keep it from breaking.

Turn the heat down and begin whisking in the cold butter, a couple pieces at a time. Add the next couple pieces of butter while the first two are about half melted - this keeps the sauce fairly cool and also helps keep it from breaking, though the cream does a helluva job with stabilizing.

At the end, reseason to taste, add capers if you like, etc. Stir in your pasta and voila!

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
Looks like Chicken Fried steak here for us tonight.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
Sounds like a beurre blanc is in order.

Getcher stick of unsalted butter and cut up into chunks, leave in the fridge up till the time you start adding it to the sauce.

Mince a shallot and in a heavy skillet (stainless only, no cast iron), sweat in a couple tablespoons of butter. Season with salt and pepper, but go easy on the salt. (Some purists like to use white pepper, but that shit has no flavor to it.)

When the shallots are softened, add a minced garlic clove.

Add about a cup of DRY white wine, bring up the heat to reduce the volume by about 80%. It'll burn, so don't wander far. (Some recipes add wine vinegar, but I think there's enough acid with just the dry white wine.)

After reduction, add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream. It stabilizes the sauce and helps keep it from breaking.

Turn the heat down and begin whisking in the cold butter, a couple pieces at a time. Add the next couple pieces of butter while the first two are about half melted - this keeps the sauce fairly cool and also helps keep it from breaking, though the cream does a helluva job with stabilizing.

At the end, reseason to taste, add capers if you like, etc. Stir in your pasta and voila!

This sounds like the sauce over meat ravioli we had at a very expensive restaurant a year or so ago.  I note there is no EVOO in your recipie. If I remember correctly there was EVOO, not in the sauce but run around the edge of the plate.

Because of the storm we had last night, winds at 91 mph gusts and all the outage's [we are blessed to have kept power], The  grocery stores lost power and they had to scramble to get the meat, milk and eggs into refrigeration. Little to choose from except canned goods.

Hubby had a can of Dintey More beef stew, me baked beans and hot dogs. They  should be, the stores, back to normal tomorrow, but it will be a few weeks before I trust take out, Chinese, as fresh.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
Pasta, shrimp, and garlic bread.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2010, 08:07:09 PM »
Homemade Spaghetti Carbonara.

Because I have to watch my cholesterol.  My swan song.  Pasta with bacon, eggs, cheese, and butter. :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
I had that last night :II:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
The Brussels Sprouts thread in the dumpster gave me a craving, so I'm having roasted brussels sprouts with red beans and rice and tortillas. 

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
Hot wings and beer while I'm watching the hockey game.

With Thin Mints for desert.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2010, 09:14:09 AM »
Hot wings and beer while I'm watching the hockey game.

With Thin Mints for desert.

Yeah, it is Girl Scout cookie time, ain't it?   :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »
Put the Thin Mints in the freezer and eat them frozen.... :drool:

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51:28 PM »
Yeah, it is Girl Scout cookie time, ain't it?   :cheersmate:

Oh yeah...  :drool:

Didn't put these ones in the freezer, but I have a couple of boxes on order that will. Best way to eat them.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline thundley4

« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Stay away from these.

Official Statement released by Little Brownie Bakers regarding the recall:
Statement re: Lemon Chalet Crèmes™ Cookies
Little Brownie Bakers recently received a few contacts from consumers informing us of an off taste and smell from certain packages of Lemon Chalet Crème cookies. We immediately took the precautionary step of testing product samples. We determined that while the cookies are safe for consumers to eat, they are not up to our quality standards.

Certain lots of Lemon Chalet Crème cookies contain oils that may be breaking down which can result in an off taste and smell. We are asking that the councils that received these batches return any product inventory in their control to us. The affected Lemon Chalet Crème cookie batches have the following lot codes:

7455881 7455882 7455883
7456741 7456742 7456743
7457661 7457662 7457663
7458521 7458522 7458523
7459401 7459402 7459403

All of the Girl Scout Councils that received these lot codes will be notified directly. We will provide replacement product for councils and consumers. No other Girl Scout cookies are involved.
http://www.examiner.com/x-15347-Philadelphia-Babysitting-Examiner~y2010m2d27-Girl-Scout-Cookie-recall

Offline Flame

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »
Dinner tonight will be tacos and refried beans, etc, by request from the 9 yr old.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »
Tacos are good -- I haven't had them in a while. 

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
baked salmon with maple/dijon/balsamic glaze

Offline debk

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »
Hot roast beef sandwiches and smashed potatoes...

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »
leftover sausage gravy, jazzed up with green chilies over sourdough toast. 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
More steak and taters, left over from last night.  I'm still stoked about the giant casing of chorizo I found the other day.  I'm always glad when I don't have to drive all over Goshen to find the stuff.  It makes good jambalaya, pasta, paella, tacos, and just about anything else you want ground meat.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »
spaghetti in a red clam sauce.